The State of New Jersey Performance Assessment Review (PAR)
The Performance Assessment Review is an assessment model, using a three-tiered rating scale. This system is used to evaluate performance for employees and/or their supervisors who are currently represented by the following unions:
- American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME)
- Communication Workers of America (CWA) Local 1031
- International Federation of Professional and Technical Engineers (IFPTE) Local 195
- Policemen’s Benevolent Association State Law Enforcement Units (PBA-SLEU)
- New Jersey Superior Officers Law Enforcement Association (NJSOLEA)
- New Jersey Law Enforcement Supervisor Association (NJLESA)
The Performance Annual Review is now being conducted in Workday and is an important part of organizational life. Taken seriously, it enhances organizational effectiveness and efficiency and for public sector organizations, it reduces the cost of doing business and therefore saves tax dollars.
It is critical to remember that this process requires communication between rater (Supervisor) and ratee (Employee) and that communication is a two-way exchange. Everything about this system and the process that surrounds it is geared toward increasing communication and reducing misunderstandings that often arise when one person evaluates the work of another.
For step by step instructions pertaining to this process, please download the Performance Assessment Review System Presentation.
Performance Assessment Review Forms
2019 Performance Assessment Review Form for Employees that are Supervisors (eg. Crew Supervisor)
Performance Assessment Review Schedule
The new Performance Assessment Review Cycle is January 1, 2020 – December 31, 2020 (Calendar Year Cycle). Each review period should be completed according to the following schedule:
Step 1: Initial Agreement: Due January 31, 2020
- Supervisor establishes written goals and job expectations for the individual and work group.
- Employee and supervisor should meet to review the performance expectations for the next calendar year and discuss essential criteria by which the employee will be evaluated.
- All participants should complete the PAR Initial Agreement and it will automatically be routed to the appropriate Human Resources representative in Workday
Step 2: Interim Assessment Period: Due June 30, 2020
- Supervisor should meet with the employee to discuss their progress based on the established goals for the individual and work unit and to implement any necessary development plans halfway through the rating period. This should be documented in Workday.
- All participants should complete the Interim Assessment and it will automatically be routed to the appropriate Human Resources representative in Workday
Step 3: Final Assessment Period: Due December 31, 2020
- Supervisor should meet with the employee to discuss their final evaluation of the overall performance for the entire rating cycle.
- All participants should complete the Final Assessment in Workday and it will automatically be routed to the appropriate Human Resources representative in Workday
- An Initial Agreement for the next Calendar Year Cycle will be initiated in January in Workday.
- Performance Assessments must be completed for all Civil Service employees at Montclair State University.
- If an employee transfers to another campus department, current supervisors should conduct a “close-out” evaluation prior to the employee’s last day of work. This should document his/her performance through the last day of work. The new supervisor should establish an Initial Agreement with the new employee.
- The Reviewer (the supervisor’s manager) may not change the rating unless it is mutually agreed upon by both the Ratee (employee) and the Rater (supervisor).