Maximize Your Summer Break
Job Opportunities on Handshake, Career Readiness Tools … more!
Posted in: Announcements, Career, Featured News
Register for Career Counseling in Handshake
Connect now with the career services office in your college! Your designated career team is here to help you at all stages of your career development, including offering resume critiques, interview techniques, help with co-ops and internships, as well as job search strategies.
Upload Your Resume for Review
Because no one knows you as well as you know yourself – your goals, your accomplishments, your strengths – no one can write an effective resume and cover letter for you but you. You must be comfortable with every word in your resume and be able to speak easily about whatever you write. Upload your draft resume in Handshake and receive customized feedback to ensure you are highlighting all of your strengths and accomplishments!
Begin your Job Search
Don’t go at it alone; use our step-by-step Handshake guide to set-up your search and receive personalized suggestions. You can even set alerts and receive notifications. Your Career Advisor is also here to help you, so don’t hesitate to book an appointment!
Complete a Micro-Internship Program
Stressing about summer internship plans, or lack thereof? Not to worry! Micro-Internships allow you to explore different roles, gain professional experience and earn extra income. New projects are being posted all the time and summer is typically one of the busiest times of the year. Check out short-term, paid and professional projects that fit your schedule! Register and Start Applying Here!
Attend Career Events and Workshops
Be sure to check Handshake and Engage regularly as we are always adding events and workshops! You can view all upcoming events that are available to the Montclair State University community by clicking on Events in the upper-left corner in Handshake.
Explore Graduate School
Graduate school is not just a continuation of your undergraduate education. It can be as different from your undergraduate work as high school was from Montclair State University. Start by asking yourself questions such as: What graduate degrees are available? How can I tell if I need an advanced degree to reach my career goal? Is it better to enroll in graduate school after graduation or should I get some work experience first?
Who Is My Career Services Director?
- The College of The Arts (CART) – Vicki Nauta
- The College of Education and Human Services (CEHS) – Linda Flynn
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS) – Nadine Verna
- The College of Science and Mathematics (CSAM) – Gen Hinson
- The Feliciano School of Business (FSBUS) – Sabrina Sanichar
- University College (UC) – Adam Mayer
Reflect on the Past Year
Reflect on the perseverance, agility and resilience needed to overcome these challenges. These are qualities that not only shape who you will become in the future, but they are also qualities that employers look for in new hires.
- With this past year in mind, take some time to discover your strengths, explore your interests and decide what’s important to you. Career Services offers self-assessment tools to help you set your long- and short-term career goals. Summer break is a good time to take an assessment. Make sure to set up an appointment with your Career Advisor to review your results.Your success is important to us! Our goal is to provide the resources to help you enhance your professional skills, network with employers and industry experts, and develop a strategy to search for a job or internship. Learn more about what we can do for you by visiting our website!
Jobs and Internships on Handshake!
- Breakthrough CTX 2023 College Completion Summer Fellow: AmeriCorps
- Graphic Design Intern: Pearl Media
- Administrative Assistant: RES
- Male Cabin Staff: Camp Boggy Creek
- TikTok Creator: VAE Labs
- Red Hawks Rising Success Coach: Center for Academic Success and Tutoring
- Summer Internship: NYONAir
- Software Engineer: 3Kliks IT Solutions
- Summer 2023: Market Access MBA Intern – CSL
- Staff Auditor: Port Authority of NY & NJ
- Summer Camp Coaching Assistant: Camp Skymelor
- Business Development Internship: UPCYCLE USA
- Fall 2023 Fashion Design Intern: Santa Fe Apparel
- Talent Management Intern: The Cooper Company
- Patient Services Coordinator: Fenway Health
- Fund Compliance Analyst: Russell Investments
- Entry Level Customer Service Representative: Hilb Group
- Photographer and Videographer: Camp Moosilauke
- Marketing Intern: Bergen’s Promise
- Data Architect at Maximus
What is the Post-Graduation Survey?
Eligible Survey Respondents: Class of 2023 (August 2022, January 2023, May 2023)
For each graduating class, Montclair State University administers the post-graduation survey to collect feedback about students’ experiences while studying at Montclair State as well as their post-graduation plans. Students who are graduating with an undergraduate or graduate degree as well as certificate and certification completers will receive the survey about six weeks prior to graduation!
Accessing the survey: Please enter your NetID and password to complete the survey.
The information you share in the survey is invaluable. It helps us learn about our graduating students’ successes and ensure that we are offering the best education possible aligned with our students’ goals. Some of the information we seek to identify is:
- How prepared students feel to enter the workforce.
- Number of students who are employed, along with the name of their employer, position and salary.
- Number of students continuing their education after graduation, where and in what field.
- Number of students still seeking employment or researching continued education programs.
- Information on other post-graduation plans.
- Level of satisfaction with program of study as well as career and academic advising at Montclair.
Digital Badging through Experience Montclair
Experience Montclair is a student engagement platform that awards you digital badging as you progress through activities, events and workshops. The University as a whole has several badges students can complete. For career services, we offer students the Career and Professional Development Badge.
Each career activity for the badge is designed to help develop skills and tools needed to succeed when entering the professional world. Students who complete four of the achievements included in the Badge will also have the opportunity to join Career Services for a year-end celebration!
Experience Montclair can be accessed via the Suitable app in any of the following ways:
- Log in to NEST with your NetID and password. Scroll to Experience Montclair & click on the link. (If the “Ellucian” page pops up, wait a few minutes until it redirects to Suitable.co.)
- Suitable.co: Log in with your NetID@mail.montclair.edu and password. Make sure to use @mail.montclair.edu, not @montclair.edu.
- By downloading the Suitable App from the Google Play Store or Apple Store.
Connect with Career Services
- Office Contact – email@example.com
- Instagram – msucareerservices
- Facebook – Red Hawk Careers
- Twitter – MSUcareerserv
- Soundcloud – Career Services Podcast
- YouTube – MSUCareerWorkshops
- LinkedIn – MSU Career Center
- Engage – The Center for Career Services