Overlook building with green roof and mirrored windows

Frequently Asked Questions

Medical Insurance

As a member of NJ DIRECT 15, I understand that I am required to pay deductibles and coinsurance for services from “non-preferred” providers. How can I locate preferred providers to reduce my costs?

To locate preferred providers, visit the Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield website and click on “provider directory.”

How can my daughter continue coverage if she loses her status as an eligible dependent?

She has the option to elect COBRA or Chapter 375 coverage. For details on the two plans and their eligibility criteria, visit the following COBRA and Coverage for Over Age Dependents webpages.

I am an employee who waived State Health Benefits coverage with MSU because I wanted to continue coverage as a dependent on my spouse’s plan. My insurance has been terminated and will soon no longer have health insurance coverage. Can my spouse and I enroll?

Yes, if your spouse’s employment status changes resulting in a loss of health coverage, you can enroll in State Health Benefits within 60 days of the event. You must also provide documentation (a letter or certificate) of your spouse’s employer to show loss of coverage. See guide on How to Enroll or Request a Change in Benefits in BenefitSolver

I currently have husband/wife coverage and my wife is pregnant. When should I add the baby?

You can add your child within 60 days of the child’s birth. If the child’s social security number is not available, you would need to provide proof to the Division of Pensions and Benefits once received. See guide on How to Enroll or Request a Change in Benefits in BenefitSolver

I have just become eligible to enroll in State Health Benefits. How can I decide which medical plan is the best one?

There is no single best plan. Plan selection is a personal decision based on your needs. You should review information provided in your benefits package and the individual carriers to familiarize yourself with the various plans and their provisions. Some of the main factors new enrollees usually consider are:

  • Cost
  • Ease of claims processing
  • Freedom of doctor/hospital selection
  • Whether or not your doctor participates in one or more State Health Benefit Plans

You can also visit the Benefits webpage for more information.

My 19 year old son works part-time and attends school part-time. Can he remain covered under my health insurance?

Your son may continue to be covered through the end of the year in which he turns 26.  A child is eligible to be enrolled in the SHBP until age 26  regardless of the child’s marital, student, or financial dependency status even if the young adult no longer lives with his or her parents and is eligible for other employer-based coverage.

What is the difference between the HMOs the state offers?

The service areas for Horizon HMO plans are limited to New Jersey, Delaware, and bordering counties of Pennsylvania and New York. The HMO has “General Operating Procedures” and “Conditions of Participation” that are minimum coverage requirements instituted by the state. Additionally, the HMO may offer perks such as maternity programs, educational programs, newsletters, and wellness programs.

What is the role of a Primary Care Physician (PCP) in the Horizon HMO?

Your PCP provides basic medical services and coordinates your overall medical care. If specialized treatment is required, your PCP is responsible for referring you to a specialist, lab, hospital or any other network physician or specialist.  A PCP is typically a general practitioner, internist, or pediatrician. HMO participants may change their PCPs as often as they like.

I lost my medical card. How can I get a new one?

View and print one on the secure member Horizon website or call Horizon at 1-800-414-7427.

Medical Documentation for Sick Days

Medical Documentation

Employees who are out sick for five consecutive working days must submit to HR/Benefits via Workday acceptable medical documentation.

Employees submitting medical documentation should include the following information:

  • the date the employee was seen by the doctor;
  • the date(s) the employee was out or will be out;
  • the expected date of return;
  • the reason for the absence and/or the nature of the illness;
  • a statement from the doctor that the employee is unable to carry out the duties of his/her position.

Medical documentation not containing this information will be returned for the necessary details. Failure to provide the appropriate medical documentation may result in the denial of paid sick leave.

At the discretion of the supervisor, medical documentation may be requested for proof of illness or injury:

  • when there is reason to believe that an employee is abusing sick leave;
  • when an employee has been absent on sick leave for any aggregate of more than 15 days in a 12-month period.
  • when illness is before or immediately following a holiday

Failure to provide the appropriate medical documentation in any of the above circumstances may result in the denial of paid sick leave.

The University has the right to require the employee’s medical documentation to be reviewed by Occupational Health, or have the employee examined by Occupational health.

Employees may be eligible to take sick days to care for a spouse, civil partner, son/daughter, parent, parent-in-law, parental relationship.

If there are any questions or concerns, please contact the Benefits Department in Human Resources at hr-benefits@montclair.edu.

Civil Service COVID-19 State Emergency

Which employees are eligible for Civil Service COVID-19 State of Emergency leave:

The order covers employees who are subject to Title 11 A Civil Service, which would include those individuals in the following unions:

  • CWA

I failed my Hawkcheck due to travel and was informed by Occupational Health that I must quarantine. What time do I charge?

A: For non-emergency travel, all employees will need to utilize their own PTO.

Can I travel if I am fully vaccinated?

A: If travelling outside of New Jersey (other than trips to New York, Connecticut, Pennsylvania or Delaware), all employees must complete the Hawk Check and Occupational Health will contact you to discuss whether you meet the criteria to be exempt from post-travel quarantine.

If you are not exempt from post-travel quarantine, you will need to utilize your own PTO.

I attended a funeral service due a death in the family and traveled outside of New Jersey (other than New York, Connecticut, Pennsylvania or Delaware). Can I use Civil Service COVID-19 State of Emergency leave?

A: Family members covered under the Civil Service agreement would be:

Spouse, Civil Partner, Son/Daughter, Parent, Parent-in-Law, Parental Relationship (for any other family members, you will need to utilize your own PTO).

I am a Civil Service Employee and my child’s school is closed/remote. Will I be covered under the NJ COVID-19 Family Leave?

A: All Civil Service employees are eligible for up to 10 days, paid at 100%.

What documentation do I need to provide for school closure/remote?

A: For Civil Service employees whose children are under 18 years of age whose school has been closed to in-person instruction, or whose child care provider is unavailable, due to COVID-19 precautions, should provide the following documentation within five business days:

  • the name of the child being cared for;
  • the name of the school that has been closed for in-person instruction or the child care provider that has been closed or become unavailable due to COVID-19; and
  • a statement from the employee that no other suitable person is available to care for the child during the period for which the employee takes COVID-19 Family Leave
Dental Insurance

As a member of the Dental Expense Plan how can I select a dentist who will charge lower fees?

You can take advantage of a special network of over 2,500 dentists referred to as “Aetna PPO Dentists”. These dentists have contracted with Aetna Dental to use a discounted fee schedule. To find out which dentists participate, visit the Aetna website.

How are orthodontics covered under the Dental Expense Plan and DPOs?

Under the Dental Expense Plan, eligible orthodontic services are covered for members under age 19 at a 50% coinsurance level up to a lifetime benefit maximum of $1,000. Orthodontic services are only covered if the employee has been a full-time employee for at least 10 months. Under DPOs, patients under 18 years at the start of treatment have a co-payment of $1,000 or 50% of the bill (whichever is less). Patients over 18 at the start of treatment have a co-payment of $1,750 or 50% of the bill (whichever is less). There is a maximum treatment period of 24 months.

My dentist dropped out of my DPO. Can I switch dental plans?

No, if your dentist leaves your DPO, you have to select another dentist in that DPO. If after your dentist leaves, there are no other participating dentists within 30 miles of your home, you have 30 days to select another plan. You will have the option to switch dental plans during open enrollment, given you have been participating in the DPO plan for at least 1 year.

What deductibles are required by members?

Members of the Dental Expense Plan are required to satisfy a $50.00 deductible per person per calendar year. If you have family coverage, no additional deductibles are charged after any three members have each met their $50.00 deductible.

What is the annual benefit maximum under the Dental Expense Plan?

Under the Dental Expense Plan the most the plan will pay for any one person per calendar year is $3,000. This maximum applies to all eligible services except orthodontics which has a separate $1,000 lifetime benefit maximum. Members of Dental Plan Organizations (DPOs) are not subject to annual benefit maximums.

When should I request a predetermination of benefits under the Dental Expense Plan?

If you or your dependent will incur dental expenses over $300 it is strongly recommended that you ask your dentist to file a predetermination of benefits. This will ensure that you and your dentist know in advance what part of the dentist’s charges will be paid by Aetna. If you and your dentist decide on a more costly treatment method, you are responsible for the additional charges above and beyond what Aetna considers “reasonable and customary.”

I lost my dental card. How can I get a new one?

View and print one on the secure member website or call your carrier. Please view the State website for your carrier’s contact information.

Prescription Drug Coverage

Can I get a 90-day supply of medication at my local retail pharmacy?

Yes, If you use a participating pharmacy you will pay the appropriate co-payment for the purchase of a 30-day or 90-day maximum supply.

Does the prescription drug plan have a mail order service? How do I use it?

Yes, you can receive up to a 90-day supply of medication for one co-payment.

To use the mail order service call OptumRx at 1-844-368-8740 or visit optumrx.com. Send with new prescription(s) to:

P.O. Box 2975
Mission, KS 66201

Mail order prescriptions are usually delivered within 7-10 business days of receipt of your order.

How can I find out which drug stores participate?

Ask your retail pharmacist, visit the OptumRx website, or call Member Services at 1-844-368-8740.

I did not receive my prescription card. Who should I call?

Call OptumRx Member Services at 1-844-368-8740.

If you have not received your Welcome Packet with the OptumRx announcement letter, please call OptumRx Member Services at 1-844-368-8740.

Who administers the Prescription Drug Plan?

Effective January 1, 2018, the New Jersey State Health Benefits Program (SHBP) Employee Prescription Drug Plan administered by OptumRx. This coverage is separate and independent from the medical insurance carrier.

Additional information and documents can be found on the prescription webpage.

Health Benefits Coverage of Children Until Age 31 Under Chapter 375

Who is eligible?

In order to meet the requirements for continuation of coverage under this law, the individual must be:

  • Less than 31 years of age
  • Unmarried
  • Having no dependents of his or her own
  • A NJ resident or enrolled as a full-time student at an accredited public or private institution of higher education
  • Not receiving coverage as a named subscriber, insured, enrollee, or covered person under any other group or individual health benefits plan, church plan, or entitled to benefits under Medicare).

May an over age dependent select to continue dental and/or vision benefits?

There is no provision for eligibility for dental or vision benefits, under Chapter 375.

May the over age dependent select a different plan than the medical plan that the covered parent has selected?

No. Under Chapter 375, an over age child does not have any choice in the selection of benefits.The over age child must be enrolled for coverage in exactly the same plan or plans (medical and/or prescription drug) that the covered parent has selected.

What documentation is required to enroll my dependent for coverage?

  • Active employees MUST submit Chapter 375 applications online using Benefitsolver. Navigate to mynjbenefitshub, or you may log in through myNewJersey. Please see Chapter 375 dependent documentation requirements here.

What is the cost for the over age coverage under Chapter 375?

When Chapter 375 coverage is elected, the covered parent will be billed directly by the SHBP for the cost of the coverage. Payroll deductions are not available. Please see the Chapter 375 2023 rates  chart for the premium amounts for the SHBP plans for over age coverage.

What is the difference between Chapter 375 and COBRA coverage?

There are several differences between Chapter 375 and COBRA coverage. Please visit the comparison chart for additional information.

When can I sign my dependent up for coverage?

A SHBP covered employee or retiree may enroll an over age child who is Chapter 375 eligible until the child’s 30th birthday at the following times:

  • Within 30 days prior to December 31 of the year the dependent reaches age 26 with coverage effective the following January 1
  • Within 30 days of coverage loss, the covered employee provides proof of loss of other group coverage (HIPAA) for the Chapter 375 eligible over age child with coverage effective the date that the prior coverage was terminated
  • During the Annual SHBP Open Enrollment period, typically held during the month of October of each year if the over age child meets the eligibility requirements of Chapter 375 with coverage effective the following January 1

When will coverage end under Chapter 375 for an over age dependent?

Chapter 375 coverage ends on the first of the month following the event that makes the child ineligible or up until the paid through date in the case of non-payment.

Coverage for an enrolled over age child will end when the child no longer meets any one of the eligibility requirements listed above, or when the covered parent’s coverage ends (for example: termination of employment, divorce, or death of the covered parent). The SHBP may also terminate coverage in the event of non-payment of the required premiums.

There is no provision for the continuation of group coverage under COBRA for a child due to the loss of Chapter 375 coverage. Nor is there any provision for conversion to non-group coverage.

Where can I obtain further information about the law?

You can visit the State of New Jersey Division of Pensions and Benefits website for current information.

Affordable Care Act (ACA)

What benefits will I be eligible to enroll in should I be determined to be full-time under the Affordable Care Act (ACA)?

Employees who are determined to be eligible for health benefits through MSU under ACA will be offered the option to enroll in SHBP medical and prescription drug plans.Additional benefits, such as dental plans, are not covered by the ACA.

Can I cover my spouse and children in the medical and prescription drug plans?

Yes; eligible dependents for SHBP coverage include spouses, same-sex domestic partners or civil union partners, and children.

What will I be required to contribute for the coverage?

Employees enrolled in SHBP coverage under the ACA will contribute towards the coverage according to Chapter 78, N.J. P. L. 2011, the same as all full-time University employees. Contributions are based on annual salary, plan selected, and dependents covered. For an estimate on your cost, use the Horizon Calculator.

I have been notified by the Benefits Office that I am eligible for health coverage via the ACA. When will my coverage be effective?

In accordance with both SHBP regulations and restrictions on length of waiting periods under the ACA, newly hired employees who are expected to work 30 or more hours in regularly appointed positions will be offered coverage after a 60-day waiting period. Those found eligible via the annual audit will be offered coverage effective each January 1.

How are multiple assignments taken into account for measuring hours for the ACA?

Hours worked across all assignments will be aggregated and used to measure full-time status under the ACA each year, with the exception of Federal Work Study hours as exempted under the legislation. For example, a Part-Time Lecturer teaching 6 credits in one department and 6 credits in another department would be measured as having taught 12 credits in the semester.

I currently have SHBP coverage at the University because I am full-time in an eligible position. How do these changes impact me?

These changes in procedure have no impact on you as long as you remain full-time in a benefits-eligible position.

How does the ACA allow colleges and universities to measure hours for Adjuncts?

The IRS provided clarification and guidance as it related to the measurement of adjunct faculty hours. In reviewing this guidance, the University will apply 2.5 hours per week per credit taught in the semester. For example, if an Adjunct teaches a 3-credit course in one department and a 6-credit course in another department, 22.5 hours per week will be applied to their measurement for that semester.

State Health Benefits for Part-Time Employees

Are payroll deductions available?

No, the NJ Division of Pensions and Benefits will bill enrolled members on a monthly basis. Invoices will be mailed to the member’s home address.

As a part-time employee, if I enroll in State Health Benefits, can I also enroll in a Flexible Spending Account?

No, only full-time employees eligible for employer paid health benefits are eligible to enroll in Flexible Spending Accounts.

How do eligible part-time employees enroll?


I am a newly hired part-time professor. When can I enroll?

There is a two-month waiting period following the eligibility date before the part-time (SHBP) health benefits become effective. For example, if a part-time employee becomes eligible to enroll in a state retirement system on September 1 and the part-time employee has completed and submitted the Part-time Employees Health Benefits Program Application the part-time SHBP insurance coverage would be effective on November 1.

To enroll, log into Benefitsolver.

If I am enrolled in State Health Benefits when I retire from my part-time position, will I be able to elect post-retirement health coverage?

Yes.  Upon retirement, part-time employees  who are enrolled in the SHBP are permitted to enroll in the retiree state health benefits coverage, which includes prescription drug coverage. You will be required to pay full group rates regardless of your amount of pension credited service. For more information, visit the Retiree website.

If I do not enroll when first eligible, when is the next opportunity to enroll?

You may enroll during the next regular annual open enrollment period or within 60 days of a life event (birth, marriage, loss of coverage through spouse, same domestic or civil union partner, etc.).

If I have a change in status from part-time to full-time employment, what is the procedure to continue health coverage? Will there be a waiting period for full-time health benefits?

Log into Benefitsolver.

Coverage will be effective after a 60 day waiting period from your full-time employment date.

Is there a way to continue health insurance coverage after termination of employment?

Yes, upon termination of employment you may continue coverage for up to 18 months by enrolling in COBRA.

What are the Monthly Rates?

What coverage options are available?

Part-time employees can elect one of the programs offered by the NJ Division of Pensions and Benefits.

When can new employees enroll and when would coverage take effect?

There is a two-month waiting period following the eligibility date before the part-time (SHBP) health benefits become effective. For example, if a part-time employee becomes eligible to enroll in a state retirement system on September 1 and the part-time employee has completed and submitted the Part-time Employees Health Benefits Program Application the part-time SHBP insurance coverage would be effective on November 1.

If the part-time employee was enrolled in SHBP as a part-time employee with a previous state employer and the coverage is still active on the part-time employees’ date of hire with the current employer (COBRA coverage is excluded), the part-time SHBP health coverage is effective immediately without a break in coverage.

Who is eligible?

Part-time employees who are members of a state-administered retirement plan.

Will I have the 2 month waiting period, if I was enrolled in the SHBP as a part-time employee with a previous employer?

If your coverage is still in effect on the day that you begin work with your current state employer (COBRA coverage excluded), your coverage begins immediately.  You will not have the 2 month waiting period or any break in coverage.


What is COBRA?

COBRA is an acronym for the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act. It is a Federal law that provides employees and dependents who would otherwise lose coverage an opportunity to purchase health benefits for a limited time.

Can I elect a different carrier?

Yes, for example an employee enrolled in NJ DIRECT 15 may elect to enroll in one of the HMO plans under COBRA.

Can I elect a reduced level of COBRA coverage?

Yes, however you may not increase the level of coverage while on COBRA unless there is a qualifying event such as a birth or marriage.

How do I enroll?

A COBRA Notice will be mailed to the address on file in Benefitsolver. Benefitsolver is the COBRA administrator for the SHBP and SEHBP, and continuation of coverage elections must be made through Benefitsolver.

How long may COBRA coverage continue?

  • 18 months – termination of employment, change in job status, or leave of absence
  • 29 months – if on Social Security disability status
  • 36 months – death of employee, divorce, or dependent loses eligibility status

What are the COBRA rates?

What is the deadline for returning a completed COBRA application to the state?

60 days from loss of coverage or date of employer notification, whichever is later.

When do I pay the premium?

The New Jersey Division of Pensions and Benefits will send you a monthly invoice.  For information on the billing notice, please review Fact Sheet #30 (on the COBRA SHBP website.)

Where can I direct COBRA billing questions?

Our COBRA service center is ready to help you at 833–929–1101, Monday through Friday, except holidays.

Who is eligible?

Employees and dependents enrolled in State Health Benefits at the time of a “COBRA event” resulting in the loss of coverage are eligible.

Will there be a break in continuous coverage after COBRA enrollment?

No, the COBRA start date coincides with the active coverage end date.

Tax Form 1095-C

What is Tax Form 1095-C?

Tax Form 1095-C is a document that contains detailed information about health care coverage offered to applicable employees. The ACA has mandated that employers provide Tax Form 1095-C to all eligible employees as of 2016 (for tax year 2015). Tax Form 1095-C serves as proof of insurance, and is formal documentation of ACA compliance for the IRS.

Who will receive Tax Form 1095-C from MSU?

According to the ACA definition of full-time employee, those who will receive Tax Form 1095-C are faculty and staff who worked an average of 30 or more hours per week for the University in the calendar year.

Who will not receive Tax Form 1095-C from MSU?

According to the ACA definition of full-time employee, those who will not receive Tax Form 1095-C are faculty and staff who worked less than an average of 30 hours per week for the University in the calendar year.

How will Tax Form 1095-C impact my taxes?

If you do not have formal documentation of ACA compliance for qualifying health care coverage for the entirety of the year, you may be required to pay the IRS an Individual Shared Responsibility Payment. For more information on ACA compliance please visit the IRS website at https://www.irs.gov/Affordable-Care-Act.

Should I wait to receive Tax Form 1095-C in the mail before completing my federal tax return?

In most cases, you do not need to wait for Tax Form 1095-C in order to file your federal tax return. You can simply check the box on the standard IRS tax form to attest that you, your spouse (if filing jointly), and covered dependent(s), had the required Minimum Essential Coverage.

Do I need to attach Tax Form 1095-C to my federal tax return?

The IRS will not require that you attach Tax Form 1095-C to your filing documents, but you should maintain Tax Form 1095-C with your personal tax records. Please consult with your tax professional or financial adviser if you have specific tax questions.

Will covered dependents receive Tax Form 1095-C?

The University will supply eligible faculty and staff with Tax Form 1095-C, which will list covered dependents. Covered dependents requiring copies of Tax Form 1095-C will need to access the documents through the faculty or staff member under whom the dependent’s coverage exists.

What if there is a discrepancy on Tax Form 1095-C?

If there is a discrepancy on Tax Form 1095-C, please contact the Benefits Office  at benefits@montclair.edu, and we will reissue a new copy of Tax Form 1095-C within 10 business days.

Is my Tax Form 1095-C available online?

The Tax Form 1095-C is an accessible Workday.

Where can I find more information about the ACA and Tax Form 1095-C?

For comprehensive ACA tax provisions, and for more information about Tax Form 1095-C, please visit the IRS website at https://www.irs.gov/Affordable-Care-Act.

Life Insurance

Can I convert my life insurance?

Yes, you can convert your life insurance. You can either call Prudential at 877-889-2070 or use the online Life Insurance Conversion Calculator.

Does my life insurance continue into retirement?

  • Members of PERS or PFRS continue a reduced amount of life insurance into retirement if they retired with 10 or more years of pension membership credit or if they retired on a disability retirement.
    • PERS retirees receive 3/16 times the last 12 month’s salary.
    • PFRS retirees receive ½ of Final Compensation.
  • Members of ABP continue life insurance equal to one half times the last 12 month’s salary, if they retired with 10 or more years of pension credited service at age 60 or above.
  • Members of DCRP continue a reduced amount of life insurance into retirement if they retire on or after age 60 with 10 or more years of pension membership credit or at any age with 25 years of participation in the DCRP. DCRP retirees receive 3/16 of the annual base salary on which DCRP contributions were made.

How can I change my life insurance beneficiary?

Alternate Benefit Program (ABP) members must complete the Beneficiary Designation form and return it to:

Division of Pensions and Benefits, Beneficiary Services
P.O. Box 295
Trenton, NJ 08625-0295.

Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) and Police and Firemen’s Retirement System (PFRS) members who wish to verify, update, or change their beneficiary information must use the online Designation of Beneficiary Application available through the Member Benefits Online System (MBOS)

How can I tell who my beneficiary is?

You can send a written request to the State asking for a copy of your beneficiary disclosure.  Send requests to:

Division of Pensions and Benefits, Beneficiary Services
P.O. Box 295
Trenton, NJ 08625-0295

MSU does not have records of  beneficiary information.

How often can I change my beneficiary?

You may change your beneficiary as often as you like.  Every time a Designation of Beneficiary form is received it replaces what was on file with the Division of Pensions and Benefits.

If I have more than one beneficiary, can I designate different percentages to each?

Yes, you should indicate percentage assignments clearly in the space provided on the Designation of Beneficiary form.  If you do not indicate percentages, the beneficiaries living at the time of your death will share equally in the distribution of death benefits.

Retirement Plans

For instructions on how to enroll/change contributions to supplemental plans through Workday, click here.

As a member of the ABP, do I have to be a certain age to retire?

No, there is no age requirement. You are considered retired when you withdraw funds from your retirement account in the form of an annuity and/or cash settlement. Only employee contributions are available to ABP retirees until age 55. Once attaining age 55, employer contributions are also available to ABP retirees. For information about payout options and possible tax penalties for cash withdrawals prior to age 59 ½, contact your investment carrier.

How do I determine if a staff employee is eligible for PERS or ABP?

Generally, full-time staff employees including those who are receiving compensation of 50% or more of base salary who work in a position in which a Bachelor’s degree is required are eligible for ABP. All other full-time and part-time regularly appointed staff (and temporary employees after 12 months of continuous employment) are eligible for PERS.

I am a new hire. Do I have to enroll in a pension plan?

If you accept a pension-eligible position at the University, you must enroll in a pension plan as a condition of employment. Pension enrollment cannot be waived.

Anyone holding an “F” or “J” visa is not eligible to join a pension plan.

I am currently enrolled in PERS. I recently transferred to an ABP-eligible position. Do I have to enroll in ABP?

No, you have the choice of remaining in PERS or switching to ABP. If you remain in PERS, you will waive your rights to membership in the ABP while employed at the University. Employees who become eligible will be provided the necessary information and forms to complete the process. Employees will have 30 days to make a decision and return the appropriate form(s) to your department.

It is important to note that this is a one-time decision that must be made. If you do not transfer into ABP within the above timeframe, you will continue to participate in PERS and cannot decide at a later date to transfer to ABP.

I am a temporary employee, am I eligible for pension?

Long Term Disability (ABP)

How long will long term disability benefits be paid?

Benefits will continue as long as the member remains disabled or until the member reaches age 70.  If the member retires by receiving payments under the retirement annuity, the member is considered retired, and long-term disability benefits terminate.

I have recently become disabled, when should I apply for long-term disability benefits?

You should apply when you think you will be out of work longer than six months. Members become eligible to receive long-term disability benefits after six months of “total disability” however, you do not have to wait six months to apply.

What are the benefits? Will contributions be made to my ABP retirement plan?

Members are eligible to receive a regular income benefit up to 60% of base salary earned during the 12 months preceding the onset of the disability.  This benefit is offset by any other periodic benefits the member may receive such as Workers’ Compensation, Social Security, etc.

What constitutes “total disability”?

To be considered totally disabled, the member must be unable to perform one or more essential duties of his/her occupation.  The member need not be confined to home, but must be under a doctor’s regular care.  Twelve months after the onset of Long Term Disability payments, the member must be unable to engage in any gainful occupation for which he or she is suited by education, training or experience.

Supplemental Savings Plans

Can I suspend and restart contributions?

Yes, contributions to any of these savings plans can be suspended and restarted at a future time.

How does the IRS classify these voluntary savings plans?

ACTS, SACT and Additional Voluntary Contributions through your investment carrier are “403(b)” plans. The NJ State Employees Deferred Compensation Plan is an IRS “457” plan.

What are the annual contribution limits for each of these plans?

  • The maximum contribution for 2023 is $22,500.
  • Anyone turning the age of 50 by the end of the calendar year can also make “Catch up” contributions in the amount of $7,500. (Total contributions cannot exceed $30,000 for regular contributions and catch-up contributions).


  • Under age 50: A combined pre-tax and after-tax contributions: $22,500 in 2023
  • Age 50 & Over: A maximum pre-tax and after-tax contributions: $30,000 in 2023

Note: Members enrolled in ACTS and SACT have a combined $22,500 or $30,000 limit for 2023.

NJ State Employees Deferred Compensation Plan (PERS or PFRS or ABP)

  • Under age 50: A combined pre-tax and after-tax contributions: $22,500 in 2023
  • Age 50 & Over: A maximum pre-tax and after-tax contributions: $30,000 in 2023

Note: Three years prior to retirement, plan members may be able to defer up to twice the normal limit for that year. For additional information, please contact Prudential at 866-657-3327.

What voluntary savings plans can members of PERS or PFRS enroll in?

PERS or PFRS members may enroll in one or more of the following plans:

What supplemental plan should I enroll in on Workday?

ABP Members – 367 ( AXA, Mass Mutual, MetLife, TIAA, Voya, Valic )

PFRS Members- 380 ( AXA, Mass Mutual, MetLife, TIAA, Voya, Valic )

PERS Members- 381 ( AXA, Mass Mutual, MetLife, TIAA, Voya, Valic )

All Members- 457 (Prudential- Voluntary/Roth)

Roth Contributions

Can I contribute both pre-tax and Roth contributions to the New Jersey State Employees Deferred Compensation Plan (NJSEDCP)?

Yes. You can choose to contribute pre-tax contributions, Roth contributions, or a combination of both.

Can I make Roth contributions to the NJSEDCP and to a Roth IRA?

Making Roth contributions to the Plan does not impact your eligibility to make Roth IRA contributions. Based on your income, however, you may not be able to contribute to a Roth IRA.

Can I roll my Roth IRA into the NJSEDCP?

No. The law does not allow Roth IRAs to be rolled into the Plan.

How do I keep track of my pre-tax and Roth contributions?

Roth contributions will be tracked in your account at Prudential Retirement. Roth contributions will be listed as a separate ‘source’ of money on the participant website and on your quarterly statement.

How much can I contribute to the Plan if I make pre-tax and Roth contributions?

The IRS limit applies to the combined contribution amount. The limit remains at $22,500 for 2023. You may also be eligible to make catch-up contributions. If you are age 50 or over as of December 31 you can contribute an extra $7,500. Your Plan also offers a Special 457 Catch-up for participants who have not always maximized their annual contributions to the NJSEDCP.

What are Roth contributions? Are they different from traditional pre-tax contributions?

Roth contributions are voluntary contributions that are made on an after-tax basis. The amount you contribute is included in your W-2 in the year you make your contribution. Roth contributions and any earnings on those contributions are tax-free upon distribution because you already paid income tax on your Roth contributions.  A withdrawal of your Roth contributions is always 100% federal income tax free.

Traditional contributions are made on a before–tax basis, reducing your taxes at the time you make the contribution. Traditional pre-tax contributions, and any earnings on those contributions, are subject to ordinary taxes upon distribution.

Deciding which contribution type is better for you is a personal decision as you can choose to contribute pre-tax contributions, Roth contributions, or a combination of both.

Where do I get more information about Roth Contributions?

For additional information about the Roth Contributions visit the Prudential website.

You may call your Prudential representative, Alicia Smith, 732-428-2314, alicia.smith@prudential.com

Member Services Online System (MBOS)

What is the Member Services Online System (MBOS)?

MBOS is an online portal within the New Jersey Division of Pensions and Benefits website intended for members of the Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS) and the Police and Firemen’s Retirement System (PFRS).

How can I obtain my Logon ID and/or my password if I have forgotten it?

The Division of Pensions and Benefits has provided links to registered MBOS users to retrieve their logon ID and/or password.

  • Forgot your login ID?, you will be asked to provide the email address for your account and prompted to answer your challenge question.
  • Forgot your Password?, you will be asked to provide your login ID and be prompted to answer your challenge question.

How do I register for MBOS?

The Division of Pensions and Benefits provides step by step registration instructions  that include images of each of the registration steps to assist first time users.

I am a new employee and have not received confirmation of my PERS enrollment? Can I still register for MBOS?

You cannot register for MBOS until you have received your pension membership number, which will be mailed to your home address once your enrollment in PERS has been processed by the Division of Pensions and Benefits.

I am still having difficulty using MBOS. How can I request assistance?

If you encounter difficulty registering for or using MBOS, call Client Services at 609-292-7524. You may also request assistance via MyNJ Support.  Please include your full name, email address, log on ID, and a detailed description of the issue you are experiencing.

I am trying to register for MBOS, but I do not know my PERS membership number. How can I obtain this number?

For employees currently enrolled in PERS, there are several ways to find your pension membership number:

  • Reference your PERS enrollment verification that you received when you enrolled in PERS initially
  • Call the Division of Pensions and Benefits automated system at 609- 292-7524
  • Contact the Benefits Office at benefits@montclair.edu.

I do not have internet access at home, is there another way to get my PERS account information?

Yes.  PERS employees can also access their account information via phone by using the Automated Information System. You may access the Interactive Voice Response system 24 hours a day by calling 609-292-7524.

What functions can I complete using the MBOS system?

MBOS allows PERS and PFRS members to complete a variety of functions associated with their pension membership:

  • Review member account information
  • Apply for a pension loan
  • Apply to purchase service credit
  • Designate beneficiaries
  • Calculate a retirement estimate
  • Apply for retirement, and
  • Other pension related functions.

What pension functions can only be completed through MBOS?

Newly enrolled PERS members must use the MBOS system to designate beneficiaries for their retirement contributions and life insurance.

Effective November 1, 2008, all pension loan requests must be submitted online through MBOS.

Purchasing Service Credit

Can I purchase time if I haven’t worked in an eligible position?

No, only eligible service. See below.

How do I pay for the purchase?

You can make a lump sum payment or elect to have payroll deductions.

How much time can be purchased?

Members may purchase all eligible time up to 10 years. Veterans may purchase an additional 5 years of wartime military service. Partial purchases are permitted.

What types of service are eligible for purchase?

  • Temporary service
  • Leave of absence without pay
  • Former membership service
  • Out-of-state public service
  • S. government service
  • Military service after enrollment
  • Local retirement system service
  • Employment with other agencies (PFRS only)
  • Military service before enrollment
  • Uncredited service
  • Layoff (PFRS police only)

Where can I find more information about purchasing service credit?

The New Jersey Division of Pensions and Benefits Fact Sheet #1 has further information.

Commuter Tax$ave

Can I change or cancel my election?

Yes, you may change or cancel your election by contacting the Customer Service department at 1-866-512-8769 or online at www.commuterbenefits.com

How can I receive additional information about the program?

Additional information about the Commuter Tax$ave Program is available online on the Edenred website.

How do I enroll in the Commuter Tax$ave Program?

An eligible employee may enroll :

  • Online at: commuterbenefits.com. You will need your University email address and Company Code: SNJ2 (View: How-To-Guide).
  • Contact the Customer Service department at 1-866-512-8769.

How does the program work if the account is voluntarily cancelled or upon termination of employment?

Employee elections in the Commuter Tax$ave Program are irrevocable. All benefits under this program must be claimed while you are actively participating. Any funds in the account at time of cancellation or termination are forfeited.

What are eligible expenses?

Mass transit expenses incurred to and from work for:

  • Mass transit including train, bus, ferry and vanpool
  • Park and Ride sites and commuter parking expenses

What expenses are not eligible?

Expenses incurred by taxi, car pool, private car, tolls (including EZ Pass) and commuting cost of dependents.

What is the maximum dollar amount that I can have on my Commuter Tax$ave debit card?

The Edenred Commuter Benefits Solutions (ECBS) has established a maximum account balance of $1,500 for the QuickPay card in an effort to reduce the risk of employees forfeiting unused pre tax dollars.

Edenred Commuter Benefits Solutions (ECBS) will notify employees if their account balance reaches $1,000 by sending a letter recommending that the employee evaluate his or her current levels of deductions and expenses. If the employee’s account balance reaches $1,200, Edenred Commuter Benefits Solutions (ECBS) will automatically track the account and send the employee a second letter. If the employee’s account balance reaches $1,500, ECBS will not place additional funds on the employee’s debit card until the balance is spent down comparable with ongoing deductions.

What is the State of New Jersey Commuter Tax Savings Program?

The State of New Jersey Commuter Tax$ave Program is a program available under code 132(f) of the Federal Internal Revenue Code. The plan allows employees to set aside pretax dollars for eligible mass transit and commuter parking expenses. The pretax dollars are not subject to Federal Income, Social Security and Medicare taxes, thereby saving you money.

When can I enroll in the Commuter Tax$ave Program?

The ordering deadline is the 25th of the month. For example, to receive a pass for your commute in April, you will need to have placed your order by February 25th.

Who is eligible to participate in this program?

An eligible employee is a full-time employee who is eligible to participate in the State Health Benefits Program (SHBP).

Will I need an identification number to register?

Yes.  Registration will require you to enter the Company Code, Montclair.edu email, and your campus wide employee identification number (CWID). The Company Code is SNJ2.


Are day camp expenses eligible for reimbursement through the Dependent Care Spending Account?

Yes, qualified day care, day camp, or other outside child care services such as before-school and after-school programs are covered.

Are Over-The-Counter drugs and medications eligible for reimbursement?

Yes. The CARES Act of March 2020 expanded the benefits of HSAs and FSAs by removing the prescription requirement for several OTC drugs and medicines, and by adding feminine hygiene products to the list of expenses eligible for reimbursement. List of eligible expenses can be found on the Horizon website.

Can over age children still be reimbursed for out-of-pocket medical expenses through the Unreimbursed Medical Spending Account until age 26?

They may be.  The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) extends the eligibility of coverage to eligible children until the age of 26.  However, out-of-pocket expenses cannot be incurred by over age children unless the child qualifies as a “tax dependent” under Internal Revenue Code Section 125.

I am enrolled in the Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account. My daycare expenses increased. Can I increase my annual election amount?

Yes, as long as you do not exceed $5,000 for the calendar year. To change your annual election amount, complete a Change in Status form and return the form to Horizon directly.

I am enrolled in the Unreimbursed Medical Spending Account. Can I change my annual election amount?

You cannot make changes in your election amount during the calendar year unless you experience a qualified change in family status that is recognized by the IRS. Changes in family status include marriage or divorce, birth or adoption of a child, death of a dependent, change in work status of spouse, significant change in health coverage due to spouse’s employment, and change in cost or coverage of dependent care.

I will soon place my newborn in day care so that I can go back to work. I am not enrolled in a Dependent Care Flexible Account. Can I enroll now?

Yes, once you return to work you should enroll within 30 days of the event. To enroll, complete a Change in Status form and return the form to Horizon directly.

If I hire a babysitter, are wages and related taxes considered eligible for reimbursement through the Dependent Care Spending Account?

Yes, dependent care wages and related taxes for a babysitter are eligible expenses as long as the babysitter is not your dependent.

Is there a waiting period for new employees to enroll in the Unreimbursed Medical Spending Account and/or Unreimbursed Dependent Care Spending Account?

Yes.  There is a 30 day waiting period for the Unreimbursed Dependent Care Spending Account.  There is a 60 day waiting period for the Unreimbursed Medical Spending Account.  The effective date will be the first day of the month following eligibility.  Employees who have an academic year appointment and have a September 1 hire date are eligible to enroll effective September 1.

What are the maximum elections?

For the Unreimbursed Medical Spending Account, the maximum annual election is $2,500. For the Dependent Care Spending Account, the maximum annual election is $5,000.

What is the deadline for incurring expenses and submitting reimbursement claims under the Unreimbursed Medical Spending Account and the Dependent Care Spending Account?

You have until March 15 of the following year to incur eligible expenses. The deadline for submitting all claims is April 30 of the following year. Unused funds will not be reimbursed.

Where can I find a sample list of eligible expenses for reimbursement?

Please visit the HorizonBlue.com/enrollfsa website to access the list of eligible expenses.

Who is the administrator for the Flexible Spending Account program?


What happens to my FSA when I terminate from Montclair?

  • Termination of FSA benefits occurs on the last day of the month in which employment is terminated unless the participant enrolls in COBRA for the Healthcare FSA. Please view the NJ Tax$ave Resource Guide for COBRA eligibility.
  • FSA claims can only be submitted for the time you were an active employee unless enrolled in COBRA.

What happens to my FSA if I am on a leave of absence without pay?

If you are not receiving pay and contributing towards your FSA then a termination will be placed on your account until you have returned from your leave. Once you have returned from your leave and are back on payroll the termination will be removed and you can submit any claims that may have occurred during your leave. Please note that your deductions will be adjusted to account for any missed pay periods.

Family Leave

After I have taken Family Leave for myself and to care for my newborn child, can I then take time off for vacation?

In any situation, the use of vacation time requires the prior approval of your supervisor.  A return from Family Leave is no different.

After my baby is born, do I need a doctor’s note stating when I can return to work?

Yes, this information must be provided by your physician in writing and submitted to your leave coordinator.

Do I earn pension credit while I am out on Family Leave?

You will not receive credit  for any time that you are without pay from MSU. PERS members can purchase up to three months pension service credit for medical leave. This is done by completing an Application to Purchase Service Credit via MBOS.

Do I earn vacation and sick time while I am out on unpaid leave?

You do not earn paid time off if you are on unpaid leave during an entire calendar month. You will earn vacation and sick time for any partial month that you received pay from the University which you will be entitled to when you return from the leave.

When do I add my baby to my health benefits?

How to Enroll or Request a Change in Benefits in Workday

Does my doctor complete the Certification of Health Care Provider form?

The Certification of Health Care Provider form must be completed by your physician and returned to your leave coordination within 15 days of your request. This form is required to determine FMLA/NJFLA eligibility.

Does the university allow me to work up to my expected due date?

Generally, yes.

How do I apply for New Jersey Family Leave Insurance (FLI)?

You can find information about the eligibility and application process on the State website at: https://myleavebenefits.nj.gov/worker/fli/

This process is not managed by MSU, you must follow the procedures specified on their website or contact a customer service representative at 609-292-7060.

How do I apply for Temporary Disability Insurance?

You can find information about the eligibility and application process on the State website at: https://myleavebenefits.nj.gov/labor/myleavebenefits/worker/tdi/ . Your physician will be required to complete Part B (Medical Certificate)

This process is not managed by MSU, you must follow the procedures specified on their website or contact a customer service representative at 609-292-7060

How do I continue my health benefits while I am out on Family Leave?

Your leave coordinator will send you a bill to pay for applicable employee premiums for your health plans if you are expected to be without pay during your leave. The amount for employee premiums can also be found in your check or on Workday.

How much will my health benefits cost when I am on Family Leave?

For 12 weeks under FMLA you will be required to pay the amount that is normally deducted from your paycheck to the Benefits Office. For coverage to continue after the first 3 months you must pay the monthly premium under COBRA.”]

I have numerous sick days. Can I use my sick days to stay home after my baby is born and get paid?

Mothers- Yes, but only during the period that you are unable to work as certified by your physician FMLA.

Fathers- Yes, if the Certification of Health Care Provider form is completed by the treating physician and returned to leave coordinator.

Must I use my sick, vacation or personal days?

You are not required to use PTO while caring for yourself or your newborn child.  However, you may use PTO to continue to receive income from the university concurrently with any FMLA and NJFLA entitlement.

Please keep in mind that while using paid time off, you are ineligible for Temporary Disability or Family Leave Insurance (TDI).

Who should I contact if I have additional questions?

Contact your coordinator in the Benefits Department or email benefits@montclair.edu

Tuition Waiver/Reimbursement

You may be eligible for the following Tuition Waiver/Reimbursement request types:

  • Employee Tuition Waiver/Reimbursement for Undergraduate Degree
  • Employee Tuition Waiver/Reimbursement for Graduate Degree
  • Dependent, Spouse, Civil Partner Tuition Waiver Application

When will the Tuition Waiver be credited into my account?

  • Once the Tuition Waiver is approved by Human Resources your account will be credited within 2-3 weeks from the date of

What are the deadlines to submit my Tuition Waiver/Reimbursement?

  • Fall semester August 17
  • Winter session December 6
  • Spring semester January 10
  • Summer sessions May 15

Who is ineligible for Tuition Waiver/Reimbursement?

  • Temporary employees
  • Part time employees
  • Summer hires or an interns
  • Adjuncts

Can my dependent apply for Tuition Waiver/Reimbursement for Winter Sessions?

  • Dependents are not eligible for Winter sessions

What are the maximum amount of credits eligible per fiscal year?

  • Managers -24 FY
  • AFT – 24 FY

What should I do if my manager has not approved my Tuition Waiver/Reimbursement?

  • Contact your manager to determine why your tuition Waiver/Reimbursement has not been approved.

How can I track my Tuition Waiver/Reimbursement after I have submitted my application in Workday?

  • You may track your Tuition Waiver/Reimbursement by accessing your Workday inbox and clicking on your tuition waiver

What are the required documentation and processing timelines to apply for Tuition Reimbursement?

  • All reimbursement requests must be received within 60 days of the course end date.
  • Reimbursement is given only for pre approved courses taken at accredited colleges or universities other than Montclair State University.
  • All submissions must include proper documentation:
  • List of courses
  • GPA
  • Proof of payment
  • Workday Expense Report
  • Finance will issue reimbursement via check to your home address
  • Please allow a minimum of 60 days for reimbursement processing

What is the Tuition Reimbursement per credit amount?

  • AFT: $175 per credit
  • Manager: $150 per credit
  • CWA/ PBA/ IFPTE-AFSCME: $150 per credit

I submitted my expense report for Tuition Reimbursement. What happens next?

  • Human Resources will review the proper documentation and expense report. If all requirements have been met, Human Resources will approve the request and forward to Finance for payment.

I have not received my reimbursement who should I contact

What information will I need to submit my Tuition Waiver/Reimbursement expense report?

  • Documents to Upload via Workday:
    • List of courses
    • GPA
    • Proof of payment

What documents are needed when applying for a Dependent Tuition Waiver?

  • Tax Return showing the dependent child that is applying for Tuition Waiver
  • Acceptance Letter (First-time applicants only)
  • Birth Certificate (First-time applicants only)

When submitting for tuition reimbursement what cost center and additional work tags should I enter?

  • Enter the cost center CC10307. Once you enter the Cost Center the Division and Worktags will automatically populate.

How do I know when Finance has mailed my Tuition Reimbursement check?

  • You may track the status of the reimbursement by clicking on the Expense Icon in the Workday home screen, then select your expense report under recent “Expense Reports”.

Why was my Tuition Waiver/Reimbursement denied?


  • Does not maintain a GPA of 2.00 or higher for study at the undergraduate level or a GPA of 3.0 or higher for study at the graduate level for each semester
  • Terminates employment before completing the course
  • Does not complete the course


  • Tuition waiver: please contact Students Accounts or hr-benefits@montclair.edu
  • Reimbursement: Dependents are not eligible for tuition reimbursement

What is the employee responsible for if the Tuition Waiver/Reimbursement is denied?

  • If the tuition Waiver is denied the employee will be responsible for the full cost

What steps should I take if I need to add/drop a course?

  • Before the add/drop date, You must notify Human Resources via email at hr-benefits@montclair.edu. You will need to provide a written statement with the reason for the change.

Who should I contact with questions regarding Tuition Waiver/Reimbursement?