The Annual Managerial Evaluation and Reappointment process enables managers to self-evaluate their performance and enter into a dialogue with their unit and division leaders regarding the manager’s performance. Managers are appointed under annual contracts that mirror the University’s fiscal year (July 1st to June 30th).
Each year, managers are evaluated on the following competencies:
- Community – Connecting to community through strategic partnerships, collaborations and services.
- Innovation – Embracing innovation, experimentation and creativity for excellence and efficiency.
- Social Justice – Understanding and working to dismantle barriers to the opportunities and privileges appropriate to all residence of New Jersey.
- Success – Continually promoting academic excellence and post-graduate achievement.
- Sustainability – Building practices and programs for long-term survival and flourishing of the University.
- Outstanding – Performance far exceeded expectations; based on exceptionally high quality of work, completion of a major goal or project, or unique contribution to the unit, department, or University.
- Exceeds Expectations – Performance exceeded expectations; based on achievement of goals, objectives and targets
- Meets Expectations – Performance met expectations; based on achievement of goals, objectives and targets.
- Needs Improvement – Performance met expectations inconsistently; based on achievement of goals, objectives and targets.
- Unsatisfactory – Performance was unsatisfactory and failed to meet minimum expectations.
Managerial Reappointment Schedule (2022 – 2023)
Managers are evaluated for reappointment annually and approved for reappointment using the following the schedule below are reappointed for the July 01, 2022 – June 30, 2023 period.
- Reappointment process launched in Workday
- Manager submits self-evaluation to Immediate Supervisor.
- Recommendation from Immediate Supervisor to Candidate after consulting with their Unit Head and Division Vice President to review performance evaluation and reappointment recommendations for all of their managerial staff.
- Last day for Candidate to provide a written response to Immediate Supervisor’s recommendation and reappointment.
- Recommendation from Immediate Supervisor to Unit Head
- Recommendation from Unit Head to division Vice President
- Division Vice President reviews and submits performance evaluations/reappointment recommendations to VPHR for review of completeness and content. Any performance concerns or non-reappointment recommendations must be discussed with the VPHR prior to 1/10/2022.
- President receives evaluations for review and approval.
- Managers subject to NON-reappointment (ONLY) are notified that their employment at the University will end June 30, 2022.
- President provides reappointment recommendation to the Board of Trustees for approval.
- Board of Trustees meeting
- Notification of Board of Trustees’ action
- Acceptance of reappointment