a photo of Rocky the mascot next to the Red Hawk Statue

Military/Veteran Student Checklist

Now that you’ve been accepted to Montclair State, your next step is to enroll as a full-fledged Red Hawk.

Use the checklist below for guidance.

In addition to completing the steps on the Freshmen Student Checklist or Transfer Student Checklist, accepted military students should review the information below:

Step 1
Apply for Financial Aid

To be considered for federal and state financial aid, as well as for any merit- or non-merit-based scholarships, you must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) by the March 1 deadline.

Be sure to review the Financial Aid Checklist to make certain that you have completed all necessary steps and to keep your financial aid applications on track.

The Office of Student Financial Aid works closely with the Buffalo Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office to help veterans and service members with their educational benefit applications and the certification process. Our Accepted Vet/Military GI Checklist can also help you with the process.

Step 2
Visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Website

As a Yellow Ribbon School, Montclair State offers veterans and military personnel the opportunity to achieve their educational and professional goals with exceptional academic programs and specialized support services.

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website also provides information on various education benefits administered by the VA, such as:

  • Information on all educational assistance programs, including the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
  • A comparison chart to help you determine which VA education benefit is best for you
  • Payment rates for educational benefits
  • A chart showing the maximum in-state tuition and fees by state
  • BAH listing by zip code
Step 3
Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)

If you are considering switching to the Post 9/11 GI bill (Chapter 33), please note that your decision to relinquish one of the other VA benefit programs, such as Chapter 30, 1606 or 1607, is irrevocable.

Step 4
Contact the VA in writing

If you are unclear about which program would best suit your needs, we suggest you contact the VA in writing. Montclair State University cannot provide this type of advice because the VA determines program eligibility based on your individual military record. We recommend that you keep a copy of their response for your records.

Step 5
Apply for benefits

Visit the Veterans Online Application Website (VONAPP) to apply for benefits. If you have questions while completing the form, call the VA at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

Step 6
Make an appointment with our Certifying Officer

Once you receive your certification from the VA, make an appointment to see Mr. Kenneth Key, Veterans Certifying Officer for Montclair State University. He can be reached by email at keyk@mail.montclair.edu or by phone at 973-655-4462.  His office is located in the Undergraduate Admissions Office, Room 100, College Hall. When you meet with Mr. Key, be sure to bring a copy of your certification and your DD214.

Please note that you must immediately report any changes to your schedule to Mr. Key.  IMPORTANT: If you withdraw from a course, you will be responsible for any overpayment made by the VA on your behalf.

Step 7
Meet with the Coordinator for Academic Success Programs

All military/veteran students are encouraged to schedule an appointment with the Coordinator for Academic Success Programs upon their admission to the University.

During your first appointment, you will learn about course registration, specific information about your major’s requirements and gain insights to help you prepare for your academic career at Montclair State.

To schedule your appointment, please call 973-655-4162 or contact us.