We are excited to offer the New Jersey State Employees Commuter Tax Savings Program that began Monday, February 10, 2020. The plan allows employees to set aside pretax dollars for eligible mass transit and commuter parking expenses. The pretax dollars are not subject to Federal Income, Social Security and Medicare taxes, thereby saving you money.
What Is Covered Under the Plan
The Commuter Tax Save program is divided into two components: mass transit and commuter parking.
Mass Transit Riders
- Water Taxi
- Light Rail
- Ridesharing (Uber And Lift)
- Parking Expenses
- Garages and Lots
- Parking Expenses
How Does it Work
For 2021, the program allows participants to elect up to $270.00 per month for mass transit expenses and/or up to $270.00 per month for commuter parking expenses. The minimum deduction amount is $15.00 per month for each plan.
Whether you take public transportation, drive, or use a park and ride, the program offers several options that may meet your needs.
- Smart Card Loading: Provides electronic loading of Smart Cards in several cities nationwide, including NYC’s MTA Annual MetroCard.
- Commuter Check Prepaid Mastercard: Use nationwide at participating transit providers where Debit Mastercard is accepted.
- Commuter Check Voucher for Transit: Redeemable where transit vouchers are accepted.
- Regional Transit Passes: Receive transit or bus passes directly.
- Direct Pay: Pays parking providers on your behalf on a monthly or quarterly basis.
- Commuter Check Voucher for Parking: Redeemable where parking vouchers are accepted.
- Commuter Check Prepaid Mastercard: Use nationwide at participating parking providers where Debit Mastercard is accepted.
- Direct Pay: Pays vanpool operators on your behalf on a monthly basis.
- Commuter Check Voucher for Vanpool: Redeemable where vanpool vouchers are accepted.
How Much Can You Save
Commuter benefits can add up to some serious tax savings. However, to determine if you would benefit from this program check out the calculator to see how much you could save.
How to Enroll
Commuter Tax$ave benefit is administered by Edenred Commuter Benefit Solutions.
Employees May Enroll
- Online at: www.commuterbenefits.com. You will need your University email address and Company Code: SNJ2 (View: How-To-Guide).
- Contact the Customer Service department at 1-866-512-8769.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the State of New Jersey Commuter Tax Savings Program?
The State of New Jersey Commuter Tax$ave Program is a program available under code 132(f) of the Federal Internal Revenue Code. The plan allows employees to set aside pretax dollars for eligible mass transit and commuter parking expenses. The pretax dollars are not subject to Federal Income, Social Security and Medicare taxes, thereby saving you money.
When can I enroll in the Commuter Tax$ave Program?
The ordering deadline is the 25th of each month. For example, to receive a pass for your commute in April, you will need to have placed your order by February 25th.
Will I need an identification number to register?
Yes. Registration will require you to enter the Company Code, Montclair.edu email, and your campus wide employee identification number (CWID). The Company Code is SNJ2.
Who is eligible to participate in this program?
An eligible employee is a full-time employee who is eligible to participate in the State Health Benefits Program (SHBP).
Can I change or cancel my election?
Yes, you may change or cancel your election by contacting the Customer Service department at 1-866-512-8769 or online at www.commuterbenefits.com.
How can I receive additional information about the program?
Additional information about the Commuter Tax$ave Program is available online on the Edenred website.
How do I enroll in the Commuter Tax$ave Program?
- online at: www.commuterbenefits.com. All you need is your Company Code: SNJ2
- contact the Customer Service department at 1-866-512-8769
How does the program work if the account is voluntarily cancelled or upon termination of employment?
Employee elections in the Commuter Tax$ave Program are irrevocable. All benefits under this program must be claimed while you are actively participating in the plan. Any funds in your account at time of cancellation or termination are forfeited.
How much can I contribute to the Commuter Tax$ave Program?
The Commuter Tax$ave program consists of two separate components. For 2021, the program allows participants to elect up to $270 per month ($3,240 per year) for mass transit expenses and/or up to $270 per month ($3,240 per year) for commuter parking expenses. The minimum deduction amount is $15 per month for each plan.
What are eligible expenses?
Mass transit expenses incurred to and from work for:
- Mass transit including train, bus, ferry and vanpool
- Park and Ride sites and commuter parking expenses
What expenses are not eligible?
Expenses incurred by taxi, car pool, private car, tolls (including EZ Pass) and commuting cost of dependents.
Enrollment periods are as follows:
|Enrollment Period||To Receive Transit & Parking Benefits For:|
|January 1 – January 31||March|
|February 1 – February 28||April|
|March 1 – March 31||May|
|April 1 – April 30||June|
|May 1 – May 31||July|
|June 1 – June 30||August|
|July 1 – July 31||September|
|August 1 – August 31||October|
|September 1 – September 30||November|
|October 1 – October 31||December|
|November 1 – November 30||January|
|December 1 – December 31||February|
The Red Hawk Deck parking is currently a pre-tax deduction and is not covered under the Commuter Tax$ave program.