College of the Arts Undergraduate Convocation, 2015
Monday, May 18, 2015; 7 p.m.
Seniors graduating from the College of the Arts are cordially invited to attend the 2015 College of the Arts Convocation Ceremony to be held Monday, May 18, 2015 at 7 p.m. on Sprague Field of the University campus. (The program takes place prior to the Montclair State University Commencement to be held Wednesday May 20, at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ.)
Convocation is a pre-commencement ceremony that celebrates the academic achievements of baccalaureate candidates of the College of the Arts who graduated last August or January or who will be graduating in May. (Master’s degree candidates are recognized at The Graduate School Convocation.) Individuals’ names will be recited during the ceremony. Al Pietro '84 will receive the College's 2015 Distinguished Alumni Award (read more here.)
Held on a separate date following Convocation, the Montclair State University Commencement is the official ceremony which recognizes ALL University graduates and signifies the official conferral of degrees. (For more information on commencement, visit University Commencement.)
Graduates are encouraged to attend both the College of the Arts' Convocation and University Commencement.
For further information, read on regarding:
- Convocation Date
- Eligibility: Who may attend
- Regalia Attire
- RSVP and Ticketing
- Convocation Day – Check-in and Line-up
- Guest Seating
- Special Needs
- Further Information
Convocation Date / Rain Date:
- The College of the Arts Convocation will take place Monday, May 18th at 7 pm on Sprague Field of the University campus
- In the event of rain, the ceremony may be delayed or canceled. For current weatheri-related information, please call the University's weather hotline at 973-655-7810 or log on to www.montclair.edu the morning of the event.
Eligibility: Who may attend
- Candidates who will complete their baccalaureate degree requirements in May 2015 and who, after filing for a final audit are on the May 2015 graduation list, are eligible to participate in the Convocation and Commencement exercises.
- Undergraduate students whose bachelor’s degrees were conferred in August 2014 or January 2015 are also eligible to participate.
- Master’s degree candidates and recipients are invited to attend the Graduate School Convocation Ceremony (follow this link to the Graduate School Convocation web page.)
- For information on applying for a final audit, or if you missed the deadline to file for graduation, or have additional questions related to acquiring your degree, please go to www.montclair.edu/registrar or call the Office of the Registrar at 973.655.4376
- To verify that your major is within the College of the Arts, please review the programs of study list.
- The College of the Arts Convocation will be held on Sprague Field. (See campus map for location.) As the field is not a covered facility, guests should dress in accordance with the weather.
The 2015 College of the Arts Convocation will take place at Sprague Field. Gates to the field will open one hour before the start of Convocation. All parking is free during Convocation.
Please enter campus via College Avenue, Yogi Berra Drive or Clove Road and proceed to the CarParc Diem Deck or the Red Hawk Parking Deck. (NOTE: Entering campus via Yogi Berra Drive and exiting using Clove Road offers the most direct access to Route 46 and Route 3.) The gates for the CarParc Diem Deck and the Red Hawk Parking Deck will open 90 minutes before the start of Convocation.
For your convenience, shuttles will be available to take you directly from the CarParc Diem Deck to the drop-off point at the Carlisle Road and College Avenue intersection where you will join the line for bag check before entering Sprague Field. Shuttle service will run continuously beginning 90 minutes prior to Convocation and tapering off once the event begins. Return shuttle service will ramp up again 15 minutes before the end of Convocation and terminate 45 minutes after the event ends.
Special Needs Parking
Please park in the Red Hawk Parking Deck and take the elevator to level 2. An ADA shuttle will be available to take you directly to the Sprague Field entrance where your bags will be searched. Shuttle service will run continuously beginning 90 minutes prior to Convocation and tapering off once the event begins. Return shuttle service will ramp up again 15 minutes before the end of Convocation and terminate 45 minutes after the event ends.
- Graduating students are required to wear academic regalia (gowns and stoles only) at the Convocation Ceremony.
- Academic caps and tassels are NOT to be worn at Convocation but WILL be worn at the Commencement.
- Handbags or other carried articles are not permitted in the ceremonies. Please leave handbags or other items at home, with a guest, or in the car.
- Sprague Field is an outdoor structure, and it is suggested that students and guests wearing flat shoes for the event.
- For information on purchasing academic regalia and related information, visit the Academic Regalia (Cap & Gown) web page.
RSVP and Ticketing
RSVP and Ticketing
- Seating is limited and guests attending Convocation will be required to have tickets. To request convocation guest tickets, you must first complete the College of the Arts Graduation Survey. This should take approximately ten minutes to complete. Once you submit the survey, a link will be provided to the Convocation RSVP/Ticket Requests site. Both the Graduation Survey and Ticket site will open on April 21st. CLICK HERE to access the Graduation Survey.
- In requesting tickets, you will be asked to insert your "Net-ID." (note: If you have never activated your Net-ID you can do so by going to netid.montclair.edu and entering your student ID number and PIN. If you need further help, call the Net ID Help Desk at ext.7971 for assistance.) You will also be asked to provide a phonetic spelling of your name.
- Ticket Quantities: You may request up to Six (6) guest tickets and two (2) waitlist tickets. Tickets are for guests only, as graduating students will not need tickets for themselves.
- While every effort will be made to accommodate ticket requests, numbers of disseminated tickets will be subject to venue capacity and prioritized in accordance with the dates of request. As a courtesy to other students, graduates are asked to request only numbers of tickets that will be used.
- Ticket Ordering Deadline: May 4th.
- Ticket pick-up: Tickets may be picked up Morehead Hall 218 at the following times:
- Regular Hours: May 8, 11 ,12 ,13 ,14 (10 am – 3 pm)
- Extended hours: Thursday, May 7 (3-7 pm); Wednesday, May 13th (3-7)
- Please present your photo ID when picking up tickets.
Convocation Day - Check-in and Line-up
College of the Arts Convocation
Monday, May 18, 2015; 7pm
Sprague Field, Montclair State University
- CANDIDATES ARE TO REPORT FOR CHECK-IN AT 6:00 pm
- Check-in will take place in Parking Lot #7, adjacent to Sprague Field, off of College Ave., across the road from the Red Hawk Deck.
- Upon check-in, candidates will be given an index card with his/her name, phonetic spelling and program of study.
- Candidates must line up in the designated area no later than 6:45 pm. (Latecomers will not be able to participate.)
- College of The Arts staff will organize and supervise the line-up.
- Guests are not permitted in the check-in or line-up area.
- The academic procession, which starts the ceremony, will begin promptly at 7 pm.
- The ceremony is expected to last 60-90 minutes. It will begin with a welcoming address by President Susan Cole. Toward the middle of the ceremony, all graduation candidates will process onto the stage to be greeted by the president and Dean Gurskis (your name will be announced from an index card that you will carry).
- Please plan to take photos with family and/or faculty before or following the ceremony.
- Entrances to Sprague Field will be open to guests holding tickets at 6:00 pm. ONLY GUESTS WITH TICKETS WILL BE ADMITTED.
- Guests must be seated by 6:45 pm. The entrance will then close for 15 minutes to accommodate the procession of faculty and candidates, so be sure that your guests arrive prior to that time.
- No strollers are allowed on the Sprague Field (Families bringing strollers will be asked to leave strollers in a designated location.)
Special Needs Access, Seating and Parking
- Guests requiring disability seating accommodations should enter Sprague Field via Gate 7 (next to the bleachers.) The first 2 rows of the bleachers will be reserved for special accommodations, wheelchairs and less-mobile guests.
- Lot 42 will be reserved for handicap parking. The Campus Map indicates the location of Lot 42 (it is directly next to Gate 7.)
- Handicap parking is also available in the Red Hawk Deck. A shuttle van will make stops at the Red Hawk Deck and the Gate 7 entrance throughout the duration of the event.
For Further information
Questions may be directed to the College of the Arts’ Office of Student Services at 973.655.7346 or the Convocation Hotline at 973.655.4510