Photo of Chapin Hall, home of the Cali School of Music
News

From the Navy to NBCU

Anthony Castano graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Film and Television in 2023

Posted in: Career Services Spotlights, Student Success

Headshot image of Anthony Castano

Prior to becoming a Film and Television major, Anthony was studying Television and Digital Media. The newly created Film and Television degree aligned more closely with his passion for production and writing which inspired the switch.

“I realized these passions while serving in the US Navy from 2014 to 2019 while stationed onboard a nuclear submarine,” said Castano. “I chose to be honorably discharged so I could pursue my dream of writing for the screen and producing the visions in my mind while collaborating with other creatives.”

After spending a year applying to various internship roles, Anthony received an internship offer from CNBC. He went to the events and listened to what he was being told.

“I attended numerous panels hosted by NBCUniversal and listened to the questions asked and advice given. When I received an offer my last semester of senior year, I was more than ready to seize the moment,” said Castano.

Anthony was more than ready for this opportunity, but he understands there are other ways to gain experience.

“I think an internship can be very beneficial for gaining experience in an industry one is interested in entering,” said Castano. “However, not everybody’s lives are the same, and gaining experience in doing other jobs or activities can provide similar qualities of a proper candidate for the job someone might be looking for.”

After graduation he was accepted into NBCU’s Page Program. This unique program allows people to gain experience and exposure in the media industry.

“NBCU’s historic Page Program is a full-time job within the company fulfilling ambassadorship duties, working on assignments across the company portfolio to expose us to undeniably the best experience in the TV/digital media industry, and assisting with audience services for live studio productions when called upon,” said Castano.

Anthony has found a career that allows him to pursue his passions. In his current position, he gets to see his work in real-time.

“One thing I love about my current position is that I get to work with the SYFY Multiplatform Promotional Planning and Strategy team, and that involves me getting to schedule various on-air graphics and promotions for the network,” said Castano. “Then, I find myself at home or in restaurants or at the gym and see the work on a TV screen and it makes me feel very satisfied. Plus, I get to stay up to date with all the awesome new shows and movies that come out!”

His advice to current students is to master your soft skills and take chances.

“Get good at the basics (showing up on time, communicating, doing your homework, etc.) and the rest will come with ease,” said Castano. “Also, if there’s something stopping you from taking a chance, go for it.”

Anthony is very happy with his current position, but he does wish to further his education and obtain a Master of Fine Arts degree in Screenwriting and Directing.

“MSU helped prepare me for my career by providing a great faculty that had numerous industry professionals with years of great experience,” said Castano. “They were able to help pass on knowledge and set the standard in classes for doing great work anywhere.”

Written by Sophia Ruggiero