Spring 2020 (programs were suspended due to COVID-19 and will be rescheduled at a later date)
Italian Information Designer Giorgia Lupi on Data Humanism
- A presentation on data visualization, moderated by Teresa Fiore (Inserra Chair, Montclair State University)
DATE TBA 6:30-8:30pm (Feliciano School of Business Lecture Hall 101)
In collaboration with the Italian Program (Dept. of Modern Languages and Literatures), the Art and Design Dept. (Product Design and Visual Communication Design) and the Sociology Dept. (graduate degree in social research and analysis and graduate certificate in data collection and management).
Plurilingual and Pluricultural Education in the Global Era: New Challenges and Opportunities – A Presentation by Barbara Spinelli (Columbia University)
An event on language teaching and learning in universities characterized by strong diversity. Linked to the new teaching project Italian for Spanish Speakers and MSU’s designation as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI).
Mon. March 23, 2020 (Conference Center Ballroom, University Hall 7th Floor)
6:15-7:30 TALK (public event)
7:45-8:45 pm MINI-WORKSHOP – limited seating
In collaboration with the Italian Program (Dept. of Modern Languages and Literatures), the Dept. of Linguistics, the Dept. of Political Science and Law, the Office for Faculty Advancement, the Office of Hispanic Serving Initiatives, the MSUNER (Network for Educational Renewal), and The Agenda for Education in a Democracy at MSU, as well as IACE (Italian American Committee on Education) linked to the General Consulate of Italy in NYC.
Screening (at the) Golden Door: Actor Vincenzo Amato Discusses Emanuele Crialese’s Film about Immigration from Italy to the U.S.
(In-class presentation: Very limited seating)
- A conversation accompanied by select film clips and moderated by Teresa Fiore (Inserra Chair, Montclair State University)
Thur. Sept. 12, 2019 1-2:15 p.m. (CS – Schmitt Hall 125)
Critical Made in Italy Part 5: Environment and Nutrition
- A Panel Discussion with Dr. Maurizio Cellura (University of Palermo, Italy) and with Wayne DeFeo (DeFeo Associates Environmental Consulting, NJ)
Thur. Sept. 26, 2019 6:30-8:30 p.m. (Lecture Hall 101, Feliciano School of Business)
In collaboration with the Italian Program (Dept. of Modern Languages and Literatures), the Dept. of Earth and Environmental Studies, and the Dept. of Nutrition and Food Studies at MSU
Anna Piaggi: Creativity and Passion in and Beyond Fashion
- A Lecture by Stefano Piaggi (President of the Anna Piaggi Foundation), including excerpts from Alina Marazzi’s documentary Anna Piaggi: una visionaria della moda
Wed. Oct. 9, 2019 6:30-8pm (School of Communication and Media 1040)
Co-organized and co-sponsored by the Fashion Studies Program (Art and Design Dept.), in collaboration with the Italian Program (Dept. of Modern Languages and Literatures) at MSU.
Unbuilding Walls, Expanding Cultural Horizons: Jhumpa Lahiri on Translation
- A conversation with Pulitzer-Prize-winning writer, moderated by Teresa Fiore (Inserra Chair, Montclair State University)
Mon. Nov. 18, 2019 6:30-8:00 p.m. (Conference Center Ballroom, University Hall 7th Floor)
- Workshop led by Jhumpa Lahiri, based on her editing and translation work forThe Penguin Book of Italian Short Stories.
Mon. Nov. 18, 2019 2:30-4 p.m.
Open to students and faculty at MSU – NOTE: The workshop has reached capacity
In collaboration with the College of the Humanities and Social Science Dean’s Office, the Italian Program (MLL), and the Departments of Writing Studies, English, and Justice Studies, as well as the Research Group on Interdisciplinary and Global Studies at Montclair State University, and the Montclair Literary Festival.
Winter and Summer 2020
Paid internship in Italian Business/Made in Italy
- After two successful editions, the 2019-20 paid internship at Choose New Jersey, Princeton will be offered again in Winter 2020 with the additional business trip to Italy in March for the prestigious Select USA program. The internship program is securing jobs for Italian majors.
** SUSPENDED DUE TO COVD-19** 2020 Summer Italian Intensive Program for College Credit
- The only Italian program in the US designed in an intensive summer format for high school students on a university campus includes guest speakers and off-campus tours, a residential option, intern opportunities and a wide range of scholarships. A collaborative effort at all levels, the course relies on a network of high schools and the support of the Italian government and the Italian American community.
Ongoing research projects and activities
Food, Hunger, Migration and the American Myth in Sicily at the Time of the WWII Allied Landing
- An in-progress research project about food practices and human mobility before and after 1943. Supported by the Angelo and Marie Cali Fund for Italian Studies at MSU
Ongoing presentations of Teresa Fiore’s book Pre-occupied Spaces
- Winner of the 2017 AAIS/American Association of Italian Studies Book Prize, Honorable Mention at the 2018 MLA Marraro Prize and Runner UP at the Gadda Prize in Edinburgh, UK.
Various locations around the U.S. and various dates throughout the academic year
Credit for header image: Details of Lucio Fontana’s canvas “Concetto spaziale – Attese” (1960)