Parking On Campus
Undergraduate Resident students with 29 credits or less are not eligible for parking permits on campus. Any student with an extenuating circumstance may request a parking exception to acquire a permit that their status would normally not allow them to obtain. To request an exception, complete the request form. Please note that work purposes are not a valid exception request.
Resident students with 30 credits or more are permitted to park on campus. All students parking on Montclair State University’s campus must be registered to a valid resident permit.
All Montclair State University permits are virtual, meaning they are linked to your license plate number (no hang tags or decals). Make sure your vehicle information is accurate.
Below is a list of the following permit options and pricing. To find out more information on when and where you can park with the following permits, check out the Parking Regulations Page.
|0-29||NONE (See Parking Exception Form)||NA|
(Must purchase in Red Hawk Parking Service Office)
|$100.00 (Plus tax)|
|30-89||NJ Transit Permit||$400.00 (No tax)|
|30-89||Resident Exemption Permit||$400.00 (No tax)|
|60+||Red Hawk Deck||$400.00 (No tax)|
|60+||Semester Red Hawk Deck (Fall or Spring)||$205.00 (No tax)|
|90+||Senior Resident Parking Permit||$350.00 (No tax)|
|90+||Semester Senior Resident Permit (Fall or Spring)||$180.00 (No tax)|
|90+||NJ Transit Permit||$400.00 (No tax)|
Residents can purchase a permit through our online Portal. Permits become available for sale on August 1st.
Certain permit options such as NJ Transit or Red Hawk Deck permit, have time restrictions. There are other parking options available to those to park on campus. During those time restricted hours, students can utilize one of the following Pay by hour options:
|Commuter Surface Lots/Car Parc Diem (Paybyphone):
Location Code Loc# 4040
|Lot 19 (Paybyphone or meters):
Location Code Loc# 4038
Please Note: There are 15 minute drop-off parking spaces located by residential buildings. This is a courtesy to the university community to avoid unnecessary parking in fire zones. Please adhere to the 15 minute time limit as they are strictly enforced.
- Can freshman and sophomore residents have vehicles on campus?
- Residents with less than 30 credits are not eligible to register or park a vehicle on campus due to limited parking capacity.
- Resident students who have 30 credits can purchase a NJ Transit permit or RE permit. NJ Transit permits are purchased by Montclair State University and resold to Sophomore students from NJ Transit parking operators at no additional cost to the students.
- How can I update my parking account information?
- Visit our Manage Parking Account page to make any updates or changes.
- Can I have multiple vehicles listed on my account?
- You can have multiple vehicles listed on your permit but only one vehicle can park on campus at a time. You can add a vehicle on your account by going to the Parking Services Website, selecting account info, selecting “Manage account”, login, then select “Vehicles” at the top. Add vehicles as needed.
- What are the procedures for accessible parking?
- Anyone that has been issued a state-issued hang tag or license plate through their local municipality/township may park in any accessible parking space in any lot or deck on campus. A parking permit or payment using Paybyphone is required along with the accessible hang tag/plate. MSU Parking Services does not issue accessible parking permits.
- As a student, when can I park in Lot 19?
- If you have a resident permit, you can park in Lot 19 from 4:00 pm -6:00 am on Monday-Thursday and 4:00 pm Friday – 6:00 am Monday. You MUST pay if parked in a metered spot. If you are in a metered spot, you must Paybyphone using code Loc# 4038.
- I got a ticket, what do I do now?
- How can I avoid a ticket?
- Purchasing a parking permit and adhering to the regulations is the best way to avoid receiving a citation. When utilizing Paybyphone, make sure all information is entered accurately before walking away from your vehicle.