After the success of the Italian Business paid internship in its first two years (read about 2017-18 edition and the 2018-19 edition), the Inserra Chair and the Italian Program at Montclair State University are very pleased to announce the 2019-20 edition in a slightly new formula: the two-part internship will now be offered as two separate internships, at the Italian Trade Agency, New York and Choose New Jersey, Newark (note that CNJ will move from Princeton to Newark in Oct. 2019). This formula will benefit two rather than just one student.
Each of the two selected students will intern at the ITA or CNJ for 160 hours. The ITA internship takes place during the 2018 summer break and the CNJ one during the 2019 winter break (the latter may include a business trip to Italy). The internships will follow specific schedules that each student and hosting institution will agree upon.
At both locations, the intern/s will have the following general responsibilities:
- Assisting in project management re: international trade, marketing and consulting (providing information and services to Italian companies approaching the U.S. market, with special focus on those interested in the Tristate area)
- Assisting in the creation of studies and reports based on available data
- Assisting in event organization, media relations, and planning of business trips for a delegation traveling to Italy
Eligibility: Advanced students (juniors or seniors at the time of the internship) enrolled in the Italian Program. Preference will be given to:
- A current major in Italian, especially one majoring in Language, Business and Culture with a focus in Italian;
- An Italian major minoring or double majoring in a discipline with an international and/or a business/communications focus;
- A student in one of the above categories with previous experience in office administration, data analysis, student governance, promotion/PR, and/or event organization;
- Use of several office automation tools (such as, but not limited to, Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe, etc.), familiarity with main social media
- Knowledge of Italian (intermediate level minimum)
- Problem-solving skills, autonomy, ability to adapt to new environments
Application form available HERE
Deadline to apply: Sun. June 30, 2019 at midnight.
For more information write to Teresa Fiore, Inserra Chair at email@example.com
After the selection of the intern/s is completed, the description of the specific tasks and of the distribution of hours will be included in an agreement between 1. Hosting institution (ITA or Choose New Jersey) and 2. the student. The student will also sign a standard consent letter required by MSU. Both documents will be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
Students will submit a mid-way report and a final report after approval from the on-site supervisors to the faculty adviser (Dr. Fiore at email@example.com) in order to receive the scholarship funds.
This is a paid internship program supported by the Lawrence R. Inserra, Jr. Scholarship program. Each intern will receive a $2,500 stipend as credit for tuition and fees, i.e. the money will be transferred directly to the student’s Montclair State University account.
The selection committee is composed of: Teresa Fiore (Inserra Chair in Italian and Italian American Studies and Associate Professor of Italian), Marisa Trubiano (Associate Professor of Italian), Enza Antenos (Assistant Professor of Italian), Margie Pieliere (CNJ) and Ferdinando Gueli (ITA, NYC).
Note 1: Should the internship involve a trip to Italy, the intern (and/or the hosting institution) is responsible for all related expenses, unless otherwise specified in the agreement with the hosting institution. Once the trip is planned, the intern is required to register at this website to follow federal regulations for student travel. For more information, please contact the Office of International Engagement on campus.
Note 2: Students will mention this internship on resumes and online profiles (LinkedIn, etc.) as follows: Intern at XX, as part of the Inserra Scholarships for Internships Program, Montclair State University