In the Limelight . . .
The College of the Arts’ Department of Theatre and Dance has trained actors, dancers, production artists, educators and arts managers to create “magic” for the stage for more than 50 years. Our location 14 miles west of Manhattan puts students just minutes away from Broadway productions, world-class dance performances, internships and all that attracts artists from all over the world.
Our exceptional faculty, progressive curriculum and superb facilities meet the rigorous standards required for accreditation by the National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST) and Dance (NASD) – distinctions that place us among the top programs in the country.
We offer a range of undergraduate and graduate programs that explore the history, fundamentals and craft of a number of theatre and dance disciplines. Classroom work is supported by intensive, pre-professional production and performance schedules that mirror the professions.
Our Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) programs with concentrations in Acting, Dance, Musical Theatre, and Theatre Design, Technology, and Management prepare students for careers as performers, director/choreographers and backstage specialists. Our Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Theatre Studies is designed for students wishing to pursue broad-based theatre-related careers. The BA in Dance prepares students to teach, train and inspire the next generation of dancers, dance-lovers and creative thinkers.
We also offer a Master of Arts (MA) in Theatre Studies, providing students with the tools they need to lead and succeed professionally.
Launched in June 2016, our Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Dance is a new program designed for active, mid-career artists who wish to advance their careers and are ready to become arts educators and leaders in the field of dance.
Our department attracts more than 75 outstanding faculty and visiting professionals, including prominent celebrity guest artists and artists-in-residence. These performers, designers, choreographers and arts managers mentor our students by sharing valuable insights into the professional performance world.
Montclair State students design for and perform in six well-equipped theatres, including the state-of-the-art Alexander Kasser Theater; four dance studios; a 100-seat auditorium; a 2000-seat amphitheater; and the intimate L. Howard Fox Theatre.
Theatre and Dance students graduate ready to work. Some join – or start – professional ensembles, while others launch solo careers as performers or choreographers. Some teach in schools, studios and colleges, while others become agents and arts managers. Montclair State alumni perform on and off Broadway, in concert halls, regional and community theatres, theme parks and on cruise ships. They work in film, television, commercials and music videos.
To learn more, visit us or contact any of our faculty listed in our department staff directory.
Accreditations and Awards
All of our programs are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST) https://nast.arts-accredit.org.and the National Association of Schools of Dance (NASD) https://nasd.arts-accredit.org.
Theatre and Dance department faculty have received numerous awards, including prestigious American College Dance Association and Theatre Festival Association awards among others:
- American College Dance Association – National Recognitions, 1990, 1992, 1996, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2014, 2018, 2023
- American College Dance Association – Regional Recognitions, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2023
- American College Theatre Festival Association — National Recognitions, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
- American College Theatre Festival Association – Regional Recognitions, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
- National College Choreographic Initiative Grants, 2002, 2004
- National Endowment for the Arts Grant (to stage Paul Taylor’s “Company B” performance), 2011
To learn about the above awarding institutions, go to:
- National Association of Schools of Dance (NASD)
- National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST)
- American College Dance Association (formerly the American College Dance Festival Association)
- American College Theatre Festival Association