Informational Stand, Meeting with Majors and Minors and Award Ceremony
Wednesday, September 14, 2016
Student Center Quad – 11 am-2pm
Schmitt Hall 104 – 5:30-7pm
The Italian Program in the Department of Spanish and Italian and the Inserra Chair in Italian and Italian American Studies are pleased to extend an invitation to all students to attend our first Italian Open Day, which consists of a variety of events, including an information session, a meeting with presentations, and an award ceremony. The event focuses on the relevance of studying Italian in our globalized world and highlights the rich offerings of the Italian Program at MSU: curriculum, internships, study abroad, scholarships, cultural enrichment, contests, etc.
To talk to current Italian majors, minors, and faculty about our program and learn how to add Italian flavor to your major, join us at the informational stand on the university quad from 11am to 2pm. Materials about the Italian Program and the study of the Italian language and culture at large will be distributed to interested students along with a delicious Italian dessert courtesy of Bindi North America, Inc.
To learn about the future direction of the program, attend the evening meeting (5:30 to 7pm) in Schmitt Hall 104 which will comprise a series of presentations by faculty and students about both recent and planned projects related to Italian language and culture. More Bindi desserts will be distributed after the program.
The Award Ceremony for the Your Metaphor for Learning Italianstudent contest will close the evening by celebrating a book that represents a must-read for students of Italian while also honoring the creativity that the book inspired in our students. Prizes consist of a free copy of Lahiri’s book, with a personal dedication by Jhumpa Lahiri herself, and books that have been generously donated by
PROGRAM (5:30pm Meeting):
- Enza Antenos-Conforti, Deputy Chair: Introductory remarks: “An Overview on the Italian Program and Student Opportunities (Scholarships and Internships)”
- Marisa Trubiano, Associate Professor, and Giulia Bertoli, Major in Italian: “New Curricular Directions: Translation”
- Teresa Fiore, Inserra Chair: “Cultural Programs and Student Contests”
- Teresa Fiore and Dominique Aponte, Amici Italia Club, President: “The Amici Club and Its Activities”
- Enza Antenos-Conforti and Emilia D’Albero, Alumna Class 2015: “New curricular directions: Business and Italian – Working in the Food Industry with a BA in Italian”
- Enza Antenos with Stephanie Rodriguez, Minor in Italian, and Darriel Vasquez, Major in Italian: “Study Abroad Programs”
- Teresa Fiore: Student Contest Award Ceremony with Winners and Patti Grunther, Jury Member
- Spearheaded and sponsored by the Inserra Chair, co-organized with the Italian Program in the Department of Spanish and Italian, in collaboration with the Amici Italian Club at Montclair State University, and with the support of
For events on similar topics, click here