2017-2018 Audition Dates
Applications must be completed no later than two weeks before a chosen audition date.
- Friday, November 3, 2017:
- 2-5 p.m. (Transfer and graduate applicants) – CLOSED
- Friday, February 2, 2018:
- 2-5 p.m. (All applicants except percussionists) – CLOSED
- Saturday, February 3, 2018:
- 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. (All applicants) – CLOSED
- Friday, February 16, 2018:
- 2-5 p.m. (All applicants)
- Saturday, February 17, 2018:
- 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. (All applicants except strings)
- Thursday, May 10, 2018:
- 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. (Tranfer and graduate applicants)
Submit an application to Montclair State University
Before applying to the Cali School, all prospective students must first complete the application to the University offices of Undergraduate or Graduate Admissions:
Apply to the Cali School
After applying to the University, all students must apply to the Cali School through Acceptd for an audition.
The audition process for both undergraduate and graduate applicants for this area of study includes:
- Audition on primary instrument or voice (see details below).
- Interview with music therapy faculty member: as part of the interview, undergraduate candidates are required to sing a song from any genre of music (popular, rock, blues, jazz, show, etc.) while self-accompanying on piano or guitar. Graduate candidates are required to sing two songs from any genre of music, self-accompanying one with piano and the other with guitar. For both undergraduate and graduate applicants, use of basic chords to support the harmonies of the song—versus precise, written accompaniment—is fully acceptable.*
- Music history syllabus review for undergraduate transfer students who wish to transfer music history credits – submit a course syllabus for each music history course for faculty review and approval.
* Faculty members interview prospective students in Music Therapy in order to assess suitability. If you want to be considered for other Cali School programs during the same audition, please make a separate application after viewing the appropriate webpage.
1. Review the audition requirements for your academic level and area of interest:
2. For an online audition, prepare an audition video including specific requirements for your instrument or voice and upload it on the Acceptd website. For live auditions, be prepared to:
- Perform on your primary instrument without an accompanist, voice with an accompanist to be provided.
- Bring your own instrument (exception for percussion).
- Bring your own music as an instrumentalist, and music for the accompanist as a vocalist.
- Take music theory test (used for placement if you are accepted to the School; different tests for freshmen, transfers, post-baccalaureate and graduate applicants).
- Transfer applicants only: submit a course syllabus for each music history course for faculty review and approval if you want to transfer credits.
- Audition applications will be processed within two weeks.
- Non-music majors may only take general education music courses.
- Music minors are not currently offered.
- Musical Theatre auditions are not held at the Cali School: Apply here