Photo of Chapin Hall, home of the Cali School of Music
News

From School News to Professional Producer: Navigating the Path to News 12

Louis Biondolillo

Posted in: Alumni Success Stories, Career Services News, Career Services Spotlights, College News and Announcements, Student Success

Header image of Louis Biondolillo

Ever wonder how one transforms a passion into a thriving career in TV and digital media? Delving into the journey of Louis Biondolillo, a dedicated producer at News 12 New Jersey, unveils valuable insights into the industry. Louis shares, “It started in high school with our daily TV news program that aired for the school. That program inspired me to start a life in this career.”

His time at Montclair and active participation in the Montclair News Lab proved pivotal in career preparation. Louis emphasizes, “I was in the class 6 out of my 8 semesters at Montclair, and sat in on the class during an additional semester during my freshman year. When you put the effort in, the News Lab teaches you almost everything you need to know about a newsroom.” Reflecting on his internship at News 12, Louis stresses the significance of preparation in the interview process. “My education at the School of Communication and Media, especially for the writing exam, prepared me well for the challenges.” He then describes his interview process. “First, I had a phone interview with HR. They asked me mostly generic questions about my experience. Then came the interview with the assistant news director. She asked important questions about my passions and goals for the future. I was then asked to take part in a writing exam, where I had to write scripts for news stories and events using the same press releases I would be given in the newsroom.”

Louis asserts the importance of internships, stating, “Having an internship is so important. It gives you an idea of what you’re getting into for (hopefully) the rest of your career. My internship was amazing.” Even in a virtual setting, the internship provided valuable real-world experience. When coming back in office he was able to work on all sorts of assignments, “I was able to field produce our reporter’s story about New York’s hometown heroes parade. I was also able to produce my own shows with supervision.” Describing the transition to a full-time producing role, Louis expresses enthusiasm. “I was able to be more creative with the shows I produced, adding my own flair to the news. Creating a show every day definitely helped me.” As an overnight producer, Louis thrives on the responsibility of “setting the tone” for the day. He says his favorite part is, “creating a well-thought-out morning show for our viewers every day. As the overnight producer…It’s a big responsibility but, I couldn’t be happier doing what I love.”

Offering advice to aspiring newsroom professionals, Louis underscores the importance of embracing critiques for personal growth. “My biggest advice to anyone looking to work in a newsroom is something I’m still working on myself: taking critiques as what they are: critiques. When someone who’s been in the industry for a long time gives you criticism, take the advice and apply it to your work. Try to improve at least one thing every day. If you do that, you’ll be 1000% better after a few months of working.” In conclusion, Louis’ journey from high school news programs to News 12 New Jersey illustrates the profound impact of passion, education, and internships in shaping a successful career in the dynamic realm of TV and digital media.

Written By Ashley Rodriguez