Welcome to Montclair State University! Below you’ll find information to help you prepare for your first day and settle in once you’ve arrived.
Before You Arrive
- You will receive an email with an offer letter from the President, a copy of the job description, and orientation slides, as well as a reference sheet identifying the I-9 List of Acceptable Documents (PDF) and how to schedule an I-9 appointment.
- Sign your offer letter. Bring the signed letter and required I-9 documents when you come into the office to complete your I-9. At your appointment, you will be given a packet of information for new employees.
- Familiarize yourself with the Human Resources website.
- Complete the Federal and State W-4 forms.
- Learn more about Direct Deposit and complete the Payroll Direct Deposit Authorization Form.
- Determine which parking facility is closest to your respective location.
- If you have time, visit the campus and using the campus map, become familiar with where buildings are located.
- Read Montclair State University’s strategic plan and become more familiar with the website and university.
Your First Day
- Bring any completed forms that you were unable to complete prior to your first day.
- Read Workday Resources to learn more about the Workday system and log into Workday to complete your onboarding tasks.
- Get acquainted with your work area.
- Familiarize yourself with the technology in your work space (computer, phone, etc.)
- Find out who should be the main contact for questions in your work area.
- Ask about closing offices and any keys that you might need.
- Proceed to any Day Two items if your I-9 was processed during pre-arrival. If your I-9 was not processed prior to your first day, you must wait until Day Two to begin those items.
Your Second Day
- Activate your email using your CWID (Campus Wide Identifier) given to you by your supervisor. Please note that email activation must proceed parking and photo ID activation.
- Register your vehicle(s) for parking.
- Bring the completed Verification of Employment For Montclair State University ID Card form to the Student Center ID Card office to get a photo ID.
- Set up your voicemail greeting.
- Introduce yourself to as many people as possible.
- Submit a short list of basic supplies that you think you’ll need right away to get started, to the person responsible for supplies in your area.
- Review your job description.
- Review, with your supervisor, his/her expectations for your position and the performance review process.
- Ask your direct supervisor his/her preferred communication methods for information and issues: face to face, email, voicemail, and cell phone protocols.
Your First Week
- Complete online Gender-Based Conduct Prevention and Education training.
- Complete Ethics training.
- Complete Compliance Forms (Fire Safety, etc.)
- Sign up for the University’s Emergency Text Messaging Notification System, RAVE.
- Complete any outstanding paperwork and finalize benefit options with Human Resources.
- If desired, set up your personal cell phone to sync with your work calendar and email. Instructions are in the Faculty and Staff Services section of the Information Technology website.
- Review the methods of sick and vacation notices and other department procedures with your hiring manager.