Courses/ Grades

Questions concerning a grade should first be addressed to the course instructor. If there is an error, the instructor can initiate action for a change or correction. If this proves unsatisfactory, students may then submit a written appeal to the chairperson of the appropriate department. The chairperson may rule on the material submitted, or may arrange for a meeting with the student and the instructor. If still unsatisfied, students may submit a written appeal to the Dean of the appropriate school. Again, the Dean may rule on the material submitted, or may arrange for a meeting with the student and the instructor. If still unresolved, a final opportunity is to submit a written appeal to the Vice President for Academic Affairs. For more information on formal grade grievance procedures, refer to the policies in the Appendix.

Students, for whom elective courses must be approved by their GPC, must complete the "Approval of Elective Credit" form available from the The Graduate School or downloadable from the Web site at: Once the GPC has approved the form, it must be submitted to The The Graduate School for final approval.

Courses numbered below 500 are not acceptable for graduate credit.

Courses numbered 500 to 699 are master's level courses and are open only to graduate students and last-term seniors with prior approval. Courses numbered 700-899 are doctoral-level courses and are open to doctoral students only. Courses are scheduled in the late afternoon and evening during the fall and spring semesters for most programs. Summer Session graduate courses are scheduled in both the day and evening.

Only full-time matriculated graduate students are eligible to apply for a course overload. Full-time graduate students are defined as earning a minimum of nine (9) credit hours per semester. Special permission is required to take a course overload of more than fifteen (15) credit hours, per semester. Full-time graduate students who have at least a 3.000 or above cumulative grade point average, and who are not graduate assistants, may register for a course overload of more than fifteen (15) credits, only upon approval of the Dean of The The Graduate School.

Graduate assistants are not permitted to take more than twelve (12) credit hours.

All registrations for course overloads are made on a space-available basis. The University reserves the right to reduce the course load of any student who registers for more than fifteen (15) credit hours without course overload approval.

"Graduate Course Overload Application" forms are available in The The Graduate School.

All final examinations must be given during the regularly scheduled examination periods. The days and times of final examinations for each class period can be found in the Schedule of Courses booklet available at the Registrar. No final examination may be given during the last week of classes before the examination period. If no formal examination is scheduled, the class must meet for one hour during the scheduled final examination time for a class evaluation session. Thus, all classes are required to meet during the examination period.

The grading system for graduate students, is as follows:

A = 4.0 C+ = 2.3 IN = Incomplete
A- = 3.7 C = 2.0 WP= Withdrew Pass
WF=Withdrew Fail
B+ = 3.3 C- = 1.7 NC = No Credit
B = 3.0 F = 0.0 AU = Audit
B- = 2.7   RF = Repeated "F" Course

Effective fall semester 1989, the grade "D" has been eliminated as a possibility for all students in graduate courses. See the Graduate Catalog for further explanations regarding Grades and Standards.

Graduate students must maintain a 3.000 grade point average (GPA) in his or her program of study. Any student is automatically considered to be on academic probation if his/her GPA falls below 3.000. See Probation for further details.

Please refer to the Appendix, Policies and Procedures, for a complete description of formal grade grievance procedures.

Graduate students who receive a grade of "F" are not permitted to repeat the course. Exceptions to this policy may be made in special cases and extenuating circumstances. Students must submit a request to repeat such a course in writing to the Dean of The The Graduate School.


  • No credit is granted toward the Master of Arts degree for certain 400 level courses, which are required for instructional certification.
  • Courses taken ten or more years prior to the date of the student's matriculation will not be accepted for credit toward the Master's Degree, except upon recommendation by the major department and approval of the The Graduate School.
  • No more than six (6) semester hours of credit may be allowed for courses completed at Montclair State or other colleges/universities prior to matriculation for the master's degree, except in specially designated programs.
  • No graduate credit is allowed for courses taken at other colleges while the student is enrolled at Montclair State unless the student obtains prior approval from the appropriate academic GPC. See Study at Another Institution for further information.
  • Credit is not allowed for courses taken on an audit basis. It is the obligation of each student to ensure that no course taken for graduate credit duplicates a course previously taken by that student. Courses may not be taken more than once for credit regardless of any change in the course number or title.

Students, who wish to make a substitution to their existing program of study, must fill out a "Substitution on Graduate Program" form, which can be found in The The Graduate School. After the student's GPC approves the substitution, all copies of the form should be sent to The The Graduate School for processing.