- Current degree-seeking undergraduate CHSS students who already have an internship secured for the summer
- All CHSS majors
- Minimum 2.0 overall GPA (no rounding)
Who is not eligible?
- Programs that require you to pay a fee to obtain an internship or for training, housing, etc. will not be considered. This includes service vacations.
- Students taking courses at CHSS/MSU for one semester but seeking degrees from other universities are not eligible.
- Previous winners of the Internship Grant are not eligible. However, students who are not awarded a grant may reapply.
- Students interning at companies/organizations that do not follow MSU’s non-discrimination EEO policy or ethical agreement are not eligible.
- Faculty/Staff Letter of Recommendation
- Employer Verification Letter
Application Deadlines: Priority Deadline – April 20th, 2023, Regular Deadline – May 1st, 2023
Applications will not be reviewed until after the deadline. Questions will not be answered about specific applications. Incomplete or incorrect applications will be disqualified and will not be returned to you for revision.
Requirements of the internship position:
- Unpaid, but you may receive a stipend, meals, subway pass, etc.
- The offer must be secured prior to applying (an employer verification form is a required part of the application)
- Must be a minimum of 120 hours
- Completed during the summer months
- You must have defined duties and a specific supervisor
- Virtual internships are eligible
Students can earn academic credit but it is not required. (Non Co-op and Co-op students will be considered.) Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about earning academic credit for your internship.
Expectations of recipients:
- Students must complete the internship in order to receive the funds.
- Students may be asked to serve on internship panels that the CHSS Career Services sponsors in the future.
- Students will be asked to complete a survey rating their overall experience.
What is the scholarship amount?
Can I intern abroad?
- An international internship must be coordinated through a Montclair State study abroad program, or you must be getting academic credit through a Montclair State internship course.
- Awards for internships as part of Montclair State Study Abroad programs vary according to which program you choose.
- Students working in summer internships abroad are encouraged to apply, however they must meet the same requirements in order to qualify.
- Programs that require you to transfer your credits back to Montclair State are not eligible.
What is the selection process?
- The application is selective, and applicants are not guaranteed a grant on the basis of applying.
- Our selection committee consists of the CHSS Student Services staff.
- Multiple criteria, including GPA, financial need, quality and thoughtfulness of application answers, and faculty/staff recommendation are considered.
- Financial need is considered, but not required.
How will I receive the money?
You will be paid bi-weekly throughout the internship in coordination with the CHSS Dean’s Office. More details will be provided after scholarships are awarded.
What is the Decision Timeline?
- Priority Deadline: April 20th, 2023
- Regular Deadline: May 1st, 2023
- Applicants will be notified by May 8th, 2023
For questions about CHSS Unpaid Internship Scholarships please contact email@example.com