Support Services Clinic Information
Support Services are offered, by appointment only, to students, faculty, and staff with personal computers who are currently members of the Montclair State University community. Appointments are made on a first-come, first-serve basis. Appointments can be scheduled by contacting the IT Service Desk at 973-655-7971, option 1. They are scheduled in two-hour blocks, and you must be present for the duration of the appointment with your machine. Please bring all necessary equipment with your computer such as power cables and other required adapters. The IT Service cannot take custody of your machine at any time, for any reason.
The only computers we service are those directly connected to and/or affected by our Network. Hardware related issues including but not limited to Operating System Troubleshooting and Device Driver Installation / Configuration are unsupported by the IT Service Desk.
Our trained IT Service Desk technicians will work hands-on with your computer to troubleshoot issues such as:
- Campus Network Registration for Windows 7/8/10 and Mac OSX
- Virus and Spyware Issues
What to do before considering an appointment with the team?
- Make sure you have a connection, either wired or wireless (MSU-WiFi, MSU-Secure).
- If you feel that your Windows computer is infected or running slow, first start by cleaning up your Cookies and Temporary Internet Files. In Windows, delete items such as Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, History, Download History, Form Data, Passwords, ActiveX Filtering and Tracking Protection Data.
- Attempt a virus scan with your current anti-virus software before coming in for an appointment. If you are unable to complete the antivirus scan due to malicious activity on the machine, then please note that when you schedule an appointment.
You will be required to sign this work waiver agreement when you visit the IT Service Desk for a Support Services clinic appointment:
I understand that due to the nature of some virus codes, attempted removal of the virus could potentially cause permanent damage or deletion of system files or my personal document files. I acknowledge that OIT cannot be held responsible for any data loss that may occur as a result of the virus removal process.
In exchange for this waiver of liability, IT agrees to assist with the removal of viruses from my desktop or laptop PC, and to configure the computer for safe operation on Montclair State University’s network. Additional steps in that regard may include installation of any relevant Microsoft Windows OS patches and installation of the Sophos AntiVirus software if suitable anti-virus software is not already on the machine. In addition, IT will also ensure that both Windows OS patches and Sophos AntiVirus are scheduled for automatic updates. I fully understand that this service is only offered for resolving virus related problems. I also understand that IT is providing best effort technical support and extends no guarantee of a successful repair of my operating system. If a member of the OIT staff determines that my computer requires additional technical services, I understand that I will be responsible for pursuing additional support through the original equipment manufacturer or third party support vendor of my choice.
I understand that Montclair State University will not provide any property insurance coverage for my personal property and any necessary repairs will be at my expense. By granting OIT the permission to work on my computer I understand that it may void any existing warranties.
*Note a new agreement must be signed each time you visit the IT Support Services clinic
Virus Clinic -Work Waiver Agreement
In order to set up a virus appointment, you must meet the following requirements:
- Your computer must be able to boot up into the operating system.
- You must be a current MSU student or faculty/staff member with a computer that is registered on the MSU network.
- You must be able to stay with the IT Service Desk technician for a minimum of 2 hours – we are unable to service computers without the user present.
- We are unable to support computers located in your home.
- We are unable to accept walk-in appointments. You must contact the University IT Service Desk at 973-655-7971, option 1 to schedule an appointment.
- Sign and agree to the terms and conditions contained within the Work Waiver Agreement
The IT Service Desk Technician will remove, at your discretion, software that may be outdated (e.g. Anti-virus) and that thus, may conflict with any current programs installed (i.e. Sophos).
The IT Service Desk Technician may recommend to you that it is necessary to also remove any possible applications or folders that appear to disrupt the general security of the computer due to a virus.
The IT Service Desk Technician may determine that the issue is not resolvable by the IT Service Desk and will recommend that the computer be brought to a local vendor for repair at the sole cost of the computer owner.
For a list of local vendors for computer issue that can not be worked on by the service desk. Suggested vendor for personal computers/