What is an internship?
At Montclair State, you may be able to gain academic credit for your internship through a cooperative education (co-op) course!
What is Co-op?
Co-op is a credit-bearing course that allows you to earn credit for your internship. This must be taken during the same semester that you have your internship. In this course, you will reflect on your internship experience and learning.
This is a permit-only course, meaning that you must receive approval from Career Services in order for them to issue a permit to enroll. Please view our information session video above and schedule a meeting with a Career Advisor to learn more.
- Fall 2023: Friday, August 18th, 2023 at 11:59pm
- Spring 2024: Friday, January 5th, 2024 at 11:59pm
- Summer 2024: Friday, May 3rd, 2024 at 11:59pm
How Do I Find an Internship?
You can start your search by utilizing the following:
- Search for internship opportunities on Handshake, Indeed, LinkedIn, Idealist, company websites, etc.
- Attend a career fair. It is never too early to meet with employers, introduce yourself and learn about potential jobs. Attend a Montclair State University Career Fair and meet with 60+ employers in one room – view events.
- Professors – if you develop a strong positive relationship with a faculty member, they may be able to support you meeting individuals within their network. Keep in mind that faculty serve many students so they need to know you well enough to give a recommendation.
- Attend University corporate information sessions – view events.
- Your friends and family. Ask your friends and family if they know anyone working in companies where you have interests.
- Reach out directly to employers that you are interested in and ask if they would be interested in having an intern for the upcoming semester.
- Join a student organization to help you build a network of other students.
Meet with Career Services for Assistance!
Career Advisors can help you develop your resume, cover letter, and interview skills to prepare for the internship/job search. They can also help guide you through the search. Schedule with a CHSS Career Advisor through Handshake!