The Inserra Paid Internship Program, which enters its third year in 2019, now features a new partnership with Safilo, a major Italian eyewear brand. In line with one of the program’s focuses – Italian Business and Made in Italy – this new internship provides students in Italian at MSU targeted opportunities to learn about an established Italian company in the global market, and an international leader in the field.
The select student interns at Safilo USA in Secaucus, NJ for 160 hours during the Summer (see post about the Summer 2019 edition).
The intern/s will have the following general responsibilities:
- Assisting in project management in the areas of business marketing and procurement;
- Assisting in the creation of studies and reports based on available data in the areas of HR, Training, Recruitment and Benefits;
- Assisting in the design, artistic, aesthetic side of the business, if applicable.
Eligibility: Advanced students (juniors or seniors at the time of the internship) enrolled in the Italian Program. Preference will be given to:
- A current major in Italian, especially one majoring in Language, Business and Culture with a focus in Italian;
- An Italian major minoring or double majoring in a discipline related to the company (Fashion, Design, Business, Accounting, Data Management, etc.);
- A student in one of the above categories with previous experience in office administration, data analysis, student governance, promotion/PR, and/or event organization;
- Use of several office automation tools (such as, but not limited to, Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe, etc.), familiarity with main social media
- Knowledge of Italian (intermediate level minimum)
- Problem-solving skills, autonomy, ability to adapt to new environments
Application form available HERE
Deadline to apply: PASSED
For more information write to Teresa Fiore, Inserra Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org
After the selection of the intern/s is completed, the description of the specific tasks and of the distribution of hours will be included in an agreement between 1. Hosting institution (Safilo) and 2. the student. The student will also sign a standard consent letter required by MSU. Both documents will be submitted to email@example.com
This is a paid internship program supported by the Lawrence R. Inserra, Jr. Scholarship program. The student intern will receive a $2,500 stipend as credit for tuition and fees, i.e. the money will be transferred directly to the student’s Montclair State University account.
The selection committee is composed of: Teresa Fiore (Inserra Chair in Italian and Italian American Studies and Associate Professor of Italian), Marisa Trubiano (Associate Professor of Italian), Enza Antenos (Assistant Professor of Italian), and Chiara Pierangelo (Safilo Purchasing Program Manager).
The relationship with Safilo started in the course of a meeting held on the MSU campus in 2017 with roughly 20 Italian companies in the NY-NJ area. Organized and sponsored by the Inserra Chair, the meeting allowed for the creation of a dynamic network of contacts, and the creation of unique opportunities for our students, such as this paid internship.
Note: Should the internship involve a trip to Italy, the intern (and/or the hosting institution) is responsible for all related expenses, unless otherwise specified in the agreement with the hosting institution. Once the trip is planned, the intern is required to register at this website to follow federal regulations for student travel. For more information, please contact the Office of International Engagement on campus.