To be considered for admission to the BFA/BA DANCE MAJOR, students must first submit an online application to Montclair State University, then proceed to the Audition Preparation section for your video audition guidelines.
For All Dance Applicants
Applicants should be an incoming freshman or sophomore.
The University application will request the documents below.
- $65 Application fee
- Video Audition submission (if applicable)
- Resume of experience
- Personal Statement
- Full body dance pose of any kind showing line, form, and expression
- Small recent school photo or headshot
- Two letters of recommendation. One must come from an academic teacher, one from a dance professional
- $50 Audition fee
You will not receive information regarding the outcome of your audition if your application is incomplete. After the faculty audition review, some applicants will be invited, by email, to schedule a Zoom interview. You may view your required items anytime and upload materials at apply.montclair.edu/apply. You must first activate your Montclair State account through the email you received from Undergraduate Admissions with subject line, Thank you for Applying to Montclair State!, if you have not already done so.
FOR STUDENTS AUDITIONING THROUGH A PARTNER ORGANIZATION ONLY:
If you have participated, or plan to participate in an audition through a partner organization (such as NYCDA or Dance Wave/Dancing Through College and Beyond), you are not required to upload a video audition, but you must register here and choose your event. This registration allows us to connect your audition result to your university application. This registration does not take the place of registering for the audition itself with the partner organization. You are required to submit all of the other required materials listed below. After your audition with the partner organization, you will be contacted by the Dance admissions coordinator, Lynne Grossman firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions about your audition process please contact Lynne Grossman at email@example.com.
Montclair State University Video Dance Audition Content / Fall 2020 through Spring- 2021
Please wear clothing that allows adjudicators to clearly see you and your movement on video. Please avoid: dark colors on a dark background; oversized, thick, or loose clothing that obscures your movement and placement; and loose hairstyles that obscure your face. Wear appropriate footwear (ballet shoes for Ballet, barefoot for Modern/Contemporary, etc.) For your solo, and if you submit an Improvisation video, please choose hair and footwear appropriate for your movement, keeping visibility in mind. Make sure you stand out clearly from your background.
Students must complete – two out of – three of the options below (A, B, or C) in Part – 2 as well as complete the Part – 3 solo.
Your Dance Video Introduction:
Please introduce yourself with your name and where you are from.
Tell us how long you have studied the dance techniques/forms you will be presenting.
Please explain why you think studying dance in college is important to you as a dance artist.
How have you balanced academics and dance training/performance during high school?
Briefly tell us why you want to attend Montclair State University.
Complete – two out of – three of the following options:
- Sitting and/or lying down – warm-up phrase that incorporates upper body bends, spirals and head-tail connection.
- Standing warm-up phrase – include shifts of weight, changes of direction, and a spinal roll down and up.
- Standing warm-up phrase with foot brushes in turned out and parallel positions.
- Warm-up phrase that demonstrates body swings/drop swings.
- Movement phrase that incorporates moving from upright or standing positions to the floor and back up to standing – include use of upper body, transfer of weight, and articulation of spine.
- Movement phrase that travels across the floor and includes jumps and turns.
Video yourself improvising in movement to one of the following prompts, using music of your choice or no music. This should be approximately 1 minute in length.
- Move with varying rhythmic changes and syncopations at varying levels.
- Imagine coming up to the door of a home, office, or a specific room — a place you need to get into. Using an actual doorway, create and express either what it feels like to be rejected or what it feels like to be accepted.
- Improvise moving across the space using some or all of the following qualities – smooth, sharp, heavy, extreme slowness/quickness, inserting stillness or using your voice.
Barre: (Perform each exercise on one side, but alternate sides for filming as well as filming from the front and from the side.)
Demi and grand pliés with cambré forward, side and back.
Tendus from 5th position – some with demi plié.
Développé en croix.
Center: (Video both sides of combinations, ie right and left sides.)
Tombé pas de bourrée double pirouette en dehors.
Petit allegro incorporating changement, glissade, jeté, assemblé, pas de chat.
Grand Allegro incorporating the following steps: temp levé in arabesque (or cabriole), grand jeté, tour jeté/grand jeté en tournant.
Complete the following:
SOLO (your choice of style/form – approximately 70 seconds filming the full body – fill an additional 30 seconds of the same solo up close. see below)
Facial engagement and expressivity are the hardest things to capture in a video. We would like to have the full picture of you as an expressive mover through your body and your face.
- You may submit a solo you performed on stage at an event, however videos of solos should be no more than 6 months old.
- If you are making a new video, please video the entire solo with the whole body in view.
- Take a second video of the solo for about 30 seconds and have someone video much closer to view your face and upper body while you’re moving.
- Show your performance qualities.
- Demonstrate body connectivity, traveling, musicality, dynamics, artistry.
- Reveal what is special about you and how you move.
Please note, you must complete your application and submit all required materials for admission before your video audition will be reviewed. You will not receive information regarding the outcome of your video audition if your application is incomplete. After the faculty audition review, some applicants will be invited, by email, to schedule a Zoom interview. You may view your required items anytime and upload materials at apply.montclair.edu/apply. You must first activate your Montclair State account through the email you received from Undergraduate Admissions with subject line: Thank you for Applying to Montclair State!, if you have not already done so.
For Students Auditioning as a Change of Major:
If you are currently enrolled at Montclair State University and plan to audition for the Dance major, you will be required to email all of the requested materials to Lynne Grossman, Admissions Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide your full name and CWID for processing the audition fee to your Student Account.
If you have any questions about your audition process please contact Lynne Grossman at email@example.com