All students applying to the Jazz Studies or Jazz Music Education programs must register for and submit a pre-screening video. Pre-screening videos must be submitted by February 5th, 5:00 EST.
To register for a pre-screening video
The registration link and instructions are sent to you in an email 24 hours after submitting your University application. Please be sure to register for the February 5th audition date listed on our website to secure your spot on our audition roster for video review.
If the deadline has passed and you would still like to be considered for admission – please send an email to Oscar Perez – firstname.lastname@example.org, & Linsay Setzer – email@example.com, with your pre-screening videos attached.
Note: Transfer students who wish to transfer music history credits must submit a syllabus for each music history course for faculty review and approval.
Jazz Programs Audition Process
Step 1: All applicants to the Jazz Studies & Jazz Music Education concentrations are required to submit pre-screening videos on their primary instrument. Once your videos are reviewed, you may then be invited to complete a “live” audition & interview via Zoom.
- Professional or studio recordings are not required, but the sound quality of your videos should be as good as possible.
- Pre-Screening videos must be uploaded to your application portfolio by February 5th at 5:00pm EST
- Pre-screening audition requirements vary by instrument. You can review the jazz pre-screening audition requirements for undergraduates at the link below:
Step 2: Once your pre-screening videos are reviewed, and if you are selected for a “live” audition, you will be notified via confirmation email by mid February. “Live” auditions & interviews will be conducted via zoom on February 26th & 27th, 2020. Your audition date/time will be scheduled for you and sent to you in a confirmation email, along with the zoom invitation link.
If selected for a “live” audition, you will be expected to complete the following at your scheduled date & time:
- Perform one (1) piece of your choice, unaccompanied, that reflects your current skills as a jazz instrumentalist/vocalist
- Sight Reading
- An interview with our Jazz Coordinator & faculty (Jazz Studies applicants) OR an interview with our Jazz Coordinator & Music Education Coordinator (Jazz Music Education applicants)
- Upon acceptance to the Cali School, various placement tests will be administered.
- Non-music majors may only take general education music courses.
- Music minors are not currently offered
Questions regarding the application, application deadline/process, and required supplemental materials should be directed to the admissions office appropriate for your level of application – undergraduate/graduate.
Questions regarding the audition process & audition registration can be directed to the Audition Coordinator: