Students in Need: Connecting to Campus Partners

Sometimes students need more than what an instructor can provide.

Professional staff partners are here to help, though sometimes it’s hard to know where to refer your students.  Whether it’s an academic issue, a psychological issue, a life issue, or something you’re just not able to label, make referrals through conversation with your students or through one of the tools the University provides, as described below.

A full list of student resources is embedded in the syllabus of your Canvas course. Draw your students’ attention to these resources and help them see their value.

Academic Partners


Navigate is an essential tool in the University’s efforts to support student success. Managed by the Office for Undergraduate Education, Navigate is used by every advisor to track, check on, and support undergraduate students. 

Every semester you will receive periodic requests from the Provost’s office to use the Navigate platform to report on students’ progress. The University advisors depend on instructors to follow through with these requests.

In addition, outside of required reporting periods, you can use Navigate to:

  • Issue a warning 
  • Message students directly 
  • Reach out to students’ advisors — most students have a few advisors, including potentially an academic major advisor, a college or school advisor, and possibly a special program (EOF, health careers, athletic, etc) advisor. 

Through Navigate instructors can review the progress of students in their class and, if they serve as advisors, their advisees.

Note: Navigate is not the tool if go to if there is a classroom emergency or you are concerned about a student’s well-being. For concerns about safety or a classroom emergency, call the Campus Police at 973-655-5222.

Center for Academic Success and Tutoring (CAST)

CAST is the primary source of academic support for students. CAST hires student and professional tutors who have expertise in most disciplines offered on campus. Instructors interact with CAST through three primary means:

  • By sending students to support from CAST informally, through class-wide communications, or by making recommendations to students individually.
  • By referring students to CAST by a Navigate referral that prompts CAST to reach out to students directly.
  • By collaborating with CAST on providing an organized program of supplemental instruction to students who are enrolled in courses that are especially hard for students. If your course does not include supplemental instruction and you think it should, discuss the matter with colleagues and then set up an appointment with CAST leadership to see what can be arranged.

See more of what CAST does by reviewing the CAST website.

Center for Writing Excellence (CWE)

The Center for Writing Excellence (CWE) is the main support service  on campus to help students to develop and improve as writers.  Sessions with experienced writing consultants are designed to provide help on every aspect of the writing process, with the goal of enabling writers to achieve long-term improvement, confidence, and independence.

Conferences generally last 25 minutes and are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Appointments can also be scheduled in advance, and we offer online consultations with chat or Zoom options in addition to face-to-face sessions.  To schedule an appointment, visit  Longer appointments are available for graduate students, multilingual writers, students with disabilities, and faculty.  All sessions are confidential.

Specifically, writing consultants can help students with:

  • Getting started: Understanding the writing task and generating ideas
  • Drafting: Developing a focus and an argument, selecting appropriate evidence, and organizing their ideas
  • Revising: Choosing strategies to improve drafts
  • Polishing: Learning to edit their own writing

The Digital Dashboard helps students and instructors learn asynchronously. Workshops on specific topics are offered throughout the academic year.

The CWE also serves faculty, staff, and alumni with their writing needs, and faculty can request a presentation from a CWE consultant to help students understand our services.

The Disability Resource Center (DRC)

The DRC assists students in receiving the accommodations and services necessary to equalize access. The DRC provides assistance to students with physical, sensory, learning, psychological, neurological, and chronic medical disabilities. The mission of the DRC is to provide students with disabilities the excellence and equity in education to which they are legally entitled.

Instructors will interact with the DRC in a few ways:

  • Students will provide instructors a letter from the DRC documenting accommodations.       
  • The DRC provides faculty resources. The DRC staff can consult with instructors who want help in providing accommodations or thinking about how to talk with a student an instructor believes may benefit from DRC services.  

Reference and Research Librarians

Our research librarians are partners in instruction.

  • Send students to librarians for 1-1 support. The Reference Desk is open for drop-ins, chats, and also appointments. If a student is struggling with an assignment or seems to be totally bewildered as to how to begin to complete a research task, require your student to have a 1-1 appointment, online or in-person.
  • Arrange for instruction for the whole class — this works best when you meet with your assigned librarian in advance to cater the experience to your students’ needs and your assignment.
  • Get help in developing research assignments and building out the content of their course from our librarians who are able to meet 1-1 with instructors as well as students.
Mental Health Partners

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)

CAPS services are free, voluntary, confidential and available to all Montclair State students. Though a brief wait for services might occur at busier times of the year, the urgency of need is always taken into consideration when scheduling an appointment. Students are typically seen for an average of six individual sessions. In some cases, after an initial appointment, a referral will be made to an off-campus agency or private practitioner. This would most likely be the case if the student’s needs can be better met off-campus, or if longer-term services are deemed more appropriate. Additionally, CAPS offers short-term consultations and referrals for faculty and staff.

In addition to individual therapy options, CAPS offers:

  • Let’s Talk — informal, confidential one-on-one consultations with CAPS counselors both in person and via Zoom
  • Therapy Groups — CAPS staff run many groups every semester focused on populations, concerns, and interests
  • TAO Connect — Therapy Assistance Online
  • Self-Help Screenings –to see if you might benefit from CAPS help

Instructors can also reach out to CAPS to discuss concerns they may have about individual students.  CAPS counselors recognize the critical role that faculty play in observing students in distress and helping students take the first steps toward getting help.

A final note: In case of emergency during non-business hours, call University Police at 973-655-5222 if on campus. After business hours, you may also call the CAPS front desk at 973-655-5211 and select option “2” to be immediately connected to a licensed mental health clinician.

Student Life Partners

Dean of Students

When You Don’t Know Where to Turn

The Care Team

The CARE Team, managed by the Dean of Students, pulls together support offices from across domains to individually address problems for students that faculty and others report to the CARE team.

When you don’t know whom to contact, and you are not concerned about anyone’s safety (which is when you call the police) you can contact the CARE team to complete a student of concern form regarding any concerns you have about students. The digital form lists a wide range of ways in which you might be concerned about students. These include concerns about academic issues, bias, behavior, family well-being, finances, food insecurity, mental health, social adjustment, and well-being.

Get Trained in Recognizing and Responding to Students At-Risk

This 45-minute online training trains faculty and staff in recognizing students at risk and gives practical advice on how to talk to and refer students for CAPS counseling.  The University has a license for all Montclair faculty and staff to take this course, and the feedback thus far has been very strong.

  • Kognito At-Risk Training: Create a new account and use enrollment key montclair973
    • Did you know nearly 40% of college students have symptoms of depression that impact their academic performance?
    • This At-Risk Training will help you build the confidence to talk with a student who you are concerned about.

Students in Academic Need: Who Does What to Help Our Students

Faculty are not alone: Supporting students academically is a University-wide endeavor, and there are many offices on campus dedicated to student success. However, most students need an individual suggestion, a referral or simply more awareness of the services that support the teaching and learning enterprise. In the recorded session below, representatives from the Center for Academic Success and Tutoring (CAST), The Center for Writing Excellence (CWE), Advising (Undergradute Education), the Disability Resource Center and the Sprague Library’s reference and research departments will overview their work and answer faculty questions.



1.13.23 EJI