The Inserra Chair is pleased to share a list of a select number of relevant cultural programs off campus in the vibrant Italian region encompassing NJ and NY. Such programs include film festivals, theatre festivals, art exhibits, etc. These activities are listed here to inform our students about activities related to Italian arts and culture in our area. They are not organized by the Inserra Chair.
In sharing information about these events, the Inserra Chair’s goal is to encourage students of Italian to take advantage of and enjoy the unique resources of a city like New York which is one of the most Italian cities outside of Italy.
NYC can be easily reached via direct bus (Decamp 66) or train (NJ Transit) from campus. Click for specific directions by bus and by train.
- In Scena!: Italian Theater Festival NYC in the five boroughs
- Open Roads: New Italian Cinema at Lincoln Center, NYC
- The Metropolitan Opera
- The Metropolitan Museum (besides the general exhibitions, check for specific exhibit about Italian art on the museum website)
See also PAC in Newark, NJ for Italian operas occasionally included in their calendar
- Marisa Merz: The Sky is a Great Space (Metropolitan Museum, NY, Jan. 24-May 7)
- Renaissance Maiolica: Painted Pottery for Shelf and Table (Metropolitan Museum, NY, through May 29)
- Renaissance Portrait Medals from the Robert Lehman Collection(Metropolitan Museum, NY, through May 29)
- Carlo Zinelli (1916–1974) (American Folk Art Museum, NY, March 14-Aug. 20)
This first monographic museum exhibition on Carlo Zinelli in the United States coincides with the 100th anniversary of the birth of this major Italian artist associated to art brut.
Don Giovanni by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Metropolitan Opera, NY, through May 11)
Design Within Reach (Paramus, NJ, look for events about Italian Design)
List of centers and institutes who offer a regular calendar of Italian programs:
- Italian Cultural Institute, New York
- Consulate General of Italy in New York
- Casa Italiana Zerilli Marimò
- Centro Primo Levi New York
- The Italian Academy for Advanced Studies in America (at Columbia University)
- Calandra Italian American Institute (at Queens College)
For a full and detailed calendar of Italian events in New York, see online magazines i-Italy and La Voce di New York
For information please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org