How to Find that Killer Internship or Dream Job!
Earlier this month, Montclair State University students Jeff Yumbla, Katarina Rodriguez, Richard Steiner-Otoo and Vincent Gollotto spoke with our Communications and Marketing Team about their professional experiences and strategies for landing extraordinary experiential education opportunities. They shared how they got these opportunities and what they learned throughout the process.
Their experiences were diverse: from traveling to Germany to photograph the Red Hawks men’s soccer team, interning with the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, working on a research vessel in Hawaii and studying protein found in the influenza virus at UC San Diego.
“It’s one thing to be in the classroom and learning about managerial accounting and business communications. It’s another to actively apply those lessons and see how they play out in the current environment.” – Katarina Rodriguez a senior Business Administration major.
- Internships are more accessible than you may think.
- Fellowships and internships help you develop new skills and discover professional development opportunities.
- More than 7,000 employers are approved to recruit Montclair students and alumni on Handshake.
- Career advisors provide one-on-one career counseling to students at all levels.
- Career fairs match students with employers who are hiring.
- Staying organized and diligent will help you succeed in your search.
Read the Full Article written by staff writer Marilyn Joyce Lehren.
Coming Up: Career and Internship Fair
Join us next week for the chance to connect with over 50 employers hiring for full-time jobs and internships.
- Wednesday, October 4, 1-4:30 p.m.
- University Hall, 7th Floor Conference Center
- Bring copies of your resume and University ID
- All grade levels welcome, it’s never too early to connect and network
- Register on Handshake!
Want to prepare before the fair? We’ve got you covered with two career fair prep workshops.
- Professional Writing Workshop: Resumes & Cover Letters
Monday, October 2, 11 a.m. – 12 p.m. Dickson Hall, Room 178. In this workshop, we will take a deep dive to explore how to create a professional resume and cover letter. Come learn how to make your resume and cover letter stand out in the crowd!
- How to Impress Employers (Elevator Pitch & Interview Workshop)
Tuesday, October 3, 1-2 p.m. Dickson Hall, Room 178. In this workshop, we will discuss how to craft your own elevator pitch, discuss your experience, qualifications and impress employers.
Connect with Industry Professionals this Week!
Join University College this week for their Major & Career Exploration Talks: Your Path to Discovery series for an engaging panel discussion to learn from and connect with industry professionals across the state.
There are two panels focused on highlighting different industries to help you explore your options, learn more about pathways for your major(s) and begin networking with different fields.
- Exploring Health, Wellness, Advocacy, Non-Profit and Social Justice:
Tuesday, September 26, 12:30-2 p.m., Student Center, Ballrooms
- Exploring Business, Finance, Creativity and the Arts:
Thursday, September 28, 12:30-2 p.m., Student Center, Ballrooms
Jobs and Internships in Handshake
Check out these opportunities from some of our Career Fair Employers!
- Aquarist Intern – Absolutely Fish
- ATC INTERNSHIP at 360 Medical Consulting
- Administrative Fellowship Program (FT-Edison) at Hackensack Meridian Health
- Residential Youth Counselor at Bonnie Brae
- Summer 2024 Technology Internship – Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies
- Field Sales and Marketing Representative Intern at Techtronic Industries
- School Age Child Care Counselor (Morning Care) at YMCA of Montclair
- Teacher – State of New Jersey – Juvenile Justice Commission
- Software Developer – CGI
- Care Manager at Coordinated Family Care
Your Feedback Matters!
We need your feedback. Take our brief career services survey in Handshake and enter to possibly win an Amazon gift card! Your opinion matters and we value each and every response!