Frequently Asked Questions
Below are general, frequently asked questions for faculty, staff and students. Additional answers to common Canvas questions can be found on the Canvas Guides website at http://guides.instructure.com/m/4152
- What is Canvas?
- When will Canvas be available?
- How do I access Canvas?
- What training resources are available to Students?
- What training resources are available to Faculty/Staff?
- How do I get help with Canvas?
- What documentation is available?
- Where can I get training for Canvas?
- How do I find my Canvas classes?
- Does Canvas support the Community feature?
- How do I transfer my courses from Blackboard to Canvas?
- What browsers are compatible with Canvas?
- Does Canvas work on mobile phones and ipads?
- How does Canvas work with NJVid?
Canvas is the new Learning Management System (LMS) selected to replace the Blackboard LMS for the University, by August 2014. Below are a few preview videos made available by Canvas Instructure.
- Change is Good
- Preview of Instructure Canvas - Part 1
- Preview of Instructure Canvas - Part 2
- Introduction to Canvas
While Canvas is scheduled to replace the Blackboard LMS by Fall 2014, a group of 24 early adopter faculty members across all Colleges/Schools on campus, taught their Fall 2013 courses in Canvas. Many more are teaching their Spring 2014 courses in canvas. This is part of an ongoing effort to run both Blackboard and Canvas parallel to one another, as we slowly transition to using only Canvas in Fall 2014.
We encourage you to sign up to become a Canvas early adopter! If you are interested in becoming an early adopter for this Summer 2014, please submit your request via our Canvas Early Adopter Request Form.
You will need your NetID and password to access courses on Canvas. You may access Canvas by visiting https://montclair.instructure.com/
We now have Canvas, self-paced training resources for students. Click on the available links below.
- Student Canvas Orientation Course
- Student Canvas Webinars (Coming soon)
- Recorded Canvas Orientation for Students (Coming soon)
- Canvas Guides for Students
In order to assist Faculty/Staff with this LMS transition, Canvas training classes have been created and are being offered in multiple sections (started Fall13). In addition, we now offer Canvas evening training classes and Private group training for individual departments/programs.
Take a look at the following four Canvas training classes. "Mouse over" to see more info on each course. Please register here.
- Sneak Peek at Canvas (Offered both face-to-face & Online. Evening classes available)
- Introduction to Canvas (Offered both face to-face & Online. Evening classes available)
- Facilitating Interaction In Canvas (Offered both face-to-face & Online. Evening classes available)
- Designing Assessments in Canvas (Offered both face-to-face & Online. Evening classes available)
- Importing Blackboard Course content into Canvas
- Building Canvas Communities
Below are Canvas Self-paced Training Resources
- Canvas overview (Pre-recorded)
- Faculty Canvas Orientation Course
- Course Transfer Guides
- Canvas Guides for instructors
Once logged into the Canvas LMS, click the "help" link on the top right, to access support and documentation:
- Search the Canvas Guides
- Report a Problem
- Open a Help Desk ticket
- Chat with Canvas Support
- Access the Canvas Support line
- Ask the Canvas Community
Canvas has a host of guides and tutorials available. Please visit the User Guides and Support section.
We are now offering Canvas training! Please visit the Canvas Training section to register for a class.
You may access your courses at the MSU Canvas website by visiting https://montclair.instructure.com/ and logging in using your NetID and password.
Faculty: All your assigned courses will be listed in Canvas once you log in.
Students: All courses you are registered for will be accessible to you once the courses are published by your instructor.
Yes! Sign up for a Canvas training class to find out more on how to work with communities in Canvas. Please visit the Canvas Training section to register for a class.
Blackboard and Canvas are two entirely different Learning Management Systems. It is recommended that you create your course from scratch. However, your Blackboard course files, assignments and quizzes/tests can be transfered to Canvas by using the following steps:
- Archive your Blackboard course/s and download it to your computer's local drive
- Go to your Canvas course and do the following:
- Click "Settings" then "import course content into this course"
- In the "Content Type", choose "Blackboard 6/7/8/9 export.zip file"
- Next, upload your archived Blackboard course
- Select "Select migration content" under OPTIONS
- You may then select only the course files, assignments and quizzes/tests
Please sign up for a Canvas training class so that we may assist you appropriately.
Visit the Canvas Training section to register for a class.
Canvas Instructure maintains a list of supported browsers available at: http://guides.instructure.com/s/2204/m/4214/l/41056-which-browsers-does-canvas-support.
You may access your Canvas courses via the Canvas App. or web browser on your device. Canvas Instructure provides up to date information on how to access and use the Canvas App on mobile phones, iPads and other devices.
Please visit the following links to find out more about your device:
We now have documentation available to you to successfully share your audio/video files in NJVid with students in your Canvas courses. Download a copy here: MSU MyMedia (NJVid) and Canvas