Reading Foreign Voices
Film, Opera, and Theater Sub- and Sur-titles Across Languages
This half-day program aims at providing a general introduction to the art and techniques of sub- and sur-titling for films, operas, and theatre performances. In combining knowledge of foreign languages, cultural awareness, aesthetic choices and tecnhological skills, sub- and sur-titling is an ideal professional field for students of the arts and humanities with a specialization in foreign languages.
The program will open with a round table of specialists addressing the philosophy of this fascinating field, the market-based offer and demand for sub- and sur-titles, and the tricks of the trade. After a short lunch break the program will continue with area-specific workshops during which participants will learn in detail about techniques and outcomes.
The event will also include a meeting about University programs in audio-visual translation. This meeting is reserved for teachers and professors.
While presented by the Inserra Chair in Italian and Italian American Studies, this program embraces different languages offered in the department and on campus (Italian, Spanish, German, French) within a European framework.
- Under the auspices of the Italian Cultural Institute of New York on the occasion of the Italian semester of Presidency of the European Union Council (second semester of 2014).
Relevant readings on the subject of sub- and sur-titling
- Q&A with Federico Spoletti (Sub-Ti agency): CineSpect Interview
- Recent NY Times article (June 2014): "A Freelance Career, Found in Translation"
- Paper by Mauro Conti I (Prescott Studio agency): "Scripta volant"
- Paper by Mauro Conti II (Prescott Studio agency): "The Linguistic Mediation in Theatre"