Opportunities for Students
The Inserra Chair is committed to providing opportunities to MSU and High School students for the acquisition and application of knowledge about Italian culture through ad hoc projects and regular programs.
- A two-semester student internship as the Inserra program assistant*(either for credit as a Coop Ed option or as a paid position)
- Supervision, along with members of the Italian faculty, of video production (see video archive), article writing (see article in Media Coverage), and translation/subtitling carried out by MSU students active in different departments (Italian program/Department of Spanish and Italian, School of Media and Communication, etc.)
- Educational activities that in collaboration with outside partners such as newspapers and film productions companies create pre-professional opportunities for students as integrated components of the regular course curriculum (see Business Italian Style video interviews project)
- Support of select programs organized by the Amici Italian Club on campus
- Partnerships with local high schools so that qualified students can participate in select cultural programs and receive a guided tour of the campus in view of possible enrollment at MSU (for an example see theatre workshop with the Italian company Le Albe)
- Complimentary tickets for Italian cultural activities in the NJ-NY region offered to MSU students of Italian.
*Inserra Program Assistants
Emilia D'Albero, Italian Major (2013-14 Assistant)
"This assistantship has benefited me both professional and academically. Not only have I learned interesting things about my heritage and culture that may perhaps play an integral role in my future research, but I have also acquired many useful professional skills through this position. Interpersonal communication, both in Italian and English; web management, and time management are all very good skills to have early on in my career, and I am thankful that I was able to learn them as the Inserra Assistant."
Celina Poggiogalle, Montclair State University graduate (Italian major) (Inserra Assistant Poggiogalle Awarded) (2013-14)
"The most rewarding part of the Inserra Program Assistantship was being able to actively participate in a cultural event’s growth from a concept to a successful evening for the campus and local community. I found new uses for my Italian language skills every step of the way by working with Dr. Fiore, communicating with Italian guests and the Italian Consulate, and co-writing post-event articles in Italian for local publications. This intellectually stimulating and culturally enriching experience showed me the practicality of my skillset in both academic and professional settings."
Arianna Fognani, Rutgers University graduate student in Italian (2012-13)
"Through this incredible experience I gained a different perspective on how cultural events can be successfully integrated into academic curricula. I learned to get people and institutions involved in projects, to write grant proposal and refine my language skills. The Inserra programs allowed me to meet scholars, artists, journalists, and professionals coming from different institutions and cultural backgrounds whose impact on my work continues to be relevant to my research."