To be considered for admission to the BFA Dance program, you must first submit an online application to Montclair State University; then follow the guidelines below:
- Applicants should be incoming freshmen or sophomores.
- Upon completion and review of the submitted university application, applicants may be emailed an invitation to attend an audition with the Department of Theatre & Dance. (note: Please schedule your appointment online in accordance with sent instructions.
- The audition consists of:
- Participating in a ballet and modern dance technique class during regular school hours;
- Presentation of a minute and a half solo;
- An interview.
- Applicants must bring the following on the day of the audition:
- Resume of dance experience
- Photocopy of your high school or college transcript
- Two letters of recommendation from a teacher, director and/or other dance professional familiar with your work and potential. (note: Letter should evaluate your self-discipline, attitude, motivation, creativity and potential for success in the performing arts)
- Photo of yourself in a dance pose as well as a wallet size headshot.
- Written paragraph as to why you would like to study dance at MSU, e.g. At this time, what are your current career goals and how would your training/studies at MSU help you to fulfill those goals?
- Appropriate dance attire (i.e. leotards, tights and ballet slippers); and
- $50 Audition fee payable to MSU by check or money order.
- Applicants should arrive early on the day of their scheduled appointment.
- Note to long-distance applicants: Dance applicants for whom travel is prohibitive may submit a video in lieu of the in-person audition.
Following the portfolio interview, the Department of Theatre and Dance will notify candidates regarding their standing in the review process.
(Note: Once enrolled in the Dance Program, students must participate in an annual review to continue in the program.)