Applying to the Public and Organizational Relations Program
If you are a rising or mid-career communication professional, our MA in Public and Organizational Relations program is specifically designed for you. This program will help you develop competencies vital for today’s digital age.
Graduate Program Coordinator
Dr. Yi Luo
Applications to the program are reviewed on a rolling admissions basis.
Part One: Submit an application to the Graduate School that includes the following:
- Essay Explain why you are pursuing an MA in Public & Organizational Relations. Specifically describe how you think the MA in Public & Organizational Relations can help you enhance your competencies in the following four areas emphasized in the program: Strategic Thinking, Communication Skills, Media Savviness, and Leadership Skills. Considering your personal characteristics and life experiences, clarify what you are likely to contribute to this learning community. Use this opportunity to address anything about yourself that the faculty should know—things that might not be included in your formal application materials, but which will help to familiarize yourself to us.
- Evidence of completion of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)Your GRE scores must reflect a minimum of 147 for each section. You may request to have your test scores reported electronically to Montclair State University (institutional code for reporting GRE scores: 2520). The GRE requirement is waived for applicants with a Master of Arts or Master of Science degree. The GRE is also waived for applicants who earned at least a 3.0 GPA in a U.S.-based institution in their undergraduate programs of study.
- A current resume
- Letters of recommendation A minimum of two letters of recommendation from academic sources (former professors, academic advisors).
Note: Applicants who have been out of an educational environment for a lengthy period may submit letters from alternative professional sources.
Part Two: On-Campus Interview
Following completion of the application and submission of the above materials, applicants must contact the Graduate Program Coordinator (Dr. Yi Luo) to arrange for an on-campus interview (Note: If distance is prohibitive, the interview can be mediated via Skype or telephone.)
You may bring additional materials to the interview:
- Sample of scholarly writing from an upper-level undergraduate course in the social sciences or humanities
- Portfolio of professional written and/or visual materials
Decision Notification Timeline
Following the on-campus appointment, the School of Communication and Media will notify you of the decision regarding your acceptance into the Public & Organizational Relations program within 10 days. The status of your overall admission to Montclair State University will subsequently be communicated by The Graduate School.
Additional Information Sources for Prospective Students
We encourage all applicants and prospective students to visit the campus to learn more about our programs. Please visit the College of the Arts’ Office of Student Services and University – Campus Visitation web pages for useful information about additional campus visit and Open House opportunities.