Monday, May 21, 2018; 7 p.m.
Seniors graduating from the College of the Arts are cordially invited to attend the 2018 College of the Arts Convocation Ceremony to be held Monday, May 21, 2018 at 7:00 p.m. on Sprague Field of the University campus. (The program takes place prior to the Montclair State University Commencement to be held Friday, May 25th, at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ.)
Convocation is a pre-commencement ceremony that celebrates the academic achievements of baccalaureate candidates of the College of the Arts who graduated last August or January or who will be graduating in May. (Master’s degree candidates are recognized at The Graduate School Commencement) Individuals’ names will be recited during the ceremony.
Held on a separate date following Convocation, the Montclair State University Commencement is the official ceremony which recognizes ALL University graduates and signifies the official conferral of degrees. (For more information on Commencement, visit University Commencement.)
Graduates are encouraged to attend both the College of the Arts’ Convocation and University Commencement.
For further information, read on regarding:
- Convocation Date
- Eligibility: Who may attend
- Regalia Attire
- RSVP and Ticketing
- Convocation Day- Check-in
- Guest Seating
- Special Needs
- Further Information
- The College of the Arts Convocation will take place Monday, May 21 at 7:00 p.m. on Sprague Field of the University campus
- In the event of inclement weather, the ceremony may be postponed to either May 23rd or May 24th. For current weather-related information, please call the University’s weather hotline at 973.655.7810 or log on to www.montclair.edu the morning of the event.
- Candidates who will complete their baccalaureate degree requirements in May 2018 and who, after filing for a final audit are on the May 2018 graduation list, are eligible to participate in the Convocation and Commencement exercises.
- Undergraduate students whose bachelor’s degrees were conferred in August 2017 or January 2018 are also eligible to participate.
- Master’s degree candidates and recipients are invited to attend the Graduate School Commencement Ceremony (follow this link for more information).
- For information on applying for a final audit, or if you missed the deadline to file for graduation, or have additional questions related to acquiring your degree, please go to www.montclair.edu/registrar or call the Office of the Registrar at 973.655.4376
- To verify that your major is within the College of the Arts, please review the programs of study list.
- The College of the Arts Convocation will be held on Sprague Field. (See campus map for location.) As the field is not a covered facility, guests should dress in accordance to the weather.
- The 2018 College of the arts Convocation will take place at the Sprague Field. Gates to the field will open one hour before the start of Convocation. All parking is free during Convocation.
Please enter campus via College Avenue, Yogi Berra Drive or Clove Road and proceed to the CarParc Diem Deck or the Red Hawk Parking Deck. (NOTE: Entering campus via Yogi Berra Drive and exiting using Clove Road offers the most direct access to Route 46 and Route 3.) The gates for the CarParc Diem Deck and the Red Hawk Parking Deck will open 90 minutes before the start of the Convocation.
Please park in the Red Hawk Deck and take the elevator to level 2. An ADA shuttle will be available to take you directly to the Sprague Field entrance where your bags will be searched. Shuttle services will run continuously beginning 90 minutes prior to Convocation and tapering off once the event begins. Return shuttle service will ramp up again 15 minutes before the end of Convocation and terminate 45 minutes after the event ends.
- Graduating students are required to wear academic regalia (gowns only, no caps, no tassels) at the Convocation Ceremony.
- Academic caps and tassels WILL be worn at the Commencement.
- Handbags or other carried articles are not permitted in the ceremonies. Please leave handbags or other items at home, with a guest, or in the car.
- Sprague Field is an outdoor structure, and it is suggested that students and guests wear flat shoes for the event.
- For information on purchasing academic regalia and related information, visit the Academic Regalia (Cap & Gown) web page.
- RSVP and Ticketing
- Seating is limited and guests attending Convocation will be required to have tickets. To request convocation guest tickets, you must first complete the College of the Arts Graduation Survey. This should take approximately ten minutes to complete. Once you submit the survey, a link will be provided to the Convocation RSVP/Ticket Requests site. The link will appear in April. If you haven’t filled out the Graduation Survey, please do so.
- In requesting tickets, you will be asked to inset your ‘Net-ID.” (Note: If you have never activated your Net-ID you can do so by going to netid.montclair.edu and entering your student ID number and PIN. If you need further help, call the Net ID Help Desk at ext. 7971 for assistance.) You will also be asked to provide a phonetic spelling of your name.
- Ticket Quantities: You may request up to Four (4) guest tickets and two (2) waitlist tickets. Tickets are for guests only, as graduating students will not need tickets for themselves.
- While every effort will be made to accommodate ticket requests, numbers of disseminated tickets will be subject to venue capacity and prioritized in accordance with the dates of request. As a courtesy to other students, graduates are asked to request only numbers of tickets that will be used.
- Ticket Ordering Deadline: TBD.
- Ticket pick-up: TBD.
|Convocation Day- Check-in|
College of the Arts Convocation
Monday, May 21, 2018, 6:00 p.m.
Sprague Field, Montclair State University
- CANDIDATES ARE TO REPORT FOR CHECK-IN AT 6:00 pm
- Check in Location TBD
- Upon check-in, candidates will be given an index card with his/her name and program of study.
- Candidates must be seated in the designated area no later than 6:45pm. (Latecomers will not be able to participate.)
- College of the Arts staff will organize and supervise registration and seating.
- Guests are not permitted in the check-in or line-up area.
- The ceremony will begin promptly at 7pm.
- The ceremony is expected to last 60-90 minutes. It will begin with a welcoming address by Dean Daniel Gurskis. Toward the middle of the ceremony, all graduation candidates will process onto the stage to be greeted by Dean Gurskis (you name will be announced).
- Please plan to take photos with family and/or faculty before or following the ceremony.
- Entrances to Sprague Field will be open to guests holding tickets at 6:00pm. ONLY GUESTS WITH TICKETS WILL BE ADMITTED.
- Guests must be seated by 6:45pm.
- No strollers are allowed on the Sprague Field (Families bringing strollers will be asked to leave strollers in a designated location.)
- Guests requiring disability seating accommodations should enter Sprague Field via Gate 7 (next to the bleachers.) The first 2 rows of the bleachers will be reserved for special accommodations, wheelchairs and less-mobile guests.
- Lot 42 will be reserved for handicap parking. The Campus Map indicates the location of Lot 42 (it is directly next to Gate 7.)
- Handicap parking is also available in the Red Hawk Deck. A shuttle van will make stops at the Red Hawk Deck and the Gat 7 entrance throughout the duration of the event.
Questions may be directed to the College of the Arts’ Office of Student Services at 973.655.7346 or the Convocation Hotline at 973.655.4510