Get Pump(kin)ed for these Career Tips
Don’t Be Afraid, Opportunity Is Knocking…
Posted in: Announcements, Career, Featured News, Red Hawk News
On Halloween, we all love a good scare. But don’t let your job search haunt you! Check out these career tips to make sure you aren’t scaring potential employers away.
Don’t be a Ghost
Ghosting at work, whether you do it to an employer, or an employer does it to you, causes chaos for all. Not only is ghosting an employer or potential employer unprofessional, but it is also unsafe. In fact, if a student does not show up for a shift at their on-campus job and does not tell their boss ahead of time, supervisors are required to report that student as missing to the University. Networking continues to reign as the most powerful job search technique and ghosting burns bridges. Long story short, even declining a job offer should involve open communication, as evidenced by this email template.
Resurrect Your Resume
- Upload Your Resume for Feedback: Employers often formulate their first impression of you based on your resume. Make sure your resume is up-to-date by adding any new activities and experiences as well as skills and competencies you have gained or strengthened. Include relevant coursework and update your GPA! Then, upload your resume to Handshake for feedback from career services.
- Are You Career Ready? The National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) has identified core competencies as a measure of career-readiness. Evaluate whether you possess these competencies and where you can improve. When writing your resume and/or cover letter, be sure to highlight experiences that demonstrate these competencies.
Don’t Be a Recluse, Build Your Web
Did you know that half to upwards of 80% of jobs are filled through networking? One of the best ways to build your network is to connect with hiring managers and recruiters who host events for Montclair State University’s students.
To see all upcoming events and workshops, sign into your Handshake account, then click Events on the top navigation. These upcoming events are open to ALL students.
- FSBUS Wells Fargo: Setting Financial Goals (Campus to Career): Wednesday, November 2, 2:30 – 4 p.m., Online.
- Chubb Career Series: Why Start Your Career in Insurance?: Thursday, November 3, 1-2 p.m., Online.
- Fisher Investments – Job Offer, Now What?: Friday, November 4, 1 – 2 p.m., Online.
- MEDITECH – Careers in Healthcare IT for ALL majors!: Tuesday, November 8, 4-5 p.m., Online.
- CART Employer Series – Montclair State University Galleries and MANA Fine Arts: Wednesday, November 9, 1:30 – 2:30 p.m., University Galleries, 4th Floor of Red Hawk Deck.
- NJ TRANSIT Summer 2023 Internship Info Session: Wednesday, November 9, 2-3 p.m., Online.
- FSBUS Recruiter Secrets Revealed with Enterprise: Wednesday, November 9, 2-3:30 p.m., Online.
- KIPP NJ Public Schools Information Session: Wednesday, November 9, 2-4 p.m., University Hall, Room 3054.
- America Needs You (ANY) Information Session: Thursday, November 10, 5-6 p.m., Online.
Decide ‘Witch’ Jobs Are A Good Fit
On- and off-campus employers post jobs and internships in Handshake every week. To begin searching for opportunities, sign into your Handshake account using your NetID and password, then click Jobs on the top navigation. Below are a few that have been posted this week!
- Haymarket Media: Data Analyst Clients Reporting and Insights
- Uncommon Schools: Regional Schools Coordinator
- Citizens Bank: Software Engineer I – Technology Development Program
- The Young Center for Immigrant Children’s Rights: Volunteer Coordinator
- Eden’s Sweet Ideas LLC: Digital Marketer & Social Media Manager
- New York County District Attorney’s Office: Case Coordinator
- CityMD: Medical Scribe
- J.B. Hunt Transport: Operations Manager Trainee
- One River School Art + Design: Art Studio Coordinator
- Novartis: Reimbursement Specialist
- TRC Companies: Environmental Science Intern
- American Express: Strategic Partnerships Summer Intern
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society: Intern, Walk MS
- Dow Jones News Fund: Summer Journalism Interns
- YES Network: Communications Intern
- NYC Department of Investigation: Desktop Support Intern | Investigative Intern
- Mars: Inc: Ecommerce Undergraduate Intern
- Warner Bros Discovery: Technical Program Management Intern
- Madison Square Garden Entertainment/Sports/Networks: Human Resources & People Acquisition Internship
- Kids in the Game: Non-Profit Community Impact Intern
Career Goodies on the Go
These resources are available to you 24/7!
- Focus-2 is a self-paced, online career and education planning tool designed to help you make decisions about career goals and education plans. You will be able to assess your values, skills and interests and explore career fields and major areas of study that are compatible with your assessment results. Learn more!
- On-Demand Workshops allow you to watch recorded webinars when it’s convenient for you. Need help writing your resume? Preparing for an upcoming interview? Our webinars cover a wide range of career development topics. Watch Now!
- Log into Handshake from your phone! Download the Handshake Jobs & Careers app to quickly search, filter and apply for jobs right from your phone! You can also use the app to schedule counseling appointments, RSVP to events and see career fair event details and booth maps, all while on the go! Download on App Store | Download on Google Play
Connect with Career Services
- Office Contact – email@example.com
- Instagram – msucareerservices
- Facebook – Red Hawk Careers
- Twitter – MSUcareerserv
- Soundcloud – Career Services Podcast
- YouTube – MSUCareerWorkshops
- LinkedIn – MSU Career Center
- Engage – The Center for Career Services