College of the Arts Undergraduate Convocation, 2014
Sunday, May 18, 2014; 7pm
Seniors graduating from the College of the Arts are cordially invited to attend the 2014 College of the Arts Convocation Ceremony to be held Sunday, May 18th, 2014 at 7 pm on Sprague Field of the University campus. (The program takes place prior to the Montclair State University Commencement to be held Friday May 23, at the Meadowlands Sports Complex.)
Convocation is a pre-commencement ceremony celebrating the academic achievements of baccalaureate candidates of the College of the Arts who graduated last August or January or who will be graduating in upcoming May. (Master’s degree candidates are recognized at The Graduate School Convocation.) Individuals’ names will be recited during the ceremony. Held on a separate date following Convocation, the Montclair State University Commencement is the official ceremony which recognizes ALL University graduates and signifies the official conferral of degrees. (For more information on commencement, visit University Commencement.)
Graduates are encouraged to attend both the College of the Arts Convocation and University Commencement.
For further information, read on regarding:
- Convocation Date / Rain Date
- Eligibility: Who may attend
- Regalia Attire
- RSVP and Ticketing
- Convocation Day – Check-in and Line-up
- Guest Seating
- Special Needs
- Further Information
Convocation Date / Rain Date:
- The College of the Arts Convocation will take place Sunday, May 18th at 7 pm on Sprague Field of the University campus
- In the event of rain, the Convocation ceremony may be delayed or rescheduled (Raindates: 21, 22) . Please call the weather hotline at 973-655-7810 or log on to www.montclair.edu for-up-to-the minute weather information on the morning of the event, should questions arise.)
Eligibility: Who may attend
- Candidates who will complete their baccalaureate degree requirements in May 2014 and who, after filing for a final audit are on the May 2014 graduation list, are eligible to participate in the Convocation and Commencement exercises.
- Undergraduate students whose bachelor’s degrees were conferred in August 2013 or January 2014 are also eligible to participate.
- Master’s degree candidates and recipients are invited to attend the Graduate School Convocation Ceremony (follow this link to the Graduate School Convocation web page.)
- For information on applying for a final audit, or if you missed the deadline to file for graduation, or have additional questions related to acquiring your degree, please go to www.montclair.edu/registrar or call the Office of the Registrar at 973.655.4376
- To verify that your major is in the College of the Arts, please click here for a list
- The College of the Arts Convocation will be held on Sprague Field. (See campus map for location.) As the field is not a covered facility, guests should dress in accordance with the weather.
- Parking for guests attending Convocation will be available for free in all surface lots (except for the President's Circle) and in the Red Hawk Deck. (Click here for a campus parking map and parking information for guests with special needs.) The free Red Hawk Bus Shuttle will be running on a regular schedule during Convocation with service to all parking areas. (Please note: Parking fees and ticketing will be suspended ONLY on the days of the events. Regular fees apply during regular days/hours.)
- Graduating students are required to wear academic regalia (gowns and stoles only) at the Convocation Ceremony.
- Academic caps and tassels are NOT to be worn at Convocation but WILL be worn at the Commencement.
- Handbags or other carried articles are not permitted in the ceremonies. Please leave handbags or other items at home, with a guest, or in the car.
- Sprague Field is an outdoor structure, and it is suggested that students and guests wearing flat shoes for the event.
- For information on purchasing academic regalia and related information, visit the Commencement – Information for Graduates webpage.
RSVP and Ticketing
RSVP and Ticketing
- Seating is limited and guests attending Convocation will be required to have tickets. To request convocation guest tickets, you must first complete the College of the Arts Graduation Survey. This should take approximately ten minutes to complete. Once you submit the survey, the next page will provide a link to the Convocation RSVP/Ticketing Site (site opens on April 22nd): CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE SURVEY: www.surveymonkey.com/s/CART2014
- To request tickets you must insert your "Net-ID." (note: If you have never activated your Net-ID you can do so by going to netid.montclair.edu and entering your student ID number and PIN. If you need further help, call the Net ID Help Desk at ext.7971 for assistance.)
- Ticket Quantities: You may request up to Six (6) guest tickets and two (2) waitlist tickets. Tickets are for guests only, as graduating students will not need tickets for themselves.
- While every effort will be made to accommodate ticket requests, numbers of disseminated tickets will be subject to venue capacity and prioritized in accordance with dates of requests. As a courtesy to other students, graduates are asked to request only those tickets that will be used.
- Ticket Ordering Deadline: May 5th.
- Ticket pick-up: Tickets may be picked up at the box office of the lobby of Memorial Auditorium at the following times:
- Regular Hours: May 9, 12, 13, 14, 15 (10 am – 3 pm)
- Extended hours: Thursday, May 8 (3-7 pm); Wednesday, May 14th (3-7)
- Please present your photo ID when picking up tickets.
Convocation Day - Check-in and Line-up
College of the Arts Convocation
Sunday, May 18, 2014; 7pm
Sprague Field, Montclair State University
- CANDIDATES ARE TO REPORT FOR CHECK-IN AT 6:00 pm
- Check-in will take place in Parking Lot #7, adjacent to Sprague Field, off of College Ave., across the road from the Red Hawk Deck.
- Upon check-in, candidates will be given an index card with his/her name, phonetic spelling and program of study.
- Candidates will line up in the designated area no later than 6:45 pm. (Latecomers will not be able to participate.)
- College of The Arts staff will organize and supervise the line-up.
- Guests are not permitted in the check-in or line-up area.
- The procession starting the ceremony will begin promptly at 7 pm.
- The ceremony is expected to last 60-90 minutes. It will begin with a welcoming address by President Susan Cole. Toward the middle of the ceremony, a processional of graduation candidates will be called to the stage (your name will be announced via the index card) to be congratulated personally by your Dean and President Cole. Award recipients will also be recognized (note: Award recipients will be notified in advance.)
- Please plan to take photos with family and/or faculty before or following the ceremony.
- Entrances to Sprague Field will be open to guests holding tickets at 6:00 pm. ONLY GUESTS WITH TICKETS WILL BE ADMITTED.
- Guests must be seated by 6:45 pm. The entrance will then close for 15 minutes to accommodate the procession of faculty and candidates, so be sure that your guests arrive prior to that time.
- No strollers are allowed on the Sprague Field (Families bringing strollers will be asked to leave strollers in a designated location.)
Special Needs Access, Seating and Parking
- Guests requiring disability seating accommodations should enter Sprague Field via Gate 7 (next to the bleachers.) The first 2 rows of the bleachers will be reserved for special accommodations, wheelchairs and less-mobile guests.
- Lot 42 will be reserved for handicap parking. The Campus Map indicates the location of Lot 42 (it is directly next to Gate 7.)
- Handicap parking is also available in the Red Hawk Deck. A shuttle van will make stops at the Red Hawk Deck and the Gate 7 entrance throughout the duration of the event.
For Further information
Questions may be directed to the College of the Arts’ Office of Student Services at 973.655.7346 or the Convocation Hotline at 973.655.4510