performers on darkened stage from 2018 Production of Lucretia
News

Alumni Spotlight: Lisbelkis Santana-Music Education MSU ’19

“I am extremely grateful for the connections and relationships I developed with my colleagues and professors at the Cali School of Music.”

Posted in: Cali Alumni Spotlight

The Cali School of Music takes pride in nurturing the musical, personal, and professional development of our students. We love to see what they’re up to!

Lisbelkis Santana MSU ’19 was hired by the Union City Board of Education as a full time music substitute teacher for the 2020-2021 academic year. Now, she teaches Grades 1-8 General Music and two electives (Gilmore Glee and Music Explorations: Musical Theater) at Sara Gilmore Academy. Additionally, she teaches private keyboard and voice lessons at the School of Rock in Hoboken owned by Montclair State University Alum, Rachel Pores. Lisbelkis is on track towards receiving her Standard Teaching License through the Alternate Route Program at NJCU. In attempts to keep up with musical chops, she continues taking classical voice lessons with Julia Rolwing and will be participating in the NJVAC’s production of Magic Flute this summer. She also recently had the pleasure of playing in the orchestral pit for Perth Amboy’s Production of Freaky Friday the Musical and has been picking up singing gigs such as princess parties. Lisbelkis had the pleasure of taking a musical theater writing course with American Musical Composer Ryan Scott Oliver and is currently composing an original musical.

“Upon graduating Montclair, I wasn’t sure what my next path was going to be since I didn’t go through their teacher preparation program. After much convincing, I decided to get my substitute license and soon after applied for my Certificate of Eligibility and the Alternate Route Program. While teaching in a pandemic has come with many challenges, I am extremely grateful for the connections and relationships I developed with my colleagues and professors at the Cali School of Music.”

Are you a Cali School Alum?
Let us know what great things you are up to! You might be featured in our new series Cali Alumni Spotlight!

Cali School Alumni Spotlight Form