Frequently Asked Questions
Below are general, frequently asked questions for faculty, staff and students. Additional answers to common Canvas questions can be found on the Canvas Guides website at http://guides.instructure.com/m/4152
- What is Canvas?
- When will Canvas be available?
- How do I access Canvas?
- How do I get help with Canvas?
- What documentation is available?
- Where can I get training for Canvas?
- How do I find my Canvas classes?
- Does Canvas support the Community feature?
- How do I transfer my courses from Blackboard to Canvas?
- What browsers are compatible with Canvas?
- Does Canvas work on mobile phones and ipads?
Canvas is the new Learning Management System (LMS) selected to replace the Blackboard LMS for the University, by August 2014. Below are a few preview videos made available by Canvas Instructure.
- Change is Good
- Preview of Instructure Canvas - Part 1
- Preview of Instructure Canvas - Part 2
- Introduction to Canvas
While Canvas is scheduled to replace the Blackboard LMS by Fall 2014, a group of 24 faculty members, as early adopters, are currently using Canvas to teach their Fall 2013 courses. Canvas is available to faculty who would like to use it as early adopters.
We encourage you to sign up to become a Canvas early adopter! If you are interested in becoming an early adopter for this Winter 2014, Spring 2014 or Summer 2014, please submit your request via our Canvas Early Adopter Request Form.
You will need your NetID and password to access courses on Canvas. You may access Canvas by visiting https://montclair.instructure.com/
Once logged into the Canvas LMS, click the "help" link on the top right, to access support and documentation:
- Search the Canvas Guides
- Report a Problem
- Open a Help Desk ticket
- Chat with Canvas Support
- Access the Canvas Support line
- Ask the Canvas Community
Canvas has a host of guides and tutorials available. Please visit the Canvas User Guides section.
We are now offering Canvas training! Please visit the Canvas Training section to register for a class.
Faculty: All your assigned courses will be listed in Canvas once you log in.
Students: All courses you are registered for will be accessible to you once the courses are published by your instructor.
Yes! Sign up for a Canvas training class to find out more on how to work with communities in Canvas. Please visit the Canvas Training section to register for a class.
Blackboard and Canvas are two entirely different Learning Management Systems. It is recommended that you create your course from scratch. However, your Blackboard course files, assignments and quizzes/tests can be transfered to Canvas by using the following steps:
- Archive your Blackboard course/s and download it to your computer's local drive
- Go to your Canvas course and do the following:
- Click "Settings" then "import course content into this course"
- In the "Content Type", choose "Blackboard 6/7/8/9 export.zip file"
- Next, upload your archived Blackboard course
- Select "Select migration content" under OPTIONS
- You may then select only the course files, assignments and quizzes/tests
Please sign up for a Canvas training class so that we may assist you appropriately.
Visit the Canvas Training section to register for a class.
Canvas Instructure maintains a list of supported browsers available at: http://guides.instructure.com/s/2204/m/4214/l/41056-which-browsers-does-canvas-support.
You may access your Canvas courses via the Canvas App. or web browser on your device. Canvas Instructure provides up to date information on how to access and use the Canvas App on mobile phones, iPads and other devices.
Please visit the following links to find out more about your device: