2017-2018 Audition Dates
Applications must be completed no later than two weeks before a chosen audition date.
- Friday, November 3, 2017:
- 2-5 p.m. (Transfer and graduate applicants) – CLOSED
- Friday, February 2, 2018:
- 2-5 p.m. (All applicants except percussionists) – CLOSED
- Saturday, February 3, 2018:
- 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. (All applicants) – CLOSED
- Friday, February 16, 2018:
- 2-5 p.m. (All applicants)
- Saturday, February 17, 2018:
- 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. (All applicants except strings)
- Thursday, May 10, 2018:
- 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. (Transfer and graduate applicants)
Submit an application to Montclair State University
Before applying to the Cali School, all prospective students must first complete the application to the University offices of Undergraduate or Graduate Admissions:
Apply to the Cali School
After applying to the University, all students must apply to the Cali School through Acceptd for an audition.
The audition process for both undergraduate and graduate applicants for this area of study includes:
- Audition on primary instrument or voice (see details for undergraduate and graduate auditions below).
- Interview and portfolio review with faculty member:
Composition – All candidates must present a portfolio including at least three compositions. These may be original works or arrangements, but should exhibit the use of several different instruments or voices, especially in combinations of two or more. Submission of a recording that includes at least two compositions is strongly encouraged.
Theorists – All candidates must submit a portfolio of analyses of at least three works by three composers from different periods.
- Music history syllabus review for undergraduate transfer students who wish to transfer music history credits – submit a course syllabus for each music history course for faculty review and approval.
Note: If you want to be considered for other Cali School programs during the same audition, please make a separate application after viewing the appropriate webpage.
In addition to the portfolio review, all students must audition on a primary instrument:
1. Review the audition requirements for your academic level and area of interest:
2. For an online audition, prepare an audition video including specific requirements for your instrument or voice and upload it on the Acceptd website. For live auditions, be prepared to:
- Perform on your primary instrument without an accompanist, voice with an accompanist to be provided.
- Bring your own instrument (exception for percussion).
- Bring your own music as an instrumentalist, and music for the accompanist as a vocalist.
- Take music theory test (used for placement if you are accepted to the School; different tests for freshmen, transfers, post-baccalaureate and graduate applicants).
- Transfer applicants only: submit a course syllabus for each music history course for faculty review and approval if you want to transfer credits.
- Audition applications will be processed within two weeks.
- Non-music majors may only take general education music courses.
- Music minors are not currently offered.
- Musical Theatre auditions are not held at the Cali School: Apply here