The Annual Managerial Evaluation and Reappointment process enables managers to self-evaluate their performance and enter into a dialogue with their unit and division leaders regarding the manager’s performance. Managers are appointed under annual contracts that mirror the University’s fiscal year (July 1st to June 30th).
Each year, managers are evaluated on the following competencies:
- Community – Connecting to community through strategic partnerships, collaborations and services.
- Innovation – Embracing innovation, experimentation and creativity for excellence and efficiency.
- Social Justice – Understanding and working to dismantle barriers to the opportunities and privileges appropriate to all residence of New Jersey.
- Success – Continually promoting academic excellence and post-graduate achievement.
- Sustainability – Building practices and programs for long-term survival and flourishing of the University.
- Outstanding – Performance far exceeded expectations; based on exceptionally high quality of work, completion of a major goal or project, or unique contribution to the unit, department, or University.
- Exceeds Expectations – Performance exceeded expectations; based on achievement of goals, objectives and targets
- Meets Expectations – Performance met expectations; based on achievement of goals, objectives and targets.
- Needs Improvement – Performance met expectations inconsistently; based on achievement of goals, objectives and targets.
- Unsatisfactory – Performance was unsatisfactory and failed to meet minimum expectations.
Managerial Reappointment Schedule (2021 – 2022)
Managers are evaluated for reappointment annually and approved for reappointment using the following the schedule below are reappointed for the July 01, 2021 – June 30, 2022 period.
- Managerial Performance Evaluation and Reappointment process launched in Workday.
- Manager submits their self-assessment in Workday which is then automatically routed to their immediate supervisor. All managers must complete a self-assessment.
- Immediate supervisor evaluates all of their managers and consults with their Unit Head/Division Vice President to review performance evaluation and reappointment recommendations for all of their managerial staff prior to meeting with the manager being reviewed.
- Immediate Supervisor meets with Manager being reviewed to discuss performance evaluation, revise if necessary, and then forwards evaluations to the Unit Head.
- Unit Head reviews and submits performance evaluations and reappointment recommendations for all of their managerial staff to the Division Vice President.
- Division Vice President reviews and submits performance evaluations/reappointment recommendations to VPHR for review of completeness and content . Any performance concerns or non-reappointment recommendations must be discussed with the VPHR prior to 12/24/2020.
- President receives evaluations/reappointments for review and approval.
- President notifies managers subject to NON-reapointment (ONLY) that their employment at the University will end June 30, 2021.
- President provides reappointment recommendation to the Board of Trustees for approval.
- Board of Trustees acts on the President’s reappointment recommendations.
- University President releases reappointment letters via Workday.
- Employee signs reappointment letter electronically in Workday.