The State of New Jersey Performance Assessment Review (PAR)
The Performance Assessment Review is an assessment model, using a three-tiered rating scale. This system is used to evaluate performance for employees and/or their supervisors who are currently represented by the following unions:
- American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME)
- Communication Workers of America (CWA) Local 1031
- International Federation of Professional and Technical Engineers (IFPTE) Local 195
- Policemen’s Benevolent Association State Law Enforcement Units (PBA-SLEU)
- New Jersey Superior Officers Law Enforcement Association (NJSOLEA)
- New Jersey Law Enforcement Supervisor Association (NJLESA)
PAR is an important part of organizational life. Taken seriously, it enhances organizational effectiveness and efficiency and for public sector organizations, it reduces the cost of doing business and therefore saves tax dollars.
As important as accurate completion of the forms is to the overall process, it is critical to remember that this process requires communication between rater (Supervisor) and ratee (Employee) and that communication is a two-way exchange. Everything about this system and the process that surrounds it is geared toward increasing communication and reducing misunderstandings that often arise when one person evaluates the work of another.
For step by step instructions pertaining to this process, please download the Performance Assessment Review System Presentation.
Performance Assessment Review Forms
2019 Performance Assessment Review Form for Employees that are Supervisors (eg. Crew Supervisor)
Performance Assessment Review Schedule
The new Performance Assessment Review Cycle is January 1, 2019 – December 31, 2019 (Calendar Year Cycle). Each section of the PAR should be completed according to the following schedule:
Step 1: Initial Agreement (Section 1) Due January 18, 2019
- Supervisor establishes written goals and job expectations for the individual and work group.
- Employee and supervisor should meet to review the performance expectations for the next fiscal year and discuss essential criteria by which the employee will be evaluated.
- All participants should complete and sign of the PAR Initial Agreement and forward it to the HR Coordinator in Overlook Center 3rd Floor.
Step 2: Interim Assessment Period (Sections 2, 3 and 4) Due June 14, 2019
- Supervisors should meet with the employee to discuss his progress based on the established goals for the individual and work group and to implement any necessary development plans halfway through the rating period.
- All participants should complete and sign the Interim Assessment and forward it to the HR Coordinator in Overlook Center 3rd Floor.
Step 3: Final Assessment Period (Sections 5 and 6) Due December 31, 2019
- Supervisors should meet with the employee to discuss his/her evaluation of the overall performance for the entire rating cycle.
- All participants should complete and sign the Final Assessment and forward the completed packet to the HR Coordinator in Overlook Center 3rd Floor.
- An Initial Agreement for the next Calendar Year Cycle should be finalized with the employee and also submitted at this time.
- PAR forms must be completed on all employees employed with Montclair State University for more than 30 days.
- If an employee transfers to another campus department, current supervisors should conduct a “close-out” PAR prior to the employee’s last day of work. This should document his/her performance through the last day of work. The new supervisor should establish an Initial Agreement with the new employee.
- The Reviewer (the supervisor’s manager) may not change the PAR rating unless it is mutually agreed upon by both the Ratee (employee) and the Rater (supervisor).