Information for Graduate and Undergraduate students

Graduation Requirements and Information

Commencement and Diploma

 Final Audit for Graduation/Certification

Academic Information: Courses of Study and Faculty

Audit Policy

Cancellation of Courses and Staffing

Independent Study

Prerequisite Courses:

Course Overlap

Faculty Office Hours

Final Examinations

Grade Point Average (GPA)
The GPA is determined by dividing the total quality points earned by the total number of quality hours. Method:
1. Determine the arithmetic value for each letter grade (see above).
2. Multiply the credit hours for each course by the arithmetic value for the letter grade to obtain the quality points.
3. Total all quality hours at Montclair State University.
4. Total all quality points earned at Montclair State.
5. Divide the total quality points by the total quality hours to find cumulative average (GPA).

3 credit hours in course with grade of C (2) = 6 quality points
3 credit hours in course with grade of B (3) = 9 quality points
4 credit hours in course with grade of A (4) = 16 quality points
2 credit hours in course with grade of B (3) = 6 quality points

Transfer credits and grades of P, IN, AU, NC, RD-, RD, RD+ and RF (repeat) are not included in the calculation of grade point average.

Incomplete Work
The grade "IN" is intended to indicate that the student has not completed the course and that a grade is being withheld until the work is performed and approved. Students must enter into a formal contract with the faculty prior to the end of the semester. The "IN," if not replaced with a final grade by Feb. 15 for fall incomplete's, June 30 for spring and Oct. 15 for summer, will become a grade of "F." Exceptions can be granted only upon petition to the appropriate College or School Dean. Students are not permitted to "sit in" a class in a subsequent term as part of the contract for replacing the "IN" grade.

Independent Study

Prerequisite Courses
It is the student's responsibility to satisfactorily complete a prerequisite course before scheduling a dependent course.

Storm Closings

Study Abroad/International Summer Institutes
Location: Global Education Center
Phone: (973) 655-4483 (study abroad)
(973) 655-4185 (summer institutes)

Study Abroad

International Summer Institutes

Summer and Winter Sessions

Visiting Students

Withdrawal from Courses

Enrollment/Admission Procedures and Information

Change of name and/or address
It is the student's responsibility to notify the Office of the Registrar of a name and/or address change. A name change must be accompanied by a copy of the document which legalizes the name, such as a marriage certificate, a divorce decree which indicates the maiden name, a court order, or a naturalization document which specifies a change of name. Forms for changing a name and/or address are available in the Office of the Registrar, College Hall - Room 204 or online at:

All name change requests must be in writing. To update your address through WESS, log on to Upon successful entry, under Personal Information, click on Addresses.

Enrollment Verification

Registration/Web Enrollment Services for Students (WESS)


Students may log in to WESS at (from Quick Links, select WESS) and use their Student ID number and their six digit PIN number to gain access to the services offered. Students may utilize WESS to register for courses, check their grades for all the semesters they have completed, check their personal information, add/drop courses, and analyze their academic progress.

It is the student's responsibility to satisfactorily complete any pre-requisite courses before scheduling a dependent course.


Tuition and Fees

Undergraduates enrolled in Graduate courses