Aerial Photo of Campus
News and Announcements

Sarah Bonilla ’14

Master of Public Health

Posted in: Spotlights

Photo of MPH alumna Sarah Bonilla '14

Program (Degree and Major): Masters in Public Health
Graduation Date: May 2014

Why did you choose this field of study?  Why did you choose the program at Montclair State University? 

I  chose the field of public health because of an internship at the Philadelphia Health Department while I was a sophomore and majoring in Linguistics at MSU. I decided to stay and apply for the program at MSU because I enjoyed my undergraduate experiences, class sizes and exposure.

What were the best parts of your program? 

The best part of the program was meeting the other students and learning about their roles in public health. Everyone had a different focus, which allowed for differing perspectives and various diverse conversations.

What was your favorite class or experience in the program, and why was that so important to you? 

My favorite class was Epidemiology with Dr. Kalen. What he taught was critical thinking and how to analyze the many aspects of a health issue.

Now that you are working in your field, how did your program prepare you for this position? 

Having the opportunity to speak to my professors and receive feedback was very important.

Please tell us about what you are currently doing and what your future plans are. 

I am currently working at Clara Maass Medical Center. I am the Program Manager for the Center of Excellence for Latino Health as well as the Social Impact lead for the facility. I  began adjunct teaching at Montclair State University in the fall 2019 semester.