Links Relevant to the Inserra Programs (collaborations, etc.)
Links about the Study of Italian, Foreign Languages, and the Humanities
- Lead with Italian (ACTFL page: Why Learn Italian – advantages and benefits)
- Choose Italian: Video (scroll down the page) about the relevance of studying Italian, especially through study abroad and internships (note that the video refers to courses and degrees offered in the UK/Ireland, but its message is relevant in the U.S. as well)
- Italiamo! The New Free App to Learn Italian (a tool developed and offered by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, MAECI)
- “From Bello to Biùtiful. What is happening to our Italian language?” Video of Annamaria Testa’s TED Talk a TEDxMilano (Testa defends Italian from the influence of English)
- Double major in Italian and Biology Wins Fulbright Scholarship for Palermo-based Project on Immigration in the Mediterranean.
- Diversity in Italian Studies (or lack thereof): “Race and Foreign Language” by Deborah Parker (Inside Higher Ed, June 2018)
- “An Ecosystem for Language Professionals to Help Bridge the Gap” (RWS Moravia Blog, 20 Sep 2016 )
- “Monolingualism diminishes America’s stature on the world stage” (The Hill, March 2018)
- “What is the Future of English in the U.S.? In Today’s Changing World, Could Monolingual Americans Be Left Behind?” (by Bryan Lufkin, BBC, Aug. 2018)
- “Gutting US foreign language education will cost us for generations” by Ruth Ben-Ghiat (CNN Tue January 29, 2019).
- “As Humanities Majors Decline, Colleges Try to Hype Up Their Programs” (Jeffrey Selingo, The Atlantic, Nov 1, 2018)
- “English majors, rejoice: Employers want you more than business majors” (Aimee Picchi, CBS News, MoneyWatch, October 26, 2018)
- “The surprising thing Google learned about its employees — and what it means for today’s students” (Washington Post, Dec. 2017) – Article about the crucial skills provided by the Humanities in comparison with STEM-related knowledge.
- “Higher Learning: Want a Great Employ? Hire a Dancer” (Barbara Feldman for The Herald Tribune, April 2016)
- “Doubly Prepared: Students Expand Their Horizons with Double Majors”(Jeremy Schwab, Boston University, Arts&Sciences Magazine, Fall 2013)