swirly suns on blue background

FAQ page about Summer Course for HS students (Intensive Italian)

This page contains the questions that are often asked about the Summer Course for HS students at Montclair State University. If you have any further inquiry, please contact the course coordinator Patti Grunther (gruntherp@montclair.edu) or write to the office at inserra@montclair.edu.

1. How can students reach campus if they cannot get there by car?

The Montclair State campus is very well served by public transportation on weekdays. Students can take NJT buses or trains. The recommended train station for this class is Montclair Heights Station (and not Montclair State U, as one would think: Montclair State University station serves the dorms, while the summer course students need to use Montclair Heights, the station that serves the teaching and office spaces on the main campus area). Please go to the NJT site and use their Trip planner tool to find the best option for your ride. The site provides information about costs as well. See also information on how to reach Schmitt Hall.  (Note that the specific classroom will be assigned at a later time – please inquire with the coordinator). See campus map to locate the train station, bus stop, and Schmitt Hall.

2. What is the parking situation for students who drive to campus?

Please visit the Parking information page for campus events, which applies to this course as well. Inquire with the course coordinator about specific parking costs for this class. Also, students may rely on car-pooling options if they come from the same area (students can refer to the coordinator for help organizing carpooling).

3. Is there a residential option for students who don’t live close enough to the Montclair State campus to commute daily to class?

We are now offering an option for students to live in a dormitory on campus with a related meal plan from Sunday evening to Thursday afternoons for the duration of the course (July 7-25). Students will be housed in the The Heights dormitory in double rooms with access to all campus dining facilities open in the summer. There will be an Italian-speaking adult RA/Activity Leader living in the dorm with students who will lead afternoon/early evening activities. The total price of this option is $588, and scholarships that include room and board are available.

4. Are the three course credits accepted at other colleges if I am not admitted to Montclair State University or decide not to attend?

Each individual college decides whether external credits will be accepted: we cannot guarantee that students will earn these credits if they attend a college other than Montclair State. However, our students have had success transferring summer course credits to other universities (the University of Maryland, for example).

5. Is lunch provided for students during the course?

Students are asked to provide their own lunch every day. There is a Bon Pain café on campus located close to our classroom where students can buy lunch if they prefer. However, there can be lines at the café and the prices are not always economical and so we suggest that students bring lunch from home when possible. PLEASE NOTE: on days when the class goes on a field trip, there is not time to buy food on campus. Therefore, WHEN THERE IS A FIELD TRIP, STUDENTS NEED TO BRING A BAG LUNCH.

6. What happens during lunch?

Except for days when the group is on a field trip there will be Italian-speaking guests during lunches which take place in the classroom. These carefully chosen guests enhance the course considerably: they are experts in fields related to Italian culture, and in particular related to the field trips taken during the course. In a casual atmosphere conducive to relaxing and enjoying their lunch, students learn about various topics such as the history of Italian architecture and its influence in America, culinary traditions and the ties between Italian cuisine and culture, Made in Italy businesses and future career opportunities for students, among many other topics.

7. Aside from lunch, are there any other extra costs outside of tuition?

The only thing not provided for students is a personal notebook. Aside from that and lunch, everything else is covered by tuition payment or scholarship; this includes, teaching materials, transportation on field trips, and museum, event and showroom entry fees.

8. Do students need to provide any vaccination verifications?

Montclair State University requires that all summer session students provide a Immunization Verification Form before arrival on campus.

All immunization documentation is submitted through the My Health Portal. You must first register with the portal in order to submit documentation (instructions below).

  1. Obtain documentation of your immunization history from your pediatrician, general practitioner, prior school or military service. Immunizations requirements can be found here: https://www.montclair.edu/university-health-center/immunizations/
  2. Register with the My Health Portal using your Montclair State University CWID number (available on your acceptance letter, do not enter the “M” initial.)
  3. Once registration is complete you will receive an email to set up your portal password. Please note that the password link located in the email expires in 20 minutes. This email will be located in your Montclair State email account gmail.montclair.edu  (your email is netid@montclair.edu and the password is your net id password).
  4. Scan and upload your immunization documentation (from Step 1) using the Document Upload tab on the top menu bar.  Recommended scanning app for use via smartphones is OfficeLens and Evernote Scannable. Scanned documentation is required to verify and/or correct the dates entered on the forms.
  5. Select “My Forms” from the top menu bar. Complete the all three (3) items:
  • Immunization History
  • Health History
  • Meningitis Survey forms

Remember to choose “Submit” after each form.

NOTE: Complete the Consent for Minors form only if you will be under  17 at time of enrollment.

Your submission process is complete when:

  1. The portal forms have been completed and submitted and
  2. Your immunization documentation has been uploaded into the portal

Your records will be queued for review by the Immunization Coordinator. This review for compliance takes 3 business days.

Please note that residential students need to provide a vaccination verification for meningitis as well (see form).