Please note: Students who wish to return to a major in theatre and dance after an absence of two or more consecutive semesters must reapply, and in some cases re-audition, to be considered for readmission to the program. At the discretion of the faculty, students may be required to satisfy program requirements in effect at the time of readmission.
Applying for admission to the Department of Theatre and Dance is a two-step process:
- The University application – First, submit an online application to Montclair State University, following guidelines for undergraduate or graduate admission:
- The Department Audition, Interview or Portfolio Review – Admission requirements vary from program to program. Click on the links below for specific program details and instructions.
Students participating in an audition event conducted by a Partner Organization are required to register for the event online after submitting a University application.
Please note – prospective students who apply to the University through the CommonApp will receive an email from the Office of Admissions inviting them to create an MSU application portal. All audition materials should be uploaded there.
Current Students seeking a Change of Major
If you are currently enrolled at Montclair State University and wish to change your major to a program in the Department of Theatre and Dance, you do not need to reapply to the university. Instead, email the appropriate representative below to submit an interview, audition, or portfolio review. You will be notified of the result by email.
You will be required to submit for review all of the materials that appear on the Department of Theatre and Dance Application website.
Application reviews will begin at the end of November and continue on a rolling basis.
BFA Musical Theatre
Professor Clay James
Professor Heather Benton
BFA Theatre Design, Technology and Management
Professor Debra Otte
As admission to our programs is competitive, we encourage you to complete your application with special attention to the following:
Once you have submitted your application, including any required pre-screen videos, you will be invited to schedule an audition on one of the following dates. Please note that if you do not move past the pre-screening, you will be notified and your audition appointment will be canceled.
DANCE (BFA and BA):
November 10 Virtual Audition
December 8 In person Audition
January 26 In person Audition
February 23 In person Audition
March 16 In person Audition
April 13 Virtual Audition
- MUSICAL THEATRE (BFA) TBD
- THEATRE (BFA) TBD
- All applicants for the spring semester must submit a completed University application by November 15, 2021.
- Freshman applicants for the fall semester should submit a completed university application by a date no later than March 1, 2022 in order to be considered for housing and financial aid.
- Application reviews will occur on a rolling basis through approximately March 1, 2022.
- Applications submitted after March 1, 2022 are intended for late-applying transfer applicants and University-enrolled students who wish to change their majors.
Partner Organizations Event Calendar
*Please note that guidelines for some Partner Organizations are currently under development.
BFA, BA Dance
NYCDA (New York City Dance Alliance)
- July 13-18, 2021 (Completed)
Dancewave Through College & Beyond
- October 22-24, 2021
For further information visit https://dancewave.org/dtcb/
Booker T Washington Showcase/ College Auditions
- 2021 – 2022 Dates TBD
For further information visit http://www.btwshowcase.com/
BFA Musical Theatre, BFA Acting, and BFA Design, Technology and Management
National Unified Auditions
- New York City – January 29 – 30, 2022
- Chicago – February 7 – 10, 2022
- Anaheim – February 12 – 13, 2022
- For further information, visit unifiedauditions.com
College Audition Prep Auditions
- Atlanta – November 10 – 14, 2021
- For further information, visit collegeauditionproject.com
- Dallas – November 18 – 21, 2021
- For further information, visit collegeauditioncoach.com/moonifieds
Mid-Atlantic Auditions (MARCAS) – BFA Acting Program only
- For further information visit https://www.midatlanticauditions.com/
Booker T Washington Showcase/ College Auditions – BFA Acting Program only
- For further information visit http://www.btwshowcase.com/
New Jersey Thespian Festival – BFA Acting Program only
- For further information visit https://www.njthespians.org/
No audition is required for this program
Notification of Admission Status
Following the application review, the Department will forward its recommendation to the Admissions Office, which will notify you of your overall status . Please note that, in some cases, applicants may be placed on a waiting list.
Graduate Appointment Dates
For MA Theatre, with concentration in Theatre Studies in:
Interview appointments for all graduate programs are scheduled individually with the Graduate Program Coordinator, generally weekdays 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Applicants to Department of Theatre and Dance programs may qualify for one of the scholarships, grants and/or other sources of financial aid offered by the University. The following resources may be of help: