blossoms on trees in the spring
News and Announcements

Film About Depp/Heard Trial Written by SCM Professor Debuts Today

Posted in: School of Communication and Media News

Two people in conflict lookig away from each other

A film about the Johnny Depp/Amber Heard defamation trial written by Montclair State University Assistant Professor Guy Nicolucci debuts today. The movie, which was quickly adapted from the courtroom drama this summer, can be found exclusively on the free Tubi TV platform. 

Nicolucci, whose distinguished career has included stints as a writer for the Daily Show and as a screenwriter for several Lifetime dramas before joining the School of Communication and Media two years ago, enjoyed the collaboration and quick pace that brought “Hot Take: The Depp/Heard Trial” to fruition. 

In early May, he reconnected with industry friend Angie Day from MarVista Entertainment, a global entertainment and production company. Day asked Nicolucci if he might be interested in writing a script based on the trial, which had already started. Based on conversations with Day, watching the trial and research, Nicolucci narrowed his idea for the script. Eleven days later, he had a nearly 100-page draft. After the normal revision, legal and editing process, filming began on July 14. In early August, a rough cut of the film was ready. In the middle of all that, on June 1 Heard was found guilty of intentionally and maliciously defaming Depp in her 2018 Washington Post op-ed piece that portrayed her as a public figure representing domestic abuse. 

Despite Nicolucci’s extensive film credits and experience working on tight deadlines around current news, creating a full-length film from concept to completion in less than three months was new to him.

“One of the reasons I could do this was from my experience at The Daily Show, where we were reacting and writing in real time to the news of the day,” he said. “But this was different. I’m still amazed at how the actors and directors pulled this off. Everyone was so engaged and had great feedback on the script and the entire process.” 

And how can the experience help Nicolucci and his students in the classroom? “Working as a writer on this project helped me understand my students’ feelings about the tight deadlines and the rules I impose. It makes me a more empathetic instructor for what students go through in my classes.”

Story by Keith Green, School of Communication and Media