Montclair State University requires all undergraduate students enrolled in twelve (12) or more credits and graduate students enrolled in nine (9) or more credits are automatically enrolled in the Aetna Student Health insurance plan. To opt-out, a waiver must be completed by the waiver deadline of Monday, September 28, 2020.
The waiver/enrollment website officially opens the week of July 20, 2020.
Aetna Student Health Plan Vs. Your Private Plan
If you meet the mandated criteria for full-time status, you are automatically enrolled in the Aetna Student Health Plan. But you can waive it!
Remember: All Students Must Either:
- Waive the Aetna Student Health Plan and use your own comparable personal plan OR
- Pay for the Aetna Student Health Plan
Fall 2020 Aetna Insurance Premium
(Coverage Valid Wednesday, August 15, 2020 – Wednesday, August 14, 2021)
- Undergraduate Students: $1,977.00
- Graduate Students: $4,797.00
Important Things to Remember
- You are automatically enrolled in the Aetna Student Health Plan and will be billed for this coverage in your NEST Student Account statement.
- You have the opportunity to waive/opt out of this coverage by completing a waiver online at: aetnastudenthealth.com
- A waiver must be completed by the waiver deadline of Monday, September 28, 2020 as established by the University. The deadline is firm and cannot be extended.
- Late waivers will not be accepted.
- Insurance information provided to the Office of Student Accounts, the University Health Center or any other department at Montclair State University, does not constitute a waiver.
If you Don’t Waive…You Must Pay!
If you already have health insurance coverage through your family, spouse or employer, you may opt to waive the Aetna Health Student Plan. View Instructions on How to Waive Health Insurance.
Remember: Waiver Deadline Is Monday, September 28, 2020
After You Have Waived…
- You will receive an email confirmation from Aetna Student Health notifying you of receipt of your waiver.
- If your waiver was APPROVED, a health insurance waiver will be applied to your NEST account within three-to-five business days. The Health Insurance fee is not removed. You may opt to pay your student bill and exclude the health insurance charge after a waiver has been completed and approved.
- If your waiver was NOT APPROVED, you will receive an email from Aetna Student Health with the reason(s) why your waiver was not approved and steps to complete.
- It is your responsibility to resolve the matter directly with Aetna Student Health.
When Do I Get an Insurance Card?
If you choose to remain enrolled in the Aetna Student Health Plan, you will have access to an insurance card after the waiver/enrollment deadline of Monday, September 28, 2020.
Students are encouraged to print their Aetna medical insurance card online or access your digital ID card on the Aetna HealthSM app, as Aetna is no longer issuing or mailing plastic or paper member ID cards.
- View 2020–2021 Montclair State University Summary of Benefits and Coverage.
- View 2020–2021 Plan Design and Benefits Summary: Plan-specific information on services the plan covers, deductibles, premium rates, enrollment and waiver deadline dates, plan limitations and more.
Need a Card Earlier?
If you need an insurance card before Monday, September 28, you must enroll online. Self-enrolling in the coverage will allow access to an insurance card for use within 24-48 hours.
For more information regarding the Aetna Student Health Plan, please visit the Red Hawk Central Health Insurance web page.
For questions regarding the Aetna Student Health Plan, please visit the Aetna website and select Montclair State University or call 800-481-8814.