- Italiani che lasciano l’Italia: A Book Presentation (virtual event in Italian only)
Tuesday Feb. 23 12-2pm EST (5-7pm GMT in UK)
Organized by ISO (Italian Studies at the University of Oxford, UK)
in collaboration with the University of Bergen (Norway) and the Inserra Endowed Chair at Montclair State University
Speakers: Marco Alberio (Université du Québec à Rimouski) and Fabio Berti (Università di Siena), co-editors of the book
Respondents: Teresa Fiore (Montclair State) and Monica Miscali (Norwegian University of Science and Technology).
Moderated by: Guido Bonsaver (University of Oxford)
- An Online Lecture by Lizzie Collingham, followed by a Q&A
Sunday March 7 2pm EST
In connection with the project Food, Hunger, Migration and the American Myth in Sicily at the Time of the WWII Allied Landing
In partnership with Associazione Memento, a Sicily-based non-profit dedicated to the memory of the Allied Landing in Licata (Italy).
In collaboration with the Italian Program (Dept. of World Languages and Cultures), the Department of Nutrition and Food Studies, and the Department of History.
Included in the series “Dentro/Afuera: The Interconnections between Italian and Latin American/Spanish Cultures”
Linked to the Italian Program (Dept. of World Languages and Cultures) and the Facoltà di Lettere e Filosofia di Palermo (Lingua e Traduzione Spagnola)
- An online presentation by Mark Rotella
Designed in connection with the GenEd course “Italian Americans in Film,” offered at MSU
Date TBA 12:45-2:00pm EST – Zoom meeting with limited spots available
Linked to the Italian Program (Dept. of World Languages and Cultures)
- A panel of presenters (Charles Burdett, Loredana Polezzi, Derek Duncan and Jennifer Burns), moderated by Teresa Fiore (Inserra Chair, Montclair State University) with respondents Giulia Riccò (University of Michigan) and Serena Bassi (Yale University) of the Transnational Italian Studies Research Network (MLA)
Sun. Oct. 4, 2020 (online event)
An event in collaboration with the Italian Program (Dept. of World Languages and Cultures) and Transnational Italian Studies Research Network (Modern Language Association)
Included in the new series “Dentro/Afuera: The Interconnections between Italian and Latin American/Spanish Cultures”
A partnership with the Accademia del Cinema Italiano Premi David di Donatello (the Italian equivalent of the Oscar Awards)
In connection with the course project Italian for Spanish Speakers offered at MSU
In collaboration with the Italian Program (Dept. of World Languages and Cultures)
Ongoing research projects
- An in-progress research project about food practices and human mobility before and after 1943. Supported by the Angelo and Marie Cali Fund for Italian Studies and the Inserra Endowment at MSU
Ongoing programs for college and high school students
- After three successful editions, the 2020-21 paid internship program promises new partnerships and expanded opportunities for our students thanks to the support of the Inserra Endowment. Stay tuned for updates!
- The only Italian program in the US designed in an intensive summer format for high school students on a university campus includes guest speakers and off-campus tours, a residential option, intern opportunities and a wide range of scholarships. A collaborative effort at all levels, the course relies on a network of high schools and the support of the Italian government and the Italian American community.
Credit for header image: Lucio Fontana (an Italo-Argentinian artist), “Concetto Spaziale, Attese 1961 2” (source)