February 20: Free Professional Clothing, Win a TV…more!
Study Abroad Fair, Influencer Alert, Community Ball, Sports & Fitness Day, Body Acceptance…more!
Posted in: Announcements, Deadlines, Events, Featured News, Red Hawk News
Free Professional Attire for You!
Are you going to a job interview, attending a professional conference or work in an office and need professional attire? We have FREE professional attire and casual clothing items for those seeking to build their professional closets, as they enter the workforce. Our Rocky’s Closet student team members are waiting to introduce you to a variety of choices! We have sizes ranging from XXS-XXL, with dressing rooms available! Come see for yourself on Wednesday, February 22, 1:30-3:30 p.m., The Village, Alice Paul Hall, 4th floor. There will also be snacks and prizes! Suit Up!
Body Acceptance Week
Join the Office of Health Promotion from Monday, February 20 – Friday, February 24 for Body Acceptance Week, as we celebrate ourselves, our bodies plus encourage self expression and acceptance. Activities include, but are not limited, to self love events, mirror decorating, yoga and so much more! Remember that you are enough, one of a kind and an original! See What’s Happening All Week!
With over 2.5 million followers across various social media platforms, you’re invited to spend an hour with Montclair State Alumni, Johnny Ross, to hear all about the ups and downs of beauty influencing. Join us for Beautiful and Bothered: Ask an Influencer, Tuesday, February 21, 12-1 p.m., Student Center Ballroom, A&B. Don’t Miss It!
Alternative Spring Break
Join us this Spring Break by serving your community for a full week of service and activities! This week-long service event will take place on Monday, March 6 – Friday, March 10. Service will take place in-person, both on and off campus. Registration is open now and closes on Friday, February 24. Get All the Details!
The Meaning of Life… and Smartphones!
Our use of smartphones can interfere with the building-blocks of meaningfulness and the actions that shape our self-identity. Do you agree? Join the discussion with Montclair’s Philosophy professor Dr. Tiger Roholt, Wednesday, February 22, 7-8 p.m., University Hall, Room 1020. Connect with Us!
Ever want to get in one of those plastic hamster balls and run around? What if we stepped it up a notch and said you can do it on water! Get your wheels turning with us on Wednesday, February 22, 6-8 p.m., Student Recreation Center, Pool. There will also be a chance to win a Polaroid camera! Let’s Roll!
Win a Smart TV!
For real! Participate in the on-campus daily Scavenger Hunt, Monday, February 20 – Friday, February 24, for your chance to win! A team of School of Communication and Media students created their “Touch Grass, Check Facts” campaign which is designed to educate and empower you to spot and stop the spread of misinformation. Learn about the campaign and the News Literacy Media Panel to be held on Thursday, February 23. Get the Real Facts!
Go Red Hawks!
Congratulations to the Men’s Basketball team who beat NJCU 89-69 to advance to the NJAC Semifinals. Our Red Hawks will play Stockton University on Tuesday, February 21 at Stockton!
Also, catch up on how well our Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving teams did as they competed in the Metropolitan Championships in New Brunswick, NJ, over the weekend.
And get all the news about our Indoor Track and Field teams success at the Fastrack National Invitational this past Friday. They will compete in the 2023 NJAC Indoor Championships on Monday, February 20, at the Ocean Breeze Track and Field Center.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- Textiles and Weaving in Antiquity: Tuesday, February 21, 11:15 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Dickson Hall, Cohen Lounge.
- My Body is a Masterpiece – A Space to Create: Tuesday, February 21, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m., Student Center, Ballroom A&B.
- Stop & Go with CAST: Tuesday, February 21, 12-1 p.m., Student Center, 3rd Floor, Commuter Commons.
- International Language Coffee Hour: Tuesday, February 21, 3-4 p.m., Feliciano School of Business, Room 140.
- Soccer Open Play: Tuesday, February 21, 3-5 p.m., Student Recreation Center, Gym.
- “Stop the Bleed” Training: Tuesday, February 21, 5-7, School of Nursing, Room 253.
- Rec Nights – Wood Sign Painting: Tuesday, February 21, 7-9 p.m., Student Recreation Center, Lounge.
- Study Abroad Fair: Wednesday, February 22, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., Student Center, Ballrooms.
- Ash Wednesday Services: Wednesday, February 22, 12:15 p.m., 3 p.m., 5:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., University Hall, 7th Floor Conference Center.
- NIRSA Recreational Sports and Fitness Day: Wednesday, February 22, 2-4 p.m., Student Recreation Center.
- Purim Celebration: Wednesday, February 22, 2:30-3:30 p.m., Student Center, Room 419
- Student Town Hall – Expectations on Dining & Living: Wednesday, February 22, 3:15-4:30 p.m., Student Center, Room 411.
- Men’s Lacrosse vs Vassar: Wednesday, February 22, 4-6 p.m., Sprague Field.
- Voices on Contemporary Antisemitism – Unpacking Intersectionality: Wednesday, February 22, 6:30-8 p.m., Online.
- The Empowerment Project: Thursday, February 23, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., Drop In Center.
- “Is Time Travel Possible?”: Thursday, February 23, 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Schmitt Hall, Room 104.
- Pixar Trivia: Thursday, February 23, 8-9 p.m., Student Center, Rathskeller.
- Quartet-in-Residence Harlem Quartet: Thursday, February 23, 8-9 p.m., Chapin Hall, Leshowitz Recital Hall.
- Diaspora – A Celebration of Black Art!: Friday, February 24, 8-9 p.m., Chapin Hall, Leshowitz Recital Hall.
- Hike and Skate through NYC: Saturday, February 25, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., Bus leaves from the Student Recreation Center.
- Men’s Lacrosse vs Scranton: Saturday, February 25, 12-2 p.m., Sprague Field.
- Crafts and Cones: Saturday, February 25, 7-9 p.m., Student Center, Dining Room.
- The Red Hawk Community Ball: Sunday, February 26, 7-9 p.m., Student Center, Ballrooms.
- Rec Nights – Essential Oils: Tuesday, February 28, 7-9 p.m., Student Recreation Center, Lounge.
- Glow Yoga: Wednesday, March 1, 1:30-4 p.m., Student Center, Ballrooms.
- Myths and Realities of Harm Reduction – A Panel Discussion: Thursday, March 2, 1-3 p.m., Feliciano School of Business, Room 101.
- Self Defense Class: Thursday, March 2, 5:30-7 p.m., George Segal Gallery.
- Trick Question Trivia: Thursday, March 2, 8-9 p.m., Student Center, Rathskeller.
Important Reminders and Resources
- Want Live Entertainment? Student Life At Montclair (SLAM) is conducting a survey to get your feedback on what type of live entertainment you would like to see on campus!
- Summer Session Registration Currently Available: Registration is now open! Did you know, you can actually complete 12 credits, a full-time load, this summer without overlapping any of your courses?
- Get Academic Support: CAST Academic Support is excited for the spring semester! Tutoring, Academic Coaching and Supplemental Instruction schedules are now live for students in Navigate.
- Bookstore Discount: Did you know you can get 10% off all regularly priced items at the University Bookstore every Friday if you wear something Montclair?! That’s right! Show your Red Hawk Pride every Friday!
- What’s Open?: Make sure you are aware of this handy website that tells you what’s open right now, what’s opening in the next 30 minutes or closing in the next 30 minutes!
Dates and Deadlines
- Study Away Opportunity: Check out details for Montclair in Sicily: Culture and Sustainability, a faculty-led 2-week study abroad program based in Taormina, Sicily or Montclair in Italy – Archaeology Field School at Villa of the Antonines, a month long program 18 miles from Rome! Deadline to apply is Tuesday, February 28.
- Social Media Internship Opportunity: Apply to Red Hawk Life by Wednesday, March 1.
- Student Research Symposium: You’re invited to participate in this year’s university-wide Student Research Symposium on Wednesday, April 26! Abstract submission is open until Monday, March 13.
- Important Dates: Never miss a deadline with this website.