Information Technology Division at Montclair State University offers variety of software applications that allow users to easily engage during their affiliation with the University. Below is a listing with links to appropriate documentation.
Teaching and Learning Technologies
- Canvas – University Learning Management System Faculty Canvas Guide
- ePortfolios –At MSU, we have two options for creating an ePortfolio, Google sites ePortfolio and the Canvas ePortfolio. Please refer to our ePortfolios User Guide when creating ePortfolios in Google Sites. Students and instructors can also create an ePortfolio using Canvas. Students can upload their assignments, projects, or any other professional and academic work to showcase their learning process. More information on the Canvas ePortfolio tool is available from the Canvas Community.
- Google Apps Montclair State University participates in Google Apps for Education that allows for us to have access to Google Mail, Drive, Calendar, Analytics and so much more.
- Panopto is an all-in-one video platform. It provides desktop lecture recording and automatic captioning services, as well as pedagogical features to add learning interactions within a video. It is seamlessly integrated with the Canvas learning management system. Documentation on Creating a Recording Using Panopto has been developed for both the PC (Windows) and Mac (Apple). Students can also create Panopto recording in your Canvas course. For more details, please review our documentation for student use of Panopto: Panopto Recordings for Students and Panopto Assignments for Students.
- Respondus LockDown Browser
- Turnitin – Montclair State University’s plagiarism detection system. It is integrated directly with Canvas.
Full List of Faculty/Staff Applications
- Adobe Products – are a set of applications from Acrobat that allows you to create or edit PDFs to Creative Cloud that allows you to utilize a subset of applications like PhotoShop, InDesign, Illustrator or After Effects.
- Advocate (Symplicity) – a case management system for student conduct, Title IX, and behavioral intervention management. Please refer to documentation on Creating a Public Report and Creating a Public Incident Report.
- Apple – Mac Operating System
- Attendance Verification – is an ellucian module, part of the banner suite, used to track students attendance end verify their eligibility for financial aid.
- Banner 9 – is a web interface for accessing banner administrative pages and manipulating student data. Requires authorized access. Banner 9 learning aids
- Cognos Reporting – is a reporting tool used to create and run University reports of student data.
- Degree Works – is a web-based planning and tracking tool that helps students and advisors monitor a student’s academic progress toward graduation. Degree Works User Guide
- Electronic Voting System(EVS) – is a web application used to administer campus internal elections and voting. EVS User Guide
- Gartner Portal – is an application used to gain research articles from Gartner. About Gartner Portal (PDF)
- Generic Account Center – is an application used to request a generic email account. It is mainly used by administrative offices and programs.
- Google Resource Calendar Center (GRCC) – is a web application that allows users to request and manage google resource calendar. GRCC User Guide
- Group Manager – is a web application that allows you to manage specific file shares on MSU Files or grant access to Sharp Devices. How to use the Group Manager app
- Instructional Service Reporting (ISR) – is a web application used by instructional staff to complete their instructional service reporting.
- ITDS Course Registration – is an application that allows to register for IT training course.
- Microsoft Products
- MSU File Hawk is a web application that facilitates the transfer of confidential documents between university employees. File Hawk User Guide
- NEST – is the University portal for user services. NEST Tutorial and FAQ documents
- NetID Form – is a web application that allows users to activate and manage their NetID and password. Activate/Manage NetID an password
- HawkSync – is a web portal that allows you to be in tune with all the campus events. OrgSync (HawkSync) User Guide
- PeopleSoft – is a Financial Management System.
- Rave – is a set of safety, academic and auxiliary mobile applications. Rave User Guide
- SPSS – is a tool that offers advanced statistical analysis, a vast library of machine-learning algorithms, text analysis, open-source extensibility, integration with big data and seamless deployment into applications.
- Starfish – is a tool that instructors can use to alert students and their advisors on their academic performance.
- Sympa Lists – Montclair State’s mailing list service.
- Workday – is a cloud based set of applications used for human capital management (HCM) and payroll. Workday learning resources
- 25Live – is an enterprise-class, web-based event calendaring, scheduling, and publishing system. 25Live User Guide
- Zoom offers a robust and growing set of collaboration features to satisfy relevant use cases, with integrated room systems. Zoom is the officially recommended Video/Web Conferencing tool across campus.
Software Repository Downloads
Access additional software by visiting the Software Repository application. Software that can found on this site:
- Citrix Virtualization software that allows Windows applications to be accessed via individual devices from a shared server or cloud system.
- EndNote (Mac and Windows) Software tool for publishing and managing bibliographies, citations and references on the Windows and Macintosh desktop.
- JMP Pro (Mac and Windows) Statistical analysis program.
- Office 365 Microsoft subscription plans that include access to Office applications such as Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Putty Secure Shell Documentation An open-source terminal emulator, serial console and network file transfer application.
- Sophos Antivirus A security and antivirus solution that delivers advanced, real-time protection from the latest ransomware, malicious software, and hacking attempts.