You may have heard the saying, “Do what you love and you’ll never work a day in your life.” You may also be asking yourself, “How do I figure out what I love?” One of the best ways to gain temporary, “test-it-out” career-related experience is by completing an internship. Employers recruit and hire summer interns during the spring semester. Here are ways to begin your summer internship search.
Get to Know Yourself
A great first step in your job or internship search is to complete a self-assessment. Focus-2 is a self-paced, online planning tool that helps you assess your values, skills and interests, plus explore career fields that are compatible with your assessment results. Students who use Focus-2 make better career decisions. Get Started!
Attend Professional Development and Networking Events
- University Fellows Program (Paid Opportunity on Campus): Learn more about the fellowship program. Tuesday, February 16, 2-3 p.m., Online.
- CART Employer Series – Disney: Learn about career opportunities with Disney. Open to all majors. Wednesday, February 17, 2-3 p.m., Online.
- CART Information Series – WIX: Learn about how to build your online professional portfolio! Open to all majors. Thursday, February 18, 1-2 p.m., Online.
- Teach for America Recruiting Session: Tuesday, February 23, 4-5 p.m., Online.
- Effective Resume Writing: Wednesday, February 24, 11-11:45 a.m., Online.
- CART Employer Series – Ross Stores: Learn about internships. Open to all majors. Wednesday, February 24, 2:30 – 3:30 p.m.
- America Needs You Information Session: Learn about the fellowship program. Open to all majors. Wednesday, February 24, 4-5 p.m.
Have Your Resume Reviewed
As a current student, you must upload a resume and have it approved by your designated career services office in order to apply for internships through Hire a Red Hawk. Learn How to Upload Your Resume.
Apply for Internships in Hire a Red Hawk
New jobs and internships are added to Hire a Red Hawk every day! Below are recently posted internships. To apply for these jobs:
- Log into your Hire a Red Hawk account.
- Click Jobs > Search on the left hand navigation.
- Enter the posting number (listed next to the job title below) in the search bar and click Search.
New Summer Internships
- Edelman: Remote Summer 2021 Internship Program (12627)
- Kandle Dining Services: Dietetics Internship (12647)
- America Needs You: Fellows Program (12661)
- Johnson & Johnson: Consumer Customer Development Intern (12703)
- Prudential: Product/Business Analyst Internship (12565)
- SIRIUS XM + PANDORA: Summer Intern (12309)
Suit Up for Interviews
Whether it is virtual or in-person, employers evaluate a candidate’s professionalism during the interview. The Center for Career Services has partnered with JCPenney to help you build your professional wardrobe. Montclair State students receive an EXTRA 30% off coupon on all career apparel, shoes and accessories. This year, we moved the JCPenney Suit Up event online and extended it until May 2, 2021! Claim Your Coupon Now!
What NOT to Do
Ghosting at work, whether you do it to an employer, or an employer does it to you, causes chaos for all. Not only is ghosting an employer or potential employer unprofessional, but it is also unsafe. In fact, if a student does not show up for a shift at their on-campus job and does not tell their boss ahead of time, supervisors are required to report that student as missing to the University. Networking continues to reign as the most powerful job search technique and ghosting burns bridges. Long story short, even declining a job offer should involve open communication, as evidenced by this email template.
If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.