- Discuss possible concert dates and times with your teacher and accompanist, then see the concert manager, Martha Learner, in person in Ch129 to schedule your recital. If you are teaching or are only able to come to campus in the evenings, call her at 973-655-7263. Concerts will not be scheduled through email.
- Except for performances in September and October, all recitals must be scheduled at least 8 weeks before the recital date.
- After scheduling your recital, you will receive a recital form. Your recital becomes official when the concert manager receives your completed form.
- The Cali School has a no cancellation policy for its concerts, except for emergencies.
The Concert Manager will produce the basic program for student recitals if all final text is received by email (email@example.com) no later than 15 business days (counting Monday-Friday, not including holidays) before the concert.
The Cali School requires programs to conform to a standard format. Basic programs (up to 100 copies) will be made for you if you follow the guidelines below.
Text requirements for basic programs
No later than 15 business days before your concert email the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org. (You will receive an email acknowledging receipt of program. If you don't receive a return email within a few days, be sure to contact her to check on it; email has occasionally failed.)
The program text should be sent as a Word doc without without any formatting (no special fonts, bold, italics, tabs, tables, spacing etc.) in the following order:
Instrument or voice type
Date and Time of performance
Kind of recital (Junior, Senior, Graduate, Artist’s Diploma, Performer’s Certificate, etc.)
Title of work (including movements, if applicable)
Name of composer
Composer date in this format (xxxx-xxxx) or (b. xxxx)
Names of any additional performers under the work where they appear
Intermission (if applicable)
In addition, send the following statement personalized with your information:
(Name) is a student of Prof. (name). This recital is presented in partial fulfillment of degree requirements for the (name of degree BMus, MA, Artist's Diploma, Performer's Certificate, etc.).
You are responsible, with your teacher's supervision, for supplying any additional materials including texts, translations, or notes. The program that will be printed by the Concert Manager's office will be the standard formal program listing composition or song groups, composers, etc., but not including notes or translations.
Distribution of programs
The basic program produced by the Concert Manager will be given to the Production Manager or his designee for distribution before each concert. The student is responsible for creating, copying and distributing at your concert any translations, program notes, personal bios or other information approved by your professor.
Bios for recital and ensemble programs
Faculty/professional bios submitted for programs should not be longer than 150-200 words. The concert manager will keep faculty program bios on file so they will not need to be resubmitted with each program. Student bios are included on ensemble programs in some cases. These should not be longer than 75-100 words. All materials may be edited due to space constraints.
Students presenting development office/scholarship programs should contact the Concert Manager. These programs may be formatted differently.
All materials may be edited due to space constraints.
No exceptions will be made.
Making Your Own Program
The basic program should follow the official templates for Cali School programs. The following files may be used and modified to fit your information.
Instrumental Program Template
Voice Program Template
No receptions are permitted in the Cali School building. No exceptions: if you show up with food for a reception you will not be allowed to set up.
1. Students who live on campus may contact Tara Mellor (email@example.com; 973-655-5310) and cc Ryan Baldwin (firstname.lastname@example.org) for information about using Freeman or Russ Lounges.
2. Students who commute may schedule receptions in the Student Center—The Student Center is heavily used so space cannot be guaranteed. If you are interested in holding a reception there, contact Martha Learner (CH129) as soon as possible. She will reserve a room if one is available. The Student Center is often busy so space cannot be guaranteed. As soon as a room is reserved, you should discuss arrangements directly with the Student Center administration.
For Student Recitals in Leshowitz Recital Hall, G55 or 201
Concerts are listed on the MSU websites (MSU event calendar, CART and Cali School). Students may post flyers on Cali School performance bulletin boards.
For Faculty Concerts
Martha Learner lists recitals on the MSU websites (MSU event calendar, CART and Cali School).
Faculty are responsible for advertising their own recitals and those of guest artists they are sponsoring.
On-campus - send campus email through webmail.montclair.edu
Write an email to email@example.com (this is a general email list for the whole campus). You may get more information about using this list by calling the tech helpline at 973-655-7191.
Off-campus media and websites
- Montclair Times online calendar events listings: northjersey.com; print calendar listing, call 973-233-5024 (contact at least 3 weeks ahead to learn publication schedule and deadlines
- Star Ledger (nj.com) online and community news listings: www.nj.com/myevent/ (for change or cancellation, contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Caselman28@aol.com (patch.com)
- email@example.com (jersey tomato press)
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Montclair Patch)
- email@example.com (baristanet.com)
Notes for media listings:
1. Use your university or personal email address if an email is requested.
2. Address is Montclair State University Leshowitz Recital Hall (or Chapin Hall G55 or 201 as appropriate), 1 Normal Ave. Montclair, NJ 07043
3. If a telephone number is required, use your number or the Cali School broadcast message line number (973-655-6200).
4. If a concert needs to be changed or cancelled it is extremely important to notify all PR outlets immediately.
Contact Martha Learner for more information (firstname.lastname@example.org)