Broadway, Spring Sports, Pebbles!…more!
Women’s History Month, Myths and Realities, Grad Open House, Registration, Self Defense…more!
Posted in: Announcements, Deadlines, Events, Featured News, Red Hawk Central, Red Hawk News
Rocky the Red Hawk is proud to introduce to the campus community his new pupscot (a puppy mascot): Pebbles. Just like Rocky, Pebbles, a mini labradoodle, is here to spread Red Hawk Pride to one and all. Keep a sharp lookout for Pebbles at campus activities or just taking a stroll wagging her tail with joy every time she meets a fellow Red Hawk. Many students have shared stories of how much they miss their four-legged friends and what joy it brings them when they see a puppy on campus. We often have dogs at the University for stress management programming once or twice a semester, so why not have that kind of emotional support all-year-round?! Make sure to follow Pebbles on her brand new Instagram @pebblesredhawk and be sure to tag her in any photos you get with her on campus! Woof Woof!
Women’s History Month
Join us for the Women’s History Month Flag Raising on Wednesday, March 1, 11:45 a.m., starting with a processional from Alexander Kasser Theatre to the Student Center, Flagpoles. This year’s theme is “Women Who Tell Our Stories” to celebrate how women of all cultures have provided both healing and hope throughout history, including caregivers and frontline workers during the pandemic. Immediately following the flag raising and proclamation, join us for DIY activities in Student Center, Room 411! Get All the Details!
You Are the Future
Are you a student leader on campus or work in a department that creates opportunities for students outside of the classroom such as student activities, greek life, campus recreation, commuter life, social justice or residence life? Maybe you haven’t had the chance to get involved yet, but want to learn more about what it would mean to work in “Student Affairs” one day? Apply by Friday, March 24 to be in the very first cohort of Future Student Affairs Professionals, beginning Fall 2023. Learn More!
Myths and Realities of Harm Reduction
New Jersey lost nearly three thousand people to preventable drug overdoses in 2022. Harm reduction, a set of practical strategies and ideas aimed at reducing negative consequences associated with drug use, can help us save lives. Join a panel of experts on Thursday, March 2, 1-3 p.m., Feliciano School of Business, Room 101, to learn about harm reduction strategies and their potential for helping people who use drugs to stay alive. RSVP to Attend this Important Event.
Grad Open House Exclusively for You!
Come to our very first in-person grad school open house on Wednesday, March 22, 12-2 p.m., Student Center, Ballroom A. This event is designed specifically for our current Montclair State University undergraduate students and there has never been a better time to learn about the graduate programs we offer here at the University. You’ll have the opportunity to hear from faculty and graduate admissions representatives and can also learn about the programs and certifications aimed to elevate your tomorrow! Register Now!
Broadway with CSI
Need Spring Break plans? The Center for Student Involvement is going to Broadway! Come see the Tony award winning Broadway musical, Six, on Monday, March 6. Transportation will be provided and the bus leaves from the Red Hawk Deck at 5 p.m. Tickets are on sale now, only $30.00 with a Montclair ID! It’s Showtime!
Rocky on the Street!
What’s going on Montclair!? Rocky and Dena are getting ready for Spring Break next week, are you? Let’s see if any Red Hawks are planning on visiting Cancun, the most visited place for Spring Break, or unwinding and recharging at home! Watch Now!
Payment Plan Deadline
Still need to pay your bill? Thursday, March 9 is the deadline to sign up for the 4-installment payment plan option! Learn More about Your Options.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- Mindfulness Meditation: Monday, February 27, 12-12:30 p.m., Online.
- Rethinking Drinking: Monday, February 27, 12-2 p.m., Student Center, 2nd Floor Lobby.
- Soccer Open Play: Tuesday, February 28, 3-5 p.m., Student Recreation Center, Gym.
- Rec Nights – Essential Oils: Tuesday, February 28, 7-9 p.m., Student Recreation Center, Lounge.
- Safer Spring Break: Wednesday, March 1, 1-3 p.m., Sprague Library.
- SLAM Cinemas – Everything Everywhere All at Once: Wednesday, March 1, 1:30-4 p.m., Student Center, Ballrooms.
- Ramadan Festival: Wednesday, March 1, 3:30-5 p.m., University Hall, Room 3002.
- “What Does It Mean To Do Good?” – Philosophy for Lunch: Thursday, March 2, 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Schmitt Hall, Room 104.
- Staycation: Thursday, March 2, 12-2 p.m., Student Center, 2nd Floor Lobby.
- Self Defense Class: Thursday, March 2, 5:30-7 p.m., George Segal Gallery.
- Trick Question Kahoot/Trivia: Thursday, March 2, 8-9 p.m., Student Center, Rathskeller.
- Baseball vs Trinity: Saturday, March 4, 1-3:30 p.m., Yogi Berra Stadium.
- Men’s Lacrosse vs McDaniel: Sunday, March 5, 12-2 p.m., Sprague Field.
- Knicks vs Hornets Game: Tuesday, March 7, 3-10 p.m., Bus leaves from the Student Recreation Center.
- Funny Girl Musical on Broadway: Wednesday, March 8, 12-6 p.m., Bus leaves from the Student Recreation Center.
- Women’s Lacrosse vs Misericordia: Saturday, March 11, 12-2 p.m., Sprague Field.
- Conversations in Feminism: Monday, March 13, 4-5 p.m., University Hall, Room 1120.
Important Reminders and Resources
- Registration Is One Month Away: Check registration times and be sure to look at the course schedule which opens on Tuesday, March 14 to be ready for registration for both fall 2023 and winter 2024 on Thursday, March 30!
- Want Live Entertainment?: Student Life At Montclair (SLAM) is conducting a survey to get your feedback on what type of live entertainment you would like to see on campus!
- Summer Session Registration Currently Available: Registration is now open! Did you know, you can actually complete 12 credits, a full-time load, this summer without overlapping any of your courses?
- Get Academic Support: CAST Academic Support is excited for the spring semester! Tutoring, Academic Coaching and Supplemental Instruction schedules are now live for students in Navigate.
- Bookstore Discount: Did you know you can get 10% off all regularly priced items at the University Bookstore every Friday if you wear something Montclair?! That’s right! Show your Red Hawk Pride every Friday!
- What’s Open?: Make sure you are aware of this handy website that tells you what’s open right now, what’s opening in the next 30 minutes or closing in the next 30 minutes!
Dates and Deadlines
- Study Away Opportunity: Check out details for Montclair in Sicily: Culture and Sustainability, a faculty-led 2-week study abroad program based in Taormina, Sicily or Montclair in Italy – Archaeology Field School at Villa of the Antonines, a month long program 18 miles from Rome! Deadline to apply is Tuesday, February 28.
- Mental Health First Aid Training: Deadline to apply is Tuesday, February 28. Training held on Tuesday, March 7.
- Student Research Symposium: You’re invited to participate in this year’s university-wide Student Research Symposium on Wednesday, April 26! Abstract submission is open until Monday, March 13.
- Important Dates: Never miss a deadline with this website.