Frequently Asked Questions
Below are general, frequently asked questions for faculty, staff and students. Additional answers to common Canvas questions can be found on the Canvas Guides website at http://guides.instructure.com/m/4152
- What is Canvas?
- How do I access Canvas?
- What training resources are available to Students?
- What training resources are available to Faculty/Staff?
- How do I get help with Canvas?
- What documentation is available?
- Where can I get training for Canvas?
- How do I find my Canvas classes?
- Does Canvas support the Community feature?
- What browsers are compatible with Canvas?
- Does Canvas work on mobile phones and ipads?
- How does Canvas work with NJVid?
Canvas is the University's Learning Management System (LMS). Below are a few overview videos made available by Canvas Instructure.
You will need your NetID and password to access courses on Canvas. You may access Canvas by visiting https://montclair.instructure.com/
We have Canvas, self-paced training resources for students. Click on the available links below.
- MSU Student Canvas Orientation Course
- Canvas Guides for Students
- MSU Canvas Orientation for Students (pre-recorded)
- Canvas Guides for Students
- Canvas Student Video Guides
In order to assist Faculty/Staff with Canvas, we offer Canvas training classes in multiple sections. In addition, we offer Canvas evening training classes and Private group training for individual departments/programs.
Take a look at the following Canvas training classes.Click to see more information and to register for training. Please register here.
- Introduction to Canvas (Now offering evening and online classes) –2hrs
- Facilitating Interaction In Canvas –2hrs
- Designing Assessments in Canvas –2hrs
- Canvas: Web Conferencing Online –1hrs
- Grading Rubrics and Learning Outcomes in Canvas –1hr
- Creating Tests & Quizzes in Canvas - 1hr
- How to Design an Accessible Canvas Course - 1hr
- Canvas Commons - 1hr
Below are Canvas Self-paced Training Resources
- MSU Faculty Canvas Orientation Course
- MSU Canvas Overview (Pre-recorded)
- MSU Canvas Mini Guides
- Canvas Guides for instructors
- Canvas Instructor Video Guides
- Canvas Polls App for Mobile Devices
- Request a copy of the MSU Canvas course template here
- Guides by Canvas:
Once logged into Canvas, click the "help" link on the bottom left, to access support and documentation:
- Live Chat
- Submit a Feature Idea
- Ask Your Instructor a Question
- Search the Canvas Guides
- Report a Problem
- Canvas Support Hotline
Canvas has a host of guides and tutorials available. Please visit the Canvas Guides.
Attend a Canvas training workshop! Please visit the ITDS registration site to search and register for a class.
You may access your courses at the MSU Canvas website by visiting https://montclair.instructure.com/ and logging in using your NetID and password.
Faculty: All your assigned courses will be listed in Canvas once you log in.
Students: All courses you are registered for will be accessible to you once the courses are published by your instructor.
Yes! Sign up for a Canvas training class to find out more on how to work with communities in Canvas. Please visit the ITDS registration site to register for a class.
Canvas Instructure maintains a list of supported browsers. Visit the Canvas Guides for a listing.
You may access your Canvas courses via the Canvas App. or web browser on your device. Canvas Instructure provides up to date information on how to access and use the Canvas App on mobile phones, iPads and other devices.
Please visit the following links to find out more about your device:
We have documentation available to help you successfully share your audio/video files in NJVid with students in your Canvas courses. Download a copy here: NJVID: Upload and Share Videos in CanvasMSU MyMedia (NJVid) and Canvas