Programs on Italian American Culture
The following list summarizes the programs on Italian American culture organized and sponsored by the Inserra Chair since its inception in the academic year 2010-2011. Numerous topics pertaining to a wide array of disciplines (film/documentary, photography, art, literature) have been addressed in order to provide a dynamic overview of a complex, richly varied culture. Topics have included food practices, religious activities, artistic movements such as futurism, as well as commonalities and discontinuities between old and new migrations.
In several instances, the programs have also been supported by external funding. Special thanks go to UNICO National, the Columbian Foundation, the Calandra Italian American Institute and the Coccia Institute for the Italian American Experience.
- The Horde: Stories, Songs, and Images of Italian emigration (September 30, 2011) See video
- Joseph Stella’s Futurism between Italy and the U.S. (November 10, 2011) See video
- Mangia Piano: The Internationalization of Italian Local Foodways (March 6-7, 2012) with a presentation by Donna Gabaccia (Vecoli Endowed Chair, University of Minnesota): "Globalizing and Nationalizing 'Italian' Food in the Diaspora." See video
- The Migrant Transatlantic Voyage in Italian Early Silent Films: A Screening with Live Musical Accompaniment (September 27, 2012) See video
- Italian Americans in Independent Film: A Conversation with Filmmakers Nancy Savoca and Marylou Tibaldo-Bongiorno & Jerome Bongiorno (November 8, 2012) See video
- The Italian American Table: A Lecture on Food History (November 18, 2013) See video
- Presentation of Two Recent Anthologies of Italian Writings Abroad (October 2, 2014) See video
- Film Screening: "The Rule" by Italian American Directors Marylou and Jerome Bongiorno (November 18, 2014)
- Italians in America: Recent Documentaries and Photographs (February 8, 2016)
- From Ethnic to Multi-Cultural Italian Media in the U.S. (April 12, 2016)
- Built with Faith: Italian American Imagination and Catholic Material Culture in New York City (Feb. 23, 2017)
- TV documentary Italian Americans of New York and New Jersey featuring the Inserra Chair, Dr. Teresa Fiore. Read the article and see the video