When you leave employment at Montclair State University, there are some steps you will need to follow to help ensure it is a smooth process.
- Additional Processes
- University Property and Fines
- Ensure Proper Address is in Workday
- Important Post-Employment Information
- For Additional Information and Appointment Requests
Providing your supervisor with notification of your leaving two to four weeks in advance of your last day is best practice.
When you know you are leaving Montclair State University:
A. Resignation – Notify your direct supervisor by supplying a signed letter of resignation. Be sure to include your last day of employment.
B. Retirement – Request an appointment with the benefits department by calling 973-655-5293 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. After your retirement date is set, please notify your direct supervisor and submit a signed letter of retirement. Be sure to include your last day of employment.
Retirements usually occur the first day of the month. Unused, accrued, remaining vacation time may be applied prior to your retirement date. Please call 973-655-5293 or email email@example.com to make sure you have accrued the time you attend to use.
A. Exit Survey (Optional)
For continuous improvement, employees are encouraged to communicate their employment experience at Montclair State University by completing an on-line Exit Survey. A link will be emailed to you from Human Resources if you have turned in a resignation or retirement letter to Human Resources.
If you do not receive this email, contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may request an in-person interview as well.
B. Post-Employment Restrictions for Future Employment (Required)
It is a New Jersey requirement for you to review the NJ States Ethics Commission on post-employment rules and regulations.
A link will be emailed to you from Human Resources once you have turned in a resignation or retirement letter to Human Resources.
If you do not receive this email, contact Human Resources at email@example.com. You must acknowledge, in the online form, that you have received this information.
Please review the NJ States Ethics Commission on post-employment rules and regulations:
C. COBRA (Optional)
COBRA allows you to keep health benefits after employment ends. You will be billed for the coverage through the State of New Jersey.
Whether you desire COBRA coverage or not, paperwork will be mailed to your home address as listed within Workday. If you plan to move, please update your address in Workday. There is no need to fill in the paperwork unless you want to enroll in COBRA coverage.
For those who need assistance filling out the on-line documents, need access to a computer, or need any documents in a paper format, please contact Human Resources at 973-655-5293 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Work with your direct supervisor to ensure all university equipment and property, used while employed at Montclair State University, is returned.
An email will be sent to the departments listed below once we receive your retirement or resignation letter.
- Division of Information Technology
- Finance and Treasury
Each department is to contact you if there is a need to retrieve items or collect fines. This includes but is not limited to:
- Log into Workday prior to your last day to ensure that we have the most current and up-to-date mailing address for any potential tax information or other correspondence that may need to be mailed to you.
- We also recommend that you input a personal email address and phone into Workday, in the event the university needs to contact you.
- For information on how to update your address, see the Employee Self-Service Guide.
A. Systems Access – You will have access to University systems for 14 days after your last day of employment.
B. Continuation of Group Life Insurance – If you are interested in continuing your life insurance, please download the Continuation of Group Life Insurance (DOC) and follow instructions. This must be done within 31 days of the last day worked. It is only available for employees in a pension plan.
C. Leave Balances – Your leave balances will be available after your last day. You can view your remaining leave balance within Workday once it has been prorated by the timekeeper. If you are looking for leave balance information after the 14 day cut off, please submit a Workday Service ticket by emailing email@example.com or calling 973-655-7971, option 4.
E. W-2 – To print W-2s:
- Log into ADP.
- To register for an ADP account, follow the instructions in the Montclair State University Online W-2 How To Guide.
- To access all W-2s prior to 2016, please submit a Workday Service ticket by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 973-655-7971, option 4.
- ACA1095c: The Affordable Care Act Report (ACA1095c) will be mailed to you. This report is filed usually along with your taxes.
F. Employment Verification – For information about verification of employment, view Employment Verification.